U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 03:48 AM

3,225 posts, read 5,833,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
You hear some people say how college students are selfish for living off their parents. But what's wrong with having your parents support you during college? It doesn't mean they're going to support you forever. Sure, you could get a low paying job right after high school. But you would have to live with your parents because you won't make enough money to move out. In the long run, the person that goes to college will make more money (on average, but there are exceptions). If anything, people should look down upon the person that starts working right after high school because they will probably still be working a low paying job living with their parents at 30. But when the person that went to college is 30, they will probably be making more money and living on their own. Something is wrong when someone compares a college aged person living off their parents to a 30 year old living in their parents basement. I'd say your success at age 30 is more telling than your success at age 18-21.
No one should look down on another because their life choices or circumstances are different or unideal. Really. I started working after high school because I left home at 17 (had no choice) and wasn't able to go to college right away. I'm now in my early 30's and in college (and no I don't live with my parents now either), and I've people say things like "people as old as you don't belong in school" and "what kind of a loser is in college in their 30's?". Not everyone is able to have their family help them, some have to do it on their own. Something is wrong when you lump everyone and everything together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 04:46 AM

25,266 posts, read 27,722,010 times
I don't think there is anything wrong with supporting your children through college. I plan on making a career change in four years so I can support mine. I think I owe my children an education. My income will be used to exclude my children from receiving financial aid. I think I owe them something in return. My sister's kids go on grants because she is not in position to pay. Does anyone cry foul when the government pays a student's way?

Old 11-29-2010, 09:37 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,055,197 times
Quote:
Why do people think it's a bad thing when parents support their kids during college?
Because some people are too feeble-minded to take into account the infinite combinations of life's circumstances that can truly justify parents providing financial assistance. There's other reasons which I don't think I can rattle off the top of my head, but there's a couple reasons touched on in this post.

I'm in school right now and my parents are helping me out financially through college. Not all the way, not even close. My academic performance has landed me a few grants and scholarships to cover the biggest expenses. What isn't covered by those, is covered by the Post 9/11 GI Bill which this veteran has rightfully earned along with the scholarships and grants.

I've held off on outside employment up to this point because 1) I wanted to concentrate on keeping my GPA up so I could procure as much outside funding as possible and 2) other surrounding circumstances which are none of C-D's business. Now that things are beginning to level off (far as I can tell at least), I'll be looking for a part-time job while I finish up school. When all is said and done, I'll probably go back to military life. If not active duty, then reserves or Guard.

For the segment of society who chooses to use their insecurities and various slanted upbringings as a springboard to cast negative opinions on me, so be it. They're not me, and I'm extremely thankful that I'm not them. My parents help me because they have their valid reasons to make that choice and besides, they're not hurting anyone or themselves (and no, not even me).

Old 11-29-2010, 10:24 AM

7,002 posts, read 8,245,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong with supporting your children through college. I plan on making a career change in four years so I can support mine. I think I owe my children an education. My income will be used to exclude my children from receiving financial aid. I think I owe them something in return. My sister's kids go on grants because she is not in position to pay. Does anyone cry foul when the government pays a student's way?
Leaving the classroom, and becoming a guidance counselor, or just leaving education altogether?

Old 11-29-2010, 08:16 PM

6,046 posts, read 9,183,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I don't really care what you do except vote. We're in the midst of an economic brouhaha and the President goes to college campuses for his speeches. Why? Because students who don't pay for anything, who don't have to worry about long-term job loss or income or property taxes or paying a mortgage or utility bills or putting food on the table or for their own insurance yet are least likely to be concerned with the state of the economy and vote idealistically.

Because your parent hold the purse strings in your life, they can still tell you what to do, which is why a nanny state where the government tells you how to live your life, doesn't seem to bother you (not you the individual poster) either.
Some college students live in la-la land. But not all of us do. We realize we're going to need a job after college. And with little to no experience, we're going to have a harder time getting a job than a 40 year old would. Job loss is relevant to us, even though we're not in the workforce yet. A lot of college students care about the economy because we want a good economy when we graduate.

There are people in their 40s that don't have a mortgage. And there are 26 year olds that buy houses. It's not like you reach a certain age then you suddenly have to buy a house.

And a lot of teens rebel against their parents. Just because their parents tell them what to do, that doesn't mean they like it.

I've never voted, so that should make you happy.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:30 AM

3 posts, read 4,496 times
Default It is completely possible to do well in college and work full time

I have the kind of parents that would not support me financially even if they could. I am a full time college student, and I work 40 hours a week, I am a Junior and am still on the Dean's list. You CAN go to work after highschool and still be a successful college student, if you think it's impossible it's not. I have more success then most of the kids I know that do get their rent/car/everything paid for, I am also getting valuable work experience.
I think many kids who have everything paid for are generally clueless & spioled. At some point you must cut the umbilicle cord. I can't take kids who mooch of their parents seriously as fellow young adults, because they don't know what working hard and being responsible means.
If you want your kids to grow and be respectable people, help them minimally.

Mod cut - removed personal insult

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-17-2011 at 08:24 AM..

Old 01-17-2011, 07:37 AM

3 posts, read 4,496 times
That's not to say helping your kids keep their heads above the water (assisting them if they really screw up and are about to be homeless) is a bad thing.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:39 AM

1,283 posts, read 1,558,163 times
Quote:
I think many kids who have everything paid for are generally clueless & spioled. At some point you must cut the umbilicle cord. I can't take kids who mooch of their parents seriously as fellow young adults, because they don't know what working hard and being responsible means.
If you want your kids to grow and be respectable people, help them minimally.
I will respectfully have to disagree with you. My mother is paying for nearly all of my education. I am on the Dean's List, I also work part time making minimum wage (around 15-20 hours a week). I pay for text books, spending money, and have contributed to part of my education. My mother *could* have decided NOT to help me, but I'm glad she is.

Sometimes it is better not to have to worry about working a full time while attending school full time. I'm not "clueless" nor "spoiled" either.

Mod cut - removed insult

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-17-2011 at 08:25 AM..

Old 01-17-2011, 08:25 AM

12,227 posts, read 25,349,276 times
Opinions welcome, insults are not.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:35 AM

12,414 posts, read 18,058,954 times
Although we do pay all of our college students' expenses, we also expect them to work over the summer so they have money for "extras". I was out with a good friend last night, who always insisted she did not want her kids to work at all until they graduated with that 4 year degree. Well, now her son will finish up this May, and has realized he's at a real disadvantage in the job search, because he has no job experience to put on his resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities