Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 06:36 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,714,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaChichi View Post
I asked him how the son was going to pay, and he said he should be able to get some merit scholarships and then loans. Really when you think about it, what is wrong with that? Somebody has to earn the dollar whether it be for the tuition or repayment of the student loan.... why should it be the dads money for post high school education?

Something else, this isn't just about job training. The son wants the whole college life package.... living on campus, etc. Nothing wrong with that but to me that IS a luxury compared to getting a degree at a state school and commuting with a part time job. Does the economy only affect parents? My feeling is if the child wants the whole college life palooza then he should foot the bill.... even if it is later when he gets a job. I realize some parents have the money to foot those bills without compromising their own desires, but that is not the case here. This guy is middle class, and it would be a sacrifice. Why shouldn't the son be the one to sacrifice, it is his (adult) life?
Most loans for teenagers are required to be taken out by the parents since they are the only ones with an income. Is he also unwilling to sign the loan papers?

For this "Dad" its obvious that his own desires (interesting choice of word btw) is more important than his child's education. That is 100% legal, its just pretty crappy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 06:42 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,497,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaChichi View Post
Asking this for a friend of mine who is a divorced father of three. Legally he is not required to pay for college, but his ex wife thinks he has a moral obligation. Does he? His oldest son is starting to apply for college, and is very resentful his father isn't kicking in.... dad could, but it would set dad back a few years on his own retirement. For all of son's life dad has worked, the ex did not.... ex moved the kids when they were little so dad isn't all that close to his kids. Mostly he feels like a wallet.

Do kids these days expect parents to pay for college?
Thought it might be a good time to bring back the OP. ^ Talk about illegal immigrants is off topic for this forum, and besides to get federal funding you must be a US citizen and provide social security numbers.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:42 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,820,271 times
I don't think parents owe their kids an education. I do however think it is stupid as another poster mentioned, that kids' loans/grants are based on their parent(s) income. That's what happened to me the first time I went to college and my mom wasn't investing in it.

Also, college kids can work and go to school at the same time. It's very tough but possible. One just has to be pretty self-disciplined to do that.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:57 PM

809 posts, read 1,330,003 times
"Actually if parents are divorced not only do both their incomes count so do their new spouses."

This was posted a few posts ago- sorry I couldn't get it to be quoted!

You are incorrect- if parents are divorced you use the income of the parent you live with.If that parent is remarried then you use income of the parent and the stepparent. If you live with both parents equally, you use the income of the parent that has provided more support during the past year - if that parent is remarried you use the parent and income of the stepparent.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:26 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,820,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
If you live with both parents equally, you use the income of the parent that has provided more support during the past year - if that parent is remarried you use the parent and income of the stepparent.
That is sooo wrong! A stepparent most often is not a parent to the kid! Why would they want that responsibility???

Old 03-01-2011, 08:38 PM

809 posts, read 1,330,003 times
I didn't say it was right - if a parent is remarried the student must use info from both. It may not be right, but it's the law, if a student wants financial aid. Many colleges require the FAFSA be filled out even if they are receiving merit scholarships.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:02 AM

346 posts, read 739,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Times are different. Let's face it most of the parents in this thread that have kids lived in a time that for the most part was cheaper. A math or biology textbook back in the 80s was hardly the $150 book it is nowadays. The dollar has lost ~ 70% of its value in the past 50 years. And it's only getting worse. Parents need to learn basic economics before they try to send their kids off to the school of hard knocks. After all it was the baby boomers and their kids who have created our debt based economic system not my generation (30 year olds).
Finally someone with some sense, I see that youre younger as well. I am one of those 21 year olds in college, fortunately I have parents who are very reasonable, my first two years I went to a junior college and actually paid for my own school, but I knew that once I needed to go to a university for my last two years that my parents would have my back, which they do. And yes I always have thought that if anybody could foot the bill for an average state school, which is around 100,000 over four years then you don't need to go to college in the first place. You obviously already have plenty of money, that you could invest in business, real estate, or whatever you choose.
The old timers who talk that I paid my own way crap weren't paying anymore than about 2000 a year for school, school nowdays just tuition, and fees is like 13K a year if you need to live on campus thats another 5K a semester or 10K a year.
If you have 20 grand plus to blow, not to mentoin basic needs then again you dont need college really, since the whole point in college is to get an education in order to be able to get a decent job. Not to mention that THERE ARE NO JOBS NOW. Even working 36 hrs a weeek while in school, the most i have ever made off of that 9$ an hr is like 10,000 a year, much less than the cost of school. So to pay for your own school is imposible.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:08 AM

346 posts, read 739,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
I went to a tech school.
Self employed, I own 2 business, for over 28 years now,
Thanks.
Your gamer could use some work also. Someday I hope to type & spell as well as you do.
My wife alone makes 89k+ and she didn't go to callage.

So what your hoping to do is blackmail your children into taking care of you.
(I paid for your collage you should take care of me.)

We took care of them for 18 year or anytime they need a place to live. we took them back in..

As a lot of people of my generation I have a well put together retirement package. Some people use there estates to pay for a nursing home.
I really don't care if it is a state run or private nursing home. If your senile and dolling all over your self it really doesn't matter what color the wall is.

Like the Op, my Q is why do feel obligated to pay for there collage. Who or where did you get brainwashed into this way of thinking? Your really not helping them learn about life if you give them everything.
Again why dont you just be thankfull that you were fortunate enough to come through in a time where america was ALOT wealthier as a nation and was the land of opportunity in a way that it isn't anymore. A story like yours isn't hardly possible without college now. If you tried that fresh out of high school in 2011 you wouldn't have been able to afford to send yourself to school, in the day of 15K dollar yearly tuitions and 4.00/gallon gas. And starting that business would have had wayyyy more red tape and cost alot more, I know because im trying to start a business and the old timers cant believe all of the extra regulations and fees that have been created just in the past 15 years. So count yourself lucky, thats all.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:31 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,465,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300zxtwinturbo View Post
Finally someone with some sense, I see that youre younger as well. I am one of those 21 year olds in college, fortunately I have parents who are very reasonable, my first two years I went to a junior college and actually paid for my own school, but I knew that once I needed to go to a university for my last two years that my parents would have my back, which they do. And yes I always have thought that if anybody could foot the bill for an average state school, which is around 100,000 over four years then you don't need to go to college in the first place. You obviously already have plenty of money, that you could invest in business, real estate, or whatever you choose.
The old timers who talk that I paid my own way crap weren't paying anymore than about 2000 a year for school, school nowdays just tuition, and fees is like 13K a year if you need to live on campus thats another 5K a semester or 10K a year.
If you have 20 grand plus to blow, not to mentoin basic needs then again you dont need college really, since the whole point in college is to get an education in order to be able to get a decent job. Not to mention that THERE ARE NO JOBS NOW. Even working 36 hrs a weeek while in school, the most i have ever made off of that 9$ an hr is like 10,000 a year, much less than the cost of school. So to pay for your own school is imposible.
Exactly. Supporting yourself during college is an oxymoron because if you can afford to support yourself, you don't need college.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:33 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,666,116 times
why would you not be there as you can for your children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities