Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 11:00 AM

1,073 posts, read 622,334 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I could use some advice. I'm a college junior majoring in Computer Science. I've always liked computers, the internet, and math (same analytical thought process)...so this is a good spot for me in that regard. Also I'm doing well in my classwork.

However, I'm a little different than most of my fellow CS majors. You see, I'm a sports fanatic-- playing and watching. That is what I do in my free time. Most of the other CS majors are into playing video games and talking about science fiction movies. I would say I can talk sports to about 5-10% of the CS majors. The rest, I don't have much in common with. Should I change majors because of this? What do you think?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 11:55 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
Hi,
I could use some advice. I'm a college junior majoring in Computer Science. I've always liked computers, the internet, and math (same analytical thought process)...so this is a good spot for me in that regard. Also I'm doing well in my classwork.

However, I'm a little different than most of my fellow CS majors. You see, I'm a sports fanatic-- playing and watching. That is what I do in my free time. Most of the other CS majors are into playing video games and talking about science fiction movies. I would say I can talk sports to about 5-10% of the CS majors. The rest, I don't have much in common with. Should I change majors because of this? What do you think?

Thanks
Um... NO!!!

Eventually you will be out of college and working with other CS majors AND OTHER MAJORS (Business, engineering, HR,...etc). Then you can talk to the other majors about your interests. I'd say the solution for you would be to make some friends outside of CS, friends you can talk to about your interests. CS is about programming...etc-- not playing video games, or science fiction movies-- so it isn't like you will be doing any of that in your future job.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:59 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,919,071 times
No way. Don't give up something you enjoy just because you have different interests from the people in your classes.

I say: keep studying CS, find other interests that you may have in common with the CS people, and discuss sports with friends from outside the major (maybe your school even has a club or something for sports fans?).

Old 11-05-2010, 12:14 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Nope. It's good to be well rounded and have a life outside your major because when it comes to the real world that's how it is. And it's always fun to be the one who is "different" in any group you are part of. Believe me, it will make you stand out and get noticed.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:32 PM

917 posts, read 2,947,925 times
My brother was a CS major and played soccer and was in a hand bell choir. He's traveled all over the world, has lots of friends. Your major doesn't define your whole life, just what you are studying.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:43 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Nope. It's good to be well rounded and have a life outside your major because when it comes to the real world that's how it is. And it's always fun to be the one who is "different" in any group you are part of. Believe me, it will make you stand out and get noticed.
This advice is absolutely correct. You won't be seen as some computer geek and be pigeonholed. In my husbands industry, there are a lot of engineers and scientists. There are the ones that are the technical nerds and the ones who are more well rounded. The more well rounded are the one who are being promoted because they can work better and just generally mesh better with other disciplines.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:05 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,031 times
Very good advice from all the people above.

Get to know your fellow students better, and you will be surprise...there is more to them then just computer games, and sci-fi movies. Just remember that CS students tends to be introverts ... so it's always harder to get to know them.

I still keep in touch with my friends from CS (10 years later). After spending 4 years together, on countless assignments, late nights in the computer labs (midnight chicken wing & pizza runs), it builds friendships. I know that under other circumstances, we probably wouldn't have been friends. But we appreciate each other for our differences. And people grow and learn from each other.

I was never into video games, or sci fi movies. I am very much into the visual arts, speak 4 languages, a foodie, globetrotting, english lit, history...pretty much ANYTHING not computer related in my off hours. I don't read tech books for fun. My friends...well...let just say there was dead silence when I said "Yeah...I don't really like Star Wars" (I prefer Star Trek)...and oh I am a girl! Hell, just this week, I had a friend come into town for a conference, and we met up for dinner with a colleague of his. Conversation suddenly turned to the new Xbox Kinect that they were both eagerly awaiting...and I totally had no idea what they were talking about!

Old 11-05-2010, 01:07 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,376,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
Hi,

Thanks

You remind me of my family... At engineering school and at engineering companies, my spouse and I stood out. We both played sports and were more socially (let's say) "mainstream" than other engineers (e.g. in college we preferred football tailgate parties over video gaming, internet, etc.)

There are lots of things you learn on sports teams that transfer into good management, leadership, and team skills. Coupling these skills with a strong technical/analytical background really makes you a stand out in the workforce. This was an advantage for moving into technical sales, management, and finally into starting our own company. In the workforce, you may find more people you can relate to.

Now our kids are the same way. They are in advanced math/science courses, but are also heavy into playing travel sports. They are on both the Math team and the football team. It seems that most of their friends are either "jocks" or "geeks" with relatively few being both. This is something I've had to manage with one of my sons as he gets a bit embarassed about missing football practice for math or chess competition. But I think he is realizing that this does make him special and unique and is an advantage. Good luck with this as I understand where you're coming from.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:27 PM

1,073 posts, read 622,334 times
These are all great replies thank you. I do enjoy programming, creating web pages and I make really good grades in my classes thus far so I think changing majors would be a bad idea.

I do have many friends outside of my major but I was just feeling down becasue many of the CS guys aren't into what I'm into. On the other hand, there are a handful of CS majors that do talk sports with so that is good.

Now I was talking to a career advisor and she said the same thing many of you are saying about if you are technical AND can communicate/be social you can go really far in IT or Engineering technical management...while the introverts would not. So, it's lining up pretty good with what you all are saying.

Last edited by SeminoleTom; 11-05-2010 at 01:38 PM..

Old 11-05-2010, 01:35 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
I agree with the gnomatic as well. Try getting to know them better, you might be surprised and you might get them interested in sports. I have a son that is also a junior in college, and virtually all of his friends are from other majors, mostly engineering. He was never really into sports much, but after getting to know all these different people, through his dorm and fraternity, he has become a sports fanatic. On a recent visit, my husband and I were just shocked at the change in him. It looked like our son, but it didn't sound like our son.

Also, have you tried connecting with students from other majors, maybe through various organizations on campus or intermurals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities