Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 06:40 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,340,453 times

Advertisements

I never really understood this concept. What if we had all white colleges, all Spanish colleges? would you go to one of these if you were not? Is there a White College or any other?

NO I am not saying this as racist .. I just am trying to understand the concept behind it.

I personally feel what happen in history was ... that history it was not done to todays youth ......... maybe I don't understand how it is carried out or why??
Does that make since?

I could go through my ancestry and prove my Indian heritage .......... what was done to Native Americans was not right either ......but because that was done years ago, does that make anyone owe me anything?

I feel as an American our morals our out of place. Our statue as a human being are out of range. I think we need to look at ourselves inside ..not the color of skin or who we are - color- jones- race- ect........ and be who you are and be all that one can be!

Now I know I went off track here ..........and I am sure I will get my head ripped apart .. sorry if this offends anyone it was not ment to offend or insult ..but to better understand this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 09:29 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2beamissourian View Post
I never really understood this concept. What if we had all white colleges, all Spanish colleges? would you go to one of these if you were not? Is there a White College or any other?

NO I am not saying this as racist .. I just am trying to understand the concept behind it.

I personally feel what happen in history was ... that history it was not done to todays youth ......... maybe I don't understand how it is carried out or why??
Does that make since?

I could go through my ancestry and prove my Indian heritage .......... what was done to Native Americans was not right either ......but because that was done years ago, does that make anyone owe me anything?

I feel as an American our morals our out of place. Our statue as a human being are out of range. I think we need to look at ourselves inside ..not the color of skin or who we are - color- jones- race- ect........ and be who you are and be all that one can be!

Now I know I went off track here ..........and I am sure I will get my head ripped apart .. sorry if this offends anyone it was not ment to offend or insult ..but to better understand this.
Now, to answer you question. You made the statement that there are no all White colleges and that statement is totally false. The truth of the matter is that there are literally hundreds, if not thousands of colleges in the U.S. that are all white, they just do not call them "White colleges". Many, many colleges in the U.S. are between 95% and 100% all white, but again they just are not labled "white colleges. Please educate yourself, and take a look at books such as Peterson's College selection books and read for yourself the demographics of colleges, and you will see for yourself. Also, think about all the hundreds of all the majority white towns in states with virtuall no minority populations, such as Maine, New Hampshire, North Dekota, Montana, etc. Many colleges in these states are "all white". But again, they just are not labled as "White Colleges", however, in reality that is whate they are.

Secondly, it sounds like you do not know the history of black colleges or Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU'S) or why they were established. In summary, These colleges were established many years ago by the federal government, through land grants so that blacks who were released from slavery or freed blacks who were denied the right to an education could obtain one.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:00 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,393,679 times
As dorado0359 stated, Historically Black Colleges were founded because black students were not permitted to study alongside white students at one point in time. Furthermore, as the name "Historically" suggests, NONE of these universities bar non-black students from enrolling today and the majority of HCBUs have been slowly diversifying, especially at the graduate level.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:35 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Yeah, what they said... One must study and understand the history behind these, before you can wag your finger and call it racist. Not saying the original poster was doing that, but I've heard this debate time & time again. And like the other posts stated, ANYONE is welcomed to attend these colleges today - unlike universities in the "old days", which wouldn't even allow non-Whites to apply.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:33 AM

51 posts, read 129,089 times
This just really pisses me off. I've never once heard anyone ask for example: Gee, how can Notre Dame be a catholic university? How can they get away with excluding non catholics? That's because no one really thinks any university could exclude based race, religion, etc. Yet we always get these "questions" regarding HISTORICALLY black colleges. And always with the caveat "I'm just ignorant, I'm not trying to offend anyone". Oh please!

Old 07-06-2007, 09:08 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
Many of the students go to a Historic Black College for the same reason that students go to Yale or Harvard or Columbia. It's a family tradition. Daddy went there, so did Granddaddy.

We also have Historic Black Churches, Historic Black Cemeteries, Historic Black Libraries and Historic Black Communities. They are all HISTORIC and we are proud to be part of them. And guess what!!! Many white are proud to be part of that tradition.

Would you rather we pretend that they have NO historic significance?

Old 07-06-2007, 10:42 AM

177 posts, read 613,945 times
Yeah...these guys pretty much wrapped it up. I went to a predominately white college MTSU(Middle Tennessee State University the largest in the state). My girlfriend attended TSU(Tennessee State University), which is an HBCU. I must admit, there are plusses and minuses to both.

I personally believe I had a truer experience at MTSU because there was more diversity. Every race, religion, ethnic group, class, culture, etc. was represented there. I feel I had exposure to things and people she didn't. But on the other hand, there was a loyalty and comradery TSU has that I'm afraid MTSU will never experience. MTSU seemed like a commodity that people were there to use for themselves. TSU had a life and a spirit that seemed to flow among the students, faculty, and alumni. Sure we had more money and probably better resources, but there was a heritage at TSU that gave the students, faculty, and alumni a pride non-black MTSU students probably don't understand.

I have to say...I'm hoping to do y Grad study at an HBCU. I doubt I can because I don't think any offer my course of study. But it is a heritage thing. ANd yes...there are whites who attend and get "Minority Scholarships". They do it at Fisk too...

I think it was so funny that when MTSU played TSU, MTSU looked so corny. TSU's band killed us. And they would even mok MTSU on the field. It was hilarious. All the black students at MTSU wanted to be from TSU during half-time.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:05 PM

I never said anything in a racist tone .. and I stated that .. I just wanted to understand ... so thats why I posted - I did not lash out at anyone calling them ignorant ....... I'm not ignorant just knowledgeable in this area.. so in saying this your post came back very defensive - I am sorry that I made people come to a defense mode.

Someone states it above ..there maybe 90% white college but they do not say "WHITE COLLEGE" .. as "BLACK COLLEGES DO"
My point was things that happen long time ago are still being pressured today as if they still happen. Maybe they do and I just don't see that part.

My Grandmother use to work in a restaurant and she hated the way blacks were treated (she use to tell me stories all the time) she said they were not allowed to eat inside but could order at the back door. When she took her break she would go out among them because they were easier for her to communicate / fit in. her best friend nick name was "Jitter Bug" - this lady is 84 years old this year ...and she taught me to dance before my school dances and dance try outs! She was part of my family .. my point is Im not racist! I just did not understand!

There are white communities and black communities - I dont hear them being called that white town or that black town ........... Maybe in other parts of the world it happens .. maybe really close to me .. Maybe my deaf ear falls in that direction.

I wish to learn about other cultures but often what happens is road blocks come up because people throw a race card... I am sorry if anyone feels I threw a card out like this ..honest I did not mean anything other than to understand.

The year is 2007 - tell me this is there a school that rejects you based on your color? Or can a black, white , asian and mexicans all go to school and sit beside one another?

Last edited by 2beamissourian; 07-06-2007 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: mispelling

Old 07-06-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOldLompac View Post
This just really pisses me off. I've never once heard anyone ask for example: Gee, how can Notre Dame be a catholic university? How can they get away with excluding non catholics? That's because no one really thinks any university could exclude based race, religion, etc. Yet we always get these "questions" regarding HISTORICALLY black colleges. And always with the caveat "I'm just ignorant, I'm not trying to offend anyone". Oh please!
Race ..everyone has a different skin color ..we come from different back grounds this dont mean we can't talk to each other like normal human beings.

While religion on the other hand has clashing beliefs

I wonder if we could go blind for a day and see if we could "see" past our skin and see what is truly there!

We need to let go of past grudges that were not against our time as humans and live for the now. Make the world a better place instead of dragging us back to the hell we use to make it!

Old 07-06-2007, 01:06 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
The operative word is Historic. Just as we have Historic Black Hospitals, we have Historic Black colleges. It was very important when they were founded as a college for the Blacks that were barred from the other colleges. They are as important as the Liberty Bell and Plymouth rock. The present day enrollment has nothing to do with it.

In my city, if you want a degree in Business Administration, You go to the Black college. A degree in Nursing means the other one. I see no reason not to be proud of the fact that one is Historically important as a college that was first created for Blacks. And the other one isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities