Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 07:55 AM

374 posts, read 1,181,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missnew2nc View Post
Honestly the application process to Strayer is a breeze. No application fee, no GRE requirements and I can start in January.

NC State has a application fee, I need to take the GRE then wait and HOPE to get accepted. And the program I want doesnt start until the Fall of 2010.

There in lies my dilema.
That about tells the whole story right there. If you want your master to be taken seriously go to NC state. If you just need it to get a bump in pay for your current job go with whichever you want because at that point it really does not matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 07:58 AM

881 posts, read 2,253,636 times
Quote:
Honestly the application process to Strayer is a breeze. No application fee, no GRE requirements and I can start in January.

NC State has a application fee, I need to take the GRE then wait and HOPE to get accepted. And the program I want doesnt start until the Fall of 2010.

There in lies my dilema.
The amount of work required for the application process is your dilema? To me it's so minor in the grand scheme of things I can't imagine why that would affect your decision.

I would chose NC State - better alumni network which even if you aren't looking for a new job now it can help down the road.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:51 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,719 times
Quote:
I have been in contact with NC State and I just stumbled onto Strayer's Website. They have the same program and the prices are not bad (for both colleges), but my question is will an employer RESPECT a degree from Strayer?

I want to go back to school for Management Information Systems.
Reputation aside, I don't see the comparability in the price. Strayer's graduate tuition is $2175, per course...or $725 per credit. While NC State's is $1339.50 per course for in state, which is only $446.50 per credit. So unless you are looking at out-of-state rates, NC State is significantly cheaper.

Oh and another thing, I don't even see a MIS major offered at NC State. .

But back to reputation, I don't think that Strayer gives you what you pay for...not in the least. I guess it's ok if you aren't footing the bill though!

Old 11-24-2010, 02:56 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,798 times
Anybody else curious as to how a completely online school with no "brick and mortar" overhead manages to be so damn expensive? Technology is supposed to make things cheaper. I can go on youtube and watch college lectures for free yet tuition increases far outpace cost-of-living and wage increases. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark methinks..

Old 11-24-2010, 03:38 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Anybody else curious as to how a completely online school with no "brick and mortar" overhead manages to be so damn expensive? Technology is supposed to make things cheaper. I can go on youtube and watch college lectures for free yet tuition increases far outpace cost-of-living and wage increases. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark methinks..
It's not that difficult to understand- "for profit" colleges have a responsibility to their SHAREHOLDERS - not students- to make as much money as possible and crank out high earnings per share. That is how it is so easy to get accepted to these programs- as long as you're willing to pay, they're willing to have you.

OP- I question your motives for grad school when you don't want to put in the money/time to take the GRE or exert any effort on the application process. Will you be willing to put in the hours & hours of study time and group projecttime once you're admitted??? A MBA is a fairly serious undertaking, not a cake walk....

Old 11-29-2010, 07:09 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Quote:

Because they are "for profit" schools.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:31 PM

238 posts, read 696,211 times
If you wouldn't mind an online curriculum in MIS, consider UMBC.

Online Master's in Information Systems

Very good reputation, accredited university, and a number of the courses are electives. Also, you can choose to pursue a thesis option or simply take 2 additional courses.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:06 PM

738 posts, read 2,956,994 times
Quote:
This is why:
Executive Compensation | The Washington Post
The CEO of Strayer University is the highest paid executive in the Washington DC area, making more than double that of the next highest. In fact, he makes more than the CEO's of both Lockheed Martin and Northrup Grumman combined, two of the defense contracting industry giants; They're ranked 2nd and 3rd in compensation, and everyone knows how much money is involved in the defense sector.

To the OP - not to be a complete echo to everyone else, but how can you expect your degree to be taken seriously if you aren't willing to take the simplest application process seriously? The application process is going to be the easiest part of your master's degree. If you're letting a simple GRE/GMAT test scare you away from a program, maybe grad school isn't for you because the classes are going to be much more difficult than that. Take the time to do it right, and get a degree from somewhere you can take pride in. It sounds like it's a less expensive option anyways, as a previous poster pointed out.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 4,305 times
missnew2nc....what did you decided? I too am considering Strayer for the MBA in Information Systems Management. I've been accepted (not that it was a hard process) and have new student orientation scheduled but now I have concerns about the lack of the AACSB accreditation for their MBA programs. Undergrad maybe but grad school, I think I want something with a widely accepted accreditation.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,391 times
I wnt to get the Master degree in Technology management or Information system at Strayer, the program is on campus or online ... I have more than 15 years experience in management, do u think it is good for me to attend the Stryer program, as it is cheaper than GMU?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities