U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 06:02 PM

37 posts, read 31,844 times

Advertisements

Im really torn between majoring in economics or political science, from my perspective economics clearly presents more job opportunities but I guess I'm intimidated by having to do calculus. Any other BA Poly Sci success stories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 08:19 PM

318 posts, read 448,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
Burger flipper....Seriously, the demand is not great for Political Science majors. If you don't do post graduate (including law) work I think it is really hard to find something in that field.
I'm a poli sci major right now and, even with my great grades (3.75 gpa), I am not expecting that I'll get a job in my field. In fact, I'm not even letting myself think about it. Non-profit work is another story, but not unless I go into the Americorps like I'm considering. Nevertheless, I chose my major because it's what interests me, not because I thought my major would get me a job. Hence, I made sure I went to a very cheap university lol.

Anyway, I'm a poli sci major and as far as my outlook is concerned, no poli sci jobs for me (except continued volunteer work for campaigns). $10/hr as an admin assistant--what I'm already doing but for a 25% increase in pay.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:01 PM

279 posts, read 623,855 times
I did a similar major to IR, graduated from a top LA school with very mediocre GPA and grades, don't have a MA or Ph.D and have a job in NYC at a policy institute (think tank).

i'm not ashamed to say it was acquired almost entirely through school/alumni connections. i interned here past few months and it turned into a fulltime offer. the pay is very decent, at least enough to let me and 2 friends move into our own place around union square area next month. however, to advance up the ladder in any way, i would have to go back to get a MA or Ph.D eventually. But everybody I work with, even the secretary, has a BA (even interns are all currently in college).

Old 11-12-2010, 12:19 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,035,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinsonCrusoe View Post
I did a similar major to IR, graduated from a top LA school with very mediocre GPA and grades, don't have a MA or Ph.D and have a job in NYC at a policy institute (think tank).

i'm not ashamed to say it was acquired almost entirely through school/alumni connections. i interned here past few months and it turned into a fulltime offer. the pay is very decent, at least enough to let me and 2 friends move into our own place around union square area next month. however, to advance up the ladder in any way, i would have to go back to get a MA or Ph.D eventually. But everybody I work with, even the secretary, has a BA (even interns are all currently in college).
This is key right here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities