Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 05:38 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times

Advertisements

Zero! If you can't make it in undergrad without a student loan, don't do it. I don't understand though, how come you would need one...live at home with parents, free rent. Work part time, and pay your tuition, go to community college for first two years, that is practically free it is so cheap. Live at home. Save your loan money for a masters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 05:47 PM

815 posts, read 2,998,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Save your loan money for a masters.
Most masters aren't worth the money either.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:57 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Zero! If you can't make it in undergrad without a student loan, don't do it. I don't understand though, how come you would need one...live at home with parents, free rent.
Some students can't stay home though especially if you live in a neighborhood that will tempt you from straying on your college goals. Some students must leave their surroundings and the bad influences to be successful.
I did stay at home, lived rent free and got a degree. $5k in student loans for it that I paid off in a few years after graduating. Whew.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:08 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
I stayed home as well. The one smart thing I did as my degrees aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:45 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesmith78 View Post
I'm 32 and am thinking of going to college. I know I'll probably have to go into some type of debt to be able to afford it, but I don't want to be one of those horror stories I hear about on city data! What amount of debt do you think would be 'reasonable' for someone pursuing a liberal arts degree?
The amount of debt that is reasonable is a function of the post-degree stream of net annual cash flow that you are realistically likely to be able to earn given your major, school reputation, academic performance, and career ambition.

In other words, if you're going to spend $50K getting a degree in Interpretive Indian Anthropological Dance Studies, then just set fire to your money now and go live in a cardboard box. On the other hand, if you're going to construct well-researched academic plans with a better financial ROI - and back it up with performance and commitment - then $50K or less might be ok.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:16 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,920 times
A rule a thumb, don't go over more than what your expected starting salary. For example, you are majoring in social work and expect a salary of just over 30k a year. Do NOT go over 30k in student loans.

Myself personally, I plan on having 15k of debt MAX. I hate debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities