Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 01:10 PM

3 posts, read 5,426 times

Advertisements

I just think parent's love their children and want to make things as easy as possible for them, without realizing in the long run they are truly doing them a diservice. Kids should start learning financial responsibility in highschool by getting part time jobs and beginning to take care of themselves. When college roles around, they should be nearly taking care of themselves, or at the very least not soley relying on their parents. Too many college aged people are immature, it's a legitimate problem.

Also the work experience issue, very true. When I came to college alot of my friends could not find even entry level jobs because they have no prior work experience. When I came to college I had three job options because I had a few good years of work experiences, good managers for refrences(not just buddies and teachers), and my CNA. I imagine it is very difficult not have a job until your in your early twenty's then go look for a job that's anything much higher then entry level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 02:49 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times
Didn't read entire thread.

My parents contributed very little to my college aside from them not making enough for me to get a decent amount of grants. I graduated with 10k in students loans which isn't bad.

My wife and should have enough money to pay for our kids to go to school but we plan to make our children pay for some of it anyway. I think it will help them realize how things work in the real world. Assuming everything goes well we'd probably pay off whatever loans they took out after they graduate.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:54 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
How other people spend the money they can well afford to spend is no one's business.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:56 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I paid for my kids to go to college. They don't have loans. One child choose the military, he is not academic. I think that this was a worth while investment for me. None of my kids are back home, they all have jobs. They lived at home, had part time jobs, went to the public university, I paid tution, books. I have one who is on a scholarship at an out of state university, I actually pay more for her, because of the dorm cost...but she did earn the scholarship. She is not working part time, but will work in the summer. None of my children were "spoiled", I just expected them to attend college, and because I expected it, I did not mind paying for it.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I paid for my kids to go to college. They don't have loans. One child choose the military, he is not academic. I think that this was a worth while investment for me. None of my kids are back home, they all have jobs. They lived at home, had part time jobs, went to the public university, I paid tution, books. I have one who is on a scholarship at an out of state university, I actually pay more for her, because of the dorm cost...but she did earn the scholarship. She is not working part time, but will work in the summer. None of my children were "spoiled", I just expected them to attend college, and because I expected it, I did not mind paying for it.
Exactly. My parents told me school was my job, they'd take care of my living expenses/tuition...so that my focus would be entirely devoted to wringing the most I could out of the college experience (get good grades, network, grow personally, professionally, athletically, etc). That's what I expect for my kids and will happily foot the bill.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:12 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Exactly. My parents told me school was my job, they'd take care of my living expenses/tuition...so that my focus would be entirely devoted to wringing the most I could out of the college experience (get good grades, network, grow personally, professionally, athletically, etc). That's what I expect for my kids and will happily foot the bill.
Agree 100%

My daughter had one job in high school, do the best she can in school. Its paid of as she now has a free ride to an Ivy (not the big three but close enough) and that will continue in college. It is more important for her to take advantage of the opportunities that school has to offer than work part time at the mall. So I will pay her living expenses, and her study abroad, and hope she continues to be the responsible person she has already shown herself to be.

I agree that it maybe in the best interest of students who are not driven or focused to have a job as it can be a wake up call but it is a vast over-generalization to claim that ALL kids who are supported are spoiled or undeserving.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:28 AM

As far as work ethic, I had been creating my own jobs since I was a little kid, I worked some part time in high school to earn extra cash for whatever I wanted, and I worked on xmas and summer holidays in college (when I was not abroad).
I triple majored, triple minored, got 4 x honors, participated in college-level athletics and did lab research, volunteered literally thousands of hours, and went to med school. So much for the mythical work ethic you can only get from working during college.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:52 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
I feel strongly as a parent who has benefited enormously from a college education that I have an obligation to see that my children get that same advantage. My son currently majors in computer engineering at what I will call the "flagship university" in our state. His high school grades were good, but they were never good enough to earn him a scholarship. Scholarships here are highly competitive and a limited number are given out.

My son is not disappointing me. He has shown a great work ethic during his time in school, a great desire to learn, to make friends, and has taken full advantage of the university experience. He is able to commute to school because we live within about twenty miles of the university that he attends.

He has worked every summer, but like so many people has struggled in this economy. His employers have dealt with the recession by cutting back the hours that all their employees can work. So, his earnings wouldn't come close to paying for his classes at college. The idea of him working to pay for school under these circumstances is highly unrealistic.

I cannot and will not speak for all parents. What I can say is that if I had chosen to take the money I spend on his education and instead buy a new car or go on a fancy vacation, I would have gotten no enjoyment or pleasure from it. I know that at least for my wife and I that sending our son to college was the right thing to do. I suspect this decision will not only benefit him, but will benefit other people in society as well who receive the services he will one day be able to provide because of his education.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:46 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
I can certainly understand paying for someone's tuition and other some otheer expenses, but if a student wants to get an apartment, then perhaps he can find a part-time job to help with those expenses. If he winds up sharing an apt with 2-3 friends, thus minimizing his expenses, then there's no reason why he can't work a little during school.

High school is one thing, college is another; attending college isn't a "full-time" occupation--it is possible to do other things, as well. I knew some students who did nothing but attend class , and they had loads of free time; most others, though, worked part-time at something, i.e. restaurants, hospitals, department stores, etc, and they were much more responsible, in general.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:36 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times
I think people that have to work to put themselves through college think people whose parents who are footing the bill have it easy. I mean, if you mess up and your only responsiblity is grades, good luck at life.

I think its built character and taught me to be more competitive, salesy, and bold by working entry level jobs while in college. I learned how to deal with all kinds of people, I know the hassles of signing a lease, I've had to work multiple jobs at once, and have daydreamed of all kinds of great business plans for when I have extra money, and much more.

You can look down on me if it makes you feel better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities