Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 04:13 PM

713 posts, read 3,431,453 times

Advertisements

Already in my Freshman year of school and have changed my major from Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, and Accounting and now the arrow points to Mathematics. My plan is now to get a BS in Mathematics with a minor in Education so that I can teach at the High School level and then work on getting my Masters in Mathematics as well. Any advice on this? Good or Bad or Crazy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 04:27 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,423,742 times
As an engineer, math minor with a MS in Computer Science I think it is great! IMO you are definitely picking the hardest route but also the most rewarding. Sometimes I kick around the idea of getting a PhD to teach Comp Sci and Math classes at the college level.

The only way it can be bad or crazy is if you totally underestimate the mental strain of teaching to high school students.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:42 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,914,817 times
There is a lot you can do with a mathematics degree.

Is your dream job teaching math in High School ? If so, you definitely do want to major in math. You are doing it exactly right. I'm not sure you need a master's degree, though. Rather, I think education classes, and student teaching would be more helpful.

I would recommend talking to a career counselor at your school about your ideas this year. That's what they are there for. They can help you get in touch with people who can help you learn what you need to do to be a teacher. They'll tell you how to talk to teachers on your alumni network. In doing so, you will be getting an early start, and be way ahead of your peers who don't start thinking about this stuff until Senior year.

It is never too early to talk to your career counselor, look for internship opportunities, talk to your alumni network about what you need to do to pursue your career goals, etc. Every student should do this their Freshman year, but you'll be one of the few who does.

You're ahead of the game !!!!!!!!!!

Study hard and don't become an alcoholic.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:04 PM

543 posts, read 1,376,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post
Already in my Freshman year of school and have changed my major from Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, and Accounting and now the arrow points to Mathematics. My plan is now to get a BS in Mathematics with a minor in Education so that I can teach at the High School level and then work on getting my Masters in Mathematics as well. Any advice on this? Good or Bad or Crazy
Take a lot of statistics and that'll open up some avenues into becoming an actuary or an analytical position in case you find out you don't like education.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:33 PM

I think I said that wrong... I am in my Freshman year of COLLEGE.....

Sorry for the mistake and am sorry for any confusion. My bad...

Old 11-08-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I think I said that wrong... I am in my Freshman year of COLLEGE.....

Sorry for the mistake and am sorry for any confusion. My bad...
No problem. After all, this is the "college and universities" forum, and you talked about your major. People don't have majors in high school.

If you think I was confused in my post, I wasn't. I understood that you are in college. As a Freshman in college, it is a good idea to talk to your college's career counseling office about your future plans, and definitely ask them to help you contact the alumni network. There should be some recent graduates who are teachers who have volunteered to talk to students.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:34 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,852,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezman View Post
Take a lot of statistics and that'll open up some avenues into becoming an actuary or an analytical position in case you find out you don't like education.
I had a friend that was a math major that went on to become a math teacher. His one comment was that he never gets to teach anything beyond what he learned as a freshman in college (i.e. Calculus). So you pretty much need to make sure your interest in education is stronger than your interest in math.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:07 PM

@Davros Just thought you meant HS when you mentioned people not thinking about their major till their senior year, sorry for getting it confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
I had a friend that was a math major that went on to become a math teacher. His one comment was that he never gets to teach anything beyond what he learned as a freshman in college (i.e. Calculus). So you pretty much need to make sure your interest in education is stronger than your interest in math.
Yeah, thats also why I will be getting a Masters since at most it will increase my pay at the High school level and if community colleges accept high school teaching experience then I might be able to move up a level.
If I am majoring in Math for the purpose of teaching what concentration would be better suited for me? Mathematics concentration or General Mathematical Studies concentration?

Old 11-08-2010, 07:20 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,852,607 times
I have no idea about concentrations in math, but I do know that CC is not the same thing as teaching in high school. The jobs in high school are protected by very strong unions and are professionalized.

CC's vary but they are increasingly following an adjunct professor model. Meaning, the bulk of the teaching will be by quasi-volunteers that get paid nominal fees for teaching on an a part time basis with no benefits.

So an academic department might have one full time faculty member who chairs the department and oversees an army of adjuncts. Since college professors aren't subject to licensure or union contracts, the colleges just get a bunch of part timers to teach. Since they usually have decent jobs elsewhere and often have impressive credentials, they are willing to take very nominal fees.

So a physics major who now works at a local corporation as an engineer could teach calculus at the CC, or an actuary, or any person that uses math significantly in their day to day life. Similarly, a journalist could easily teach English, or a working CPA teaching introductory accounting.

Not all CC are like that, but they are increasingly becoming so because of budgetary pressures. A lot of 4 year colleges are too.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
@Davros Just thought you meant HS when you mentioned people not thinking about their major till their senior year, sorry for getting it confused
They think about their majors before senior year of college. That's not what I was talking about. They don't think about their careers or going to the career services office until senior year. That's what I was talking about.

I'm serious when I say to go to the career counseling office at your school this year. Find out how to get in touch with people on the alumni network. Take career interest tests as well. Take advantage of the career services that your college provides. That's one of the key perks of being in college that most students do NOT use to their advantage.

Don't be one of those who doesn't use career services ! Get in touch with your career office now !

Quote:
Yeah, thats also why I will be getting a Masters since at most it will increase my pay at the High school level and if community colleges accept high school teaching
experience then I might be able to move up a level.
You are right a Master's degree is probably necessary to teach in community college. But it doesn't necessarily have to be in mathematics, it can be in education. It is also possible to start teaching high school/middle school right out of college, and then invest in getting a master's degree after you've been teaching for a little while.

Quote:
If I am majoring in Math for the purpose of teaching what concentration would be better suited for me? Mathematics concentration or General Mathematical Studies concentration?
That is a question for your advisor and for the alumni network/career counselors. They are very familiar with the programs offered at your university
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities