U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-24-2010, 10:58 PM
 
10,630 posts, read 21,704,046 times
Reputation: 6649

Advertisements

To be fair, look at the people who ARE in college. Not all of them are going to be successful, either. College is not in itself some sort of magic pill that provides for a great salary and successful career. I think sometimes people forget that.

I think college is important these days, but it's not the ONLY path to success. I do think that, generally speaking, some kind of advanced training (could be vocational, too, though) is important for anyone who wants to have a living-wage job in this country.

I had somehow skimmed right over the "you should look down on..." line. I absolutely agree that it's a bad, bad idea to go about judging others for their decisions, especially if you don't know their situations. Actually, there is one situation where I would look down on someone: if I ever heard someone express such an elitist thought out loud to me. I think that statements like that show a lack of empathy. There's a lot of reasons someone might be in that position. It doesn't mean that they're never going to go to school or obtain advanced training or education, or that they'll be stuck in a dead-end job. Just like having that college degree doesn't mean that you're not going to end up with a great career. The average income IS higher for people who go to college, but just the degree in itself (or lack of degree) isn't in itself enough to make or break a person's career path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-25-2010, 12:23 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
9,398 posts, read 12,464,975 times
Reputation: 6193
My father pays for school and also gives me a bit of spending money now and then. Nothing huge though, in fact almost all of the money I've spent this semester came from what I earned when working over the summer. Once I exhaust that I'll probably get a bit more green from my dad, but it still won't be much.

My dad makes a handsome amount of money, and he's good with it too. He saved a lot of money so he could pay for my college education (and my sister's, eventually). But I'm hardly spoiled... I don't have a lot of material desires anyway, and the few that I do have (e.g. a car) he won't grant. But I can't complain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2010, 12:50 AM
 
Location: California
28,850 posts, read 29,469,281 times
Reputation: 23673
I think some people don't like the idea because that's not the way THEY did it. Sometimes people really do think they (and their experiences) are the center of the universe and anything different is just WRONG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2010, 10:34 AM
 
6,046 posts, read 9,191,569 times
Reputation: 2288
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
My father pays for school and also gives me a bit of spending money now and then. Nothing huge though, in fact almost all of the money I've spent this semester came from what I earned when working over the summer. Once I exhaust that I'll probably get a bit more green from my dad, but it still won't be much.

My dad makes a handsome amount of money, and he's good with it too. He saved a lot of money so he could pay for my college education (and my sister's, eventually). But I'm hardly spoiled... I don't have a lot of material desires anyway, and the few that I do have (e.g. a car) he won't grant. But I can't complain.
Do you have a car? If not, you should be able to relate to me. I hate how some of the spoiled people at my college wonder why I don't want a car. They can't grasp the concept that I would like a car but can't afford one and my parents won't pay for me to have one. They don't seem to understand that they wouldn't have cars either if their parents said no. These people are in for a surprise when (if) their parents stop paying for everything they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2010, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
9,398 posts, read 12,464,975 times
Reputation: 6193
Don't have a car. Thankfully public transportation where I live and at my school is good, so it's not a big deal. But it would still be nice to have one for the flexibility, and of course the ability to go places that aren't metro-accessible.

There are quite a few kids who I assume had their parents buy their cars (since they're nice, new cars)... am I envious? A bit, but hey, they didn't choose how much money to be born in to anymore than I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2010, 10:46 AM
 
6,046 posts, read 9,191,569 times
Reputation: 2288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I think some people don't like the idea because that's not the way THEY did it. Sometimes people really do think they (and their experiences) are the center of the universe and anything different is just WRONG.
I had a high school teacher like that. He was conservative. Funny how some people make college a liberal vs conservative issue...

Anyway, this teacher joined the military during the Persian Gulf War and then went to college with the GI Bill. He says "If I could do it, why can't everyone?"

For one, he didn't pay. The military did. He earned it, but that doesn't change the fact that he wasn't paying...he was living on the military's dime. There is a difference between what he did and someone that truly had to pay for college by themself. He earned his money in the military then after that, they paid for college. But what about the people that earn their money and have to pay for college themself? Not to mention the fact that the military pays your rent too. The bottom line is this guy had a lot of financial support during college. Whether or not he earned it is irrelevant.

Here's another example. My college gives free tuition to students that went to high school in state as long as they keep a certain GPA (2.5, extremely easy to keep). I know a student that claims he's paying for college himself. He's not. The state is paying.

And another thing. Everyone can't do it the way he did. If everyone tried to join the military, the military would have to become selective and turn people away. They don't need every college aged male to join.

Besides, this teacher is 20 years older than the students he told this to. Times were different back then.

Last edited by city_data91; 11-25-2010 at 11:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2010, 10:51 AM
 
6,046 posts, read 9,191,569 times
Reputation: 2288
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Don't have a car. Thankfully public transportation where I live and at my school is good, so it's not a big deal. But it would still be nice to have one for the flexibility, and of course the ability to go places that aren't metro-accessible.

There are quite a few kids who I assume had their parents buy their cars (since they're nice, new cars)... am I envious? A bit, but hey, they didn't choose how much money to be born in to anymore than I did.
I had a nice (but not new) car in high school so I had to deal with people telling me how spoiled I am. But my parents didn't let me take it to college so now I have to deal with people acting like I'm crazy for not having a car. Worst of both worlds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2010, 11:30 AM
 
6,046 posts, read 9,191,569 times
Reputation: 2288
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
To be fair, look at the people who ARE in college. Not all of them are going to be successful, either. College is not in itself some sort of magic pill that provides for a great salary and successful career. I think sometimes people forget that.

I think college is important these days, but it's not the ONLY path to success. I do think that, generally speaking, some kind of advanced training (could be vocational, too, though) is important for anyone who wants to have a living-wage job in this country.

I had somehow skimmed right over the "you should look down on..." line. I absolutely agree that it's a bad, bad idea to go about judging others for their decisions, especially if you don't know their situations. Actually, there is one situation where I would look down on someone: if I ever heard someone express such an elitist thought out loud to me. I think that statements like that show a lack of empathy. There's a lot of reasons someone might be in that position. It doesn't mean that they're never going to go to school or obtain advanced training or education, or that they'll be stuck in a dead-end job. Just like having that college degree doesn't mean that you're not going to end up with a great career. The average income IS higher for people who go to college, but just the degree in itself (or lack of degree) isn't in itself enough to make or break a person's career path.
You make a good point when you say people can be successful by going to trade school. Sure, college might not be for everyone. But you should do something after high school to further your education/skills.

I think you and the other poster misunderstood what I meant by "you should look down upon." I'm not saying you should automatically look down upon someone that doesn't go to college. I'm just saying you should look down upon them before you look down upon me. At least I'm trying to better myself.

And if I sound elitist, it's because that attitude has been ingrained into me. So many people assumed I was going to college and acted like I had to go if I wanted to be successful. One of my relatives moved in with my grandparents recently. Guess what? She dropped out of college, making her one of the few people in my family without a degree. When my family has a history of going to college and the person without a degree can't support themself, what am I supposed to think?

There are certain jobs that won't hire you without a degree. So in that case, a degree could make or break your career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2010, 11:30 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
28,473 posts, read 34,466,019 times
Reputation: 34696
In your case I think what happens is that you go on P&OC and start pontificating about things that others should do like willingly pay more taxes. Or start lecturing those much older and more experienced about how they're wrong or just don't know what they're talking about even though they've experienced the issue and all you have to fall back on is theories you just learned and only half understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2010, 11:41 AM
 
6,046 posts, read 9,191,569 times
Reputation: 2288
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
In your case I think what happens is that you go on P&OC and start pontificating about things that others should do like willingly pay more taxes. Or start lecturing those much older and more experienced about how they're wrong or just don't know what they're talking about even though they've experienced the issue and all you have to fall back on is theories you just learned and only half understand.
Don't bring other threads into this. But since you did, I might as well respond.

First of all, they are wrong if they think my parents are going to support me forever just because they support me now. One of the reasons I'm in college is because I want to make more money so I don't have to live off my parents forever. I just don't like when people lump me into the same category as a 30 year old living in their parents basement. There's a big difference between a 19 year old having their parents support them during college and a 30 year old that still lives off their parents.

And I don't like when people make college a liberal vs conservative issue. I know conservative students that live off their parents.

And even if posters are older, if they never went to college, then they haven't experienced the "issue" (whatever issue you're speaking of...)

And I never said people should willingly pay more taxes. Now you're just making stuff up. Show me the post where I said that. And saying I support Barack Obama is not the same as saying people should pay more taxes. Obama wants to lower taxes for everyone except the rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top