Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 05:25 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,040,813 times

Advertisements

This thread is a perfect example of why Americans are so behind in education and why countries like India and China are outpacing us. Indians and Chinese come to this country and they take care of each other. They help each other open businesses, they pool their money, parents sacrifice whatever they can for their kids to succeed and go to college. The kids also work very hard but without their parents financial support most wouldn't make it. Asians are very successful business owners because as a family they want to see each other succeed. I see it every day. Meanwhile most Americans live their lives completely independent from each other as a family structure.

I mean listen to some of you. It's not a parents obligation to pay for their kids college? Some of you have an almost nihilistic attitude about it. Like a social darwinistic approach to your own kids. College isn't a privilege nowadays it's a necessity. Things have changed. It's not about buying your kids a fancy car when they turn driving age or providing them with a sweet sixteen birthday party, or giving them a down payment on a house or any other privilege. It's about basic survival in a 21st century society. Look at all the obesity out there as a perfect example of just how bad some American parents are nowadays. I don't see many fat Asians or Indians that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 05:30 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,943,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
This thread is a perfect example of why Americans are so behind in education and why countries like India and China are outpacing us. Indians and Chinese come to this country and they take care of each other. They help each other open businesses, they pool their money, parents sacrifice whatever they can for their kids to succeed and go to college. The kids also work very hard but without their parents financial support most wouldn't make it. Asians are very successful business owners because as a family they want to see each other succeed. I see it every day. Meanwhile most Americans live their lives completely independent from each other as a family structure.

I mean listen to some of you. It's not a parents obligation to pay for their kids college? Some of you have an almost nihilistic attitude about it. Like a social darwinistic approach to your own kids. College isn't a privilege nowadays it's a necessity. Things have changed. It's not about buying your kids a fancy car when they turn driving age or providing them with a sweet sixteen birthday party, or giving them a down payment on a house or any other privilege. It's about basic survival in a 21st century society. Look at all the obesity out there as a perfect example of just how bad some American parents are nowadays. I don't see many fat Asians or Indians that much.
Really?!? Then you aren't looking very closely. Many cultures force their children to take part in their businesses. It isn't choice. I work with many of them each and every day. They don't enjoy what they do, but they are expected to continue in the business. So, they do. If you are going to pay for your children's education, make sure that they get one that is not only a necessity but useful. Does a degree in radio broadcasting sound smart? Sure, a kid may think that is what they want to do, but why not get a more versatile degree. There is a difference between the American and other cultures. Frankly, I am happy that my parents didn't force me to take over their business. It wasn't my cup of tea and I now get to do something that I love and make good money with. I choose happiness over your example.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
I think taking care of current expenses takes priority over any other options and it is easy enough to say that anyone can invest, but when someone lives paycheck to paycheck that isn't always feasible. Not all pregnancies are planned. Regardless, getting back to the OP, no parent should be expected to pay for their children's education. Kids should work as soon as they are old enough to, focus on their studies and excel. There are many scholarships out there - maybe not the ones thorough the University site but the guidance counselors at high schools have lists and lists of scholarships waiting to be claimed. There is value having to work hard for what you achieve. Our latest generations need to learn that rather than having everything handed to them. What is the point of working hard to send your child to college only to have them move back in with you after graduation? Should parents also be responsible for that?

What do children learn if they don't have to earn one thing in life? It isn't about class - it is about parenting. If you are rich or poor, you have no obligation in continuing to provide for your children.
Myths about College Scholarships

Myth 1: Billions of college scholarship dollars go unclaimed
This common myth fails to mention that employer-paid education benefits are included in that total, and out of all those supposedly unclaimed scholarships, employee benefits account for about 85 percent. In reality, the number of unused scholarships is much, much smaller.

Myth 4: I'm a top student, so university scholarships will come to me

Many of these "unclaimed" scholarships are one time awards of $500-$1000, as well. Since it costs close to $20K/yr to go to an instate school, these awards, while helpful, do not cover much.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Really?!? Then you aren't looking very closely. Many cultures force their children to take part in their businesses. It isn't choice. I work with many of them each and every day. They don't enjoy what they do, but they are expected to continue in the business. So, they do. If you are going to pay for your children's education, make sure that they get one that is not only a necessity but useful. Does a degree in radio broadcasting sound smart? Sure, a kid may think that is what they want to do, but why not get a more versatile degree. There is a difference between the American and other cultures. Frankly, I am happy that my parents didn't force me to take over their business. It wasn't my cup of tea and I now get to do something that I love and make good money with. I choose happiness over your example.
You have statistics backing up your claim that many Asian and Indian parents force their kids to take over their businesses? That couldn't be further from he truth........atleast not here in California. Most of the time the parents start their own business because that is all they know how to do. College was out of reach for them. And many Asians I talk to that have kids in college knew the importance of sending their kids to college so their children wouldn't end up being restuarant owners and dry cleaners all their lives. The bottomline is American kids are failing miserably collectively compared to their Asian counterpart here in America. Asians put a very high value on education and setting their kids up for success. Go to Irvine, CA. It's filled with Asians competing to get into the best high schools. In fact that is why Irvine probably has some of the best high schools around. I work with many Asian people and they are very proactive in their children's lives and setting them up for success. Much more so than the average caucasian American of the same income bracket.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Myths about College Scholarships

Myth 1: Billions of college scholarship dollars go unclaimed
This common myth fails to mention that employer-paid education benefits are included in that total, and out of all those supposedly unclaimed scholarships, employee benefits account for about 85 percent. In reality, the number of unused scholarships is much, much smaller.

Myth 4: I'm a top student, so university scholarships will come to me

Many of these "unclaimed" scholarships are one time awards of $500-$1000, as well. Since it costs close to $20K/yr to go to an instate school, these awards, while helpful, do not cover much.
'

Most employee paid education benefits are a joke and they are hardly scholarships. They are reimbursements and so that still means people have to come up with the money in the meantime. Also they cover maybe one course a year if you go at their pace of reimbursement. Plus most corporations or companies that even have employee paid education probably require some sort of degree or educational requirement to land the job in the first place.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:07 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post

Most of the people I know that had a financial interest in their schooling did just fine where almost ALL of those that had mom and dad pay 100% went on the 6 year plan or floundered and never really finished.
My parents paid 100% for my college education and I finished in four years with a bachelor's degree. There was never a question about me finishing on time. There are always exceptions I guess.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
My parents paid 100% for my college education and I finished in four years with a bachelor's degree. There was never a question about me finishing on time. There are always exceptions I guess.
You are not an exception. That is another myth.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:58 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,362 times
Similar situation as BigDGeek. Mom and Grandpa pay, which is a great help as without my grandfather, I'd be dead in the water. My father kicks in what he can, but its insignificant compared with what my grandfather can contribute.

I'll be broke when I graduate in 2012, but I'll have spent 4 years abroad and without debt.

Parents need to reconsider the necessity of paying for college or vocational school. HS alone or an associate degree will land the kid a rich career which begins at the deep fryer to culminate at the cash register.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:03 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,785,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Most of the people I know that had a financial interest in their schooling did just fine where almost ALL of those that had mom and dad pay 100% went on the 6 year plan or floundered and never really finished.
I totally disagree with this, and dislike reading this over and over on these boards. My parents raised me to be responsible with money and to value education. They paid each and every dime for me, my brother, and sister to attend college. (Although, I did work summers and had a part-time job my senior year.) All three of us graduated on time in exactly 4 years. Most of my friends' parents (I can think of at least 50 people) paid for their college, too, and they all graduated on time. These are all people whose families value education regardless of who pays for it.

If people only value their education if they pay for it themselves, that tells me that they are not responsible people. Do they throw away or otherwise waste other special gifts people give them such as a Blackberry or a computer? Would they be irresponsible with a car if they won one in a contest? Why is it that some people only become responsible about their college education if they pay for it themselves? Does it mean they weren't raised to be responsible or appreciate things that are given to them? I wasn't raised that way.

Last edited by michgc; 11-02-2010 at 07:19 PM..

Old 11-02-2010, 07:21 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,785,332 times
Wow, what high-IQ ethnic groups are these? Please enlighten us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
What really got me mad was being at expensive schools, struggling to pay tens of thousands of dollars for tuition, and listening to the Shari & Barry types from Jersey, talking about how to hide their own personal wealth, in order to qualify for scholarships. And there are several high-IQ ethnic groups in the country, now, adept at milking the system in unfair ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities