U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2010, 12:13 PM

2 posts, read 13,407 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

I'm looking for a flexible, online PhD program in Health or Clinical psychology. I looked at Walden and Capella, but they both require trips to the states to complete the course. I live in Europe, and that's a long way to travel!

Does anyone know of online programs that are either Europe-based, or don't require travel?

Thanks!
J
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 12:19 PM

3,105 posts, read 6,591,767 times
Online education programs are generally scams and have little employment value. Employers will look at those kinds of degrees and laugh. If professional licensure is required to work in the field, are such programs even eligible for licensure? I suggest doing a lot of research, first. This program may be of interest:

FRONTLINE: college, inc. | PBS

You might be interested in the part about people who were duped into PhD. psychology programs at for-profit colleges who discovered that they were ineligible for licensing and that their degrees essentially had no value.

IMHO, the only legitimate, worthwhile higher education is at state universities, traditional private colleges, and inexpensive county community colleges.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:08 AM

2 posts, read 13,407 times
AH, fair enough. My main motivation in searching for an online program is that I hate the classroom experience. I find it to be a total waste of time. But if that's what it takes, I'd rather deal with it than end up with a useless degree.
Thank you!

Old 11-06-2010, 02:53 PM

2,327 posts, read 6,514,674 times
To be fair, I don't know why online Ph.D's aren't more common. A good friend of mine is working on his Ph.D in History at Ohio State University. For him, it's a 4 year program (he came in with an M.A.). The first year, maybe year and 1/2...he had classes. Now he is just a T.A. (teaching assistant) and needs to work on his dissertation. So he spends most of his time in libraries anyway.

As long as you have access to suitable research facilities....you do not have to be sitting in class somewhere!

With that being said, it is hard to find such facilities off-campus. But it depends on your field.

But yes, I can attest to online Ph.D's being seen as inferior. The department in the college that I work in won't hire any faculty that got their doctorate online.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:49 PM

4,805 posts, read 18,280,929 times
Online and for-profit are not interchangeable terms. For-profit schools are almost certainly scams. Not all online programs are though. In fact there are many long-established, reputable state and private universities that offer degrees online. OP, do a search on this forum because there are several threads with fairly comprehensive lists of reputable schools offering online degrees. Not sure about clinical psychology specifically, but definitely for graduate and post-graduate programs.

As for a PhD program, the primary hurdle would be that research is typically a major component of a doctorate program. It's rather hard to do research from home. Typically you need laboratory equipment or other campus resources, as well as a team of researchers or leadership of faculty.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:15 AM

1 posts, read 6,584 times
Default online PhD degree

University of Phoenix, CapellaUniversity, WaldenUniversity, UticaCollege and some other Colleges provides online education facilities specially for online phD degree. read more... http://hubpages.com/hub/how-to-get-online-PhD-degree

Old 11-26-2010, 12:35 AM

17,252 posts, read 16,776,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
Online education programs are generally scams and have little employment value. Employers will look at those kinds of degrees and laugh. If professional licensure is required to work in the field, are such programs even eligible for licensure? I suggest doing a lot of research, first. This program may be of interest:

You might be interested in the part about people who were duped into PhD. psychology programs at for-profit colleges who discovered that they were ineligible for licensing and that their degrees essentially had no value.

IMHO, the only legitimate, worthwhile higher education is at state universities, traditional private colleges, and inexpensive county community colleges.
Many State Universities and prominent private universities also offer online graduate level and above programs

Online Degree Programs | Academic Technology Services | ITS | CSU

Universities with the Best Free Online Courses

Online Education Search - US News and World Report

Old 11-26-2010, 12:43 AM

14,331 posts, read 17,870,295 times
Default Hogwash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post

The fact that this is your opinion is about all that is relevant about this post. A link doesn't legitimize your opinion either.

I have a different opinion. I think that a person should get whatever degree they desire in any manner that suits their particular circumstance, and here in the 21st century, online degrees are an exceptional option. Many of these schools have national accreditation, but this does not means that regional accreditation will never be obtained. Just that the accreditation process is terribly long. Employers who shun such degrees are either incredibly short-sighted or misinformed.

WHAT you know is far more important than where you learned it in today's international economy. Foreigners by the hundreds of thousands are thriving in this country with degrees from foreign schools that employers know little about. These workers are intelligent, know their stuff, have a great work ethic, and do quite well here.

To the OP, take a look at Walden University and Northcentral University.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:48 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,868,202 times
I have a Master's degree from University of Colorado at Boulder Engineering School, that I got in residence. This is a top-50 engineering school and the program was incredibly rigorous; I was also accepted to other top-50 schools.

You can get this exact degree online. I picked CU for location and the particular program, and didn't give it a second thought.

Did the fact there were 'online' students cheapen my educational experience? Not a bit.

Online != bad. Just pick a good program from a reputable school.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:24 PM

7,667 posts, read 10,941,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
I have a Master's degree from University of Colorado at Boulder Engineering School, that I got in residence. This is a top-50 engineering school and the program was incredibly rigorous; I was also accepted to other top-50 schools.

You can get this exact degree online. I picked CU for location and the particular program, and didn't give it a second thought.

Did the fact there were 'online' students cheapen my educational experience? Not a bit.

Online != bad. Just pick a good program from a reputable school.
Even if you thought is was a quality program, employers equate online degree with joke/hack. If you are doing a degree for knowledge you are better off auditing/independent learning. The purpose of a degree is to have bonafide qualifications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities