Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2010, 06:05 AM

17 posts, read 38,450 times

Advertisements

Both students are undergrad.

1 student attends a SUNY and maintains a gpa of 3.0

2nd student attends a CUNY with a gpa of 3.8.

Both students wants to go to grad school upon completion. Which one is more likely to get selected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 07:41 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
What are their GRE or other standardized test scores?

Old 11-16-2010, 07:52 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
What grad school and what program? Grad schools are different then undergrads. My daughter did not do that well on her GRE's but she had excellent grades in her undergrad at a small (unknown) private college and then three years of very interesting jobs. She is now going to a well known college for her Masters. I don't think it's as cut and dried as GPA and College.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:29 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I agree that it's not as simple as just school versus grades. That said, I think the higher GPA from a CUNY is going to be, in itself, far better than the lower GPA from a SUNY. All those other variables -- GRE, recommendations, research projects, other activities, etc. -- are also going to come into play. Usually grad schools also look at GPA within major or within relevant coursework, so if the lower GPA is because of lower grades in non-relevant coursework it will be easier to overcome than if the grades are just lower across-the-board. I've never applied for medical school, but for my graduate school I had to break down my undergraduate GPA into GPA within major and GPA from final two years. I think the low GPA (low for competitive medical school admission, that is) is going to hurt, though, so if it were me I'd scramble to boost that before application time, and make sure that the rest of the resume is impressive.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:06 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Where you did your undergrad isn't really a factor in graduate admissions.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:34 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Where you did your undergrad isn't really a factor in graduate admissions.
This doesn't hold true across the various majors; maybe even not across the various schools.

It becomes an issue particularly if accreditation is a factor. For example if you earned an undergraduate engineering degree that is not from an ABET program, or an undergraduate business degree that is not from an AACSB program...you may have issues getting into their graduate counterparts that do hold these accreditations.

For extremely competitive graduate programs, they will look for any excuse not to admit someone...even subjective factors such as their perception of the institution where you earned your undergraduate degree.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:07 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
This doesn't hold true across the various majors; maybe even not across the various schools.

It becomes an issue particularly if accreditation is a factor. For example if you earned an undergraduate engineering degree that is not from an ABET program, or an undergraduate business degree that is not from an AACSB program...you may have issues getting into their graduate counterparts that do hold these accreditations.

For extremely competitive graduate programs, they will look for any excuse not to admit someone...even subjective factors such as their perception of the institution where you earned your undergraduate degree.
I thought accreditation went without saying.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:30 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I don't think the school is going to matter for a CUNY versus a SUNY. Both are "real" schools, and the faculty will be familiar with them.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:56 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Hernandez View Post
Both students are undergrad.

1 student attends a SUNY and maintains a gpa of 3.0

2nd student attends a CUNY with a gpa of 3.8.

Both students wants to go to grad school upon completion. Which one is more likely to get selected.
You have to give more information. Law schools use GPA and LSAT without much consideration of the major or the school. Med schools, its all about the MCAT, Mathematics accelerated PhD programs is all about the professors that recommend you. Business Schools use the GMAT. Anyone who wants to can go to graduate school in education, blah, blah, blah.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:38 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
I thought accreditation went without saying.
A college can have regional accreditation for the entire institution, yet lack professional accreditation in a particular department. In fact, it's pretty common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities