U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2010, 08:56 PM

252 posts, read 505,277 times

Advertisements

I am currently pursuing a master's degree in elementary administration to become an elementary school principal. I enjoy everything about graduate school from the projects to the networking with my colleagues who are teaching in urban areas while I am teaching in a rural area. I am contemplating whether I should pursue a doctorate degree or just be debt-free.

If you are asking how old I am, I am 25.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 10:56 AM

25,165 posts, read 47,076,533 times
How are you debt free with your master's degree? Saved up?

Old 11-07-2010, 02:14 PM

252 posts, read 505,277 times
I never used any loans to fund my master's degree. I am currently attending The Citadel, which it is a military college in Charleston, SC. Anyhoo, they have payment plans where I would pay at least five times during a semester which I will take one class per semester while paying off my undergrad loan which is quite small. I also participate in a program where if I were to teach for certain amount of years in their "geographic location" that my loans will be forgiven or they would take a portion out from my loan.

In a way I like the title of "Doctor" but at the same time, I felt as though I should travel to see places other than my home state of SC.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:09 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,554,885 times
Just from an outsiders point of view, a masters degree should be just fine for an Elementry principal, Doctor kind of seems like overkill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities