Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 02:45 AM

610 posts, read 1,295,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Not really. I know some pretty awesome people who were raised to money, and know how to work, are good people...

However, statistically speaking....
What statistics are you referring to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 06:40 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgeek20 View Post
What statistics are you referring to?

Really?

I was saying that the majority of people you come across in that situation are not.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:38 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I just want to know if all of these kids being put through school by mommy and daddy would even be going to college if it wasn't the easiest next step?

I think it speaks volumes when a young person chooses for themselves that they will go to college and they will work and not spend their money on luxuries and partying and instead on school, in order to get ahead.

I hate when people here speak of students who are working and putting themselves through college like we are struggling and lost souls. Like we are going to "get our heads blown off".

I have been offered help by my aunt, but I have turned her down because I'm a self-sufficient adult. I have adapted, evolved and I understand the real world enough and the value of a dollar.

I have had great jobs where I could have stayed, worked full-time and grown with the company. Instead I bartend, or cocktail waitress. I work nights, whenever.I still have time to study and get A's. Absolutely!!People like me aren't out spending mommy and daddy's retirement money on Grey Goose and drugs. We are the bread and ****ing butter of what makes America...America. The only thing more American than putting yourself through college on your own dime is being an immigrant... But thats a whole 'nother story.

I know a lot of people like me that are well-adjusted, college aged, and putting themselves through school just fine. We have CHOSEN to go to school, and we have practical majors.

I'm sick and tired of hearing people belittle what we do and look down on our parents for not helping us. I feel sorry for the kids that get put through school and when they get a taste of the real world they freak out and work ****ty jobs they hate and walk around like an exposed nerve in a harsh environment .

Absolutely! Great post and my I take a deep bow to your achievements. *****BOW***** Bless you pear...you know, some people will never understand the pure, raw emotion and truth in your post....the strength of character and the pride of having it DONE IT YOURSELF!!! Solutions instead of excuses....you are going to do well in this world!

Old 02-02-2011, 09:12 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,467,383 times
Quote:
I just want to know if all of these kids being put through school by mommy and daddy would even be going to college if it wasn't the easiest next step?

I think it speaks volumes when a young person chooses for themselves that they will go to college and they will work and not spend their money on luxuries and partying and instead on school, in order to get ahead.

I hate when people here speak of students who are working and putting themselves through college like we are struggling and lost souls. Like we are going to "get our heads blown off".

I have been offered help by my aunt, but I have turned her down because I'm a self-sufficient adult. I have adapted, evolved and I understand the real world enough and the value of a dollar.

I have had great jobs where I could have stayed, worked full-time and grown with the company. Instead I bartend, or cocktail waitress. I work nights, whenever.I still have time to study and get A's. People like me aren't out spending mommy and daddy's retirement money on Grey Goose and drugs. We are the bread and ****ing butter of what makes America...America. The only thing more American than putting yourself through college on your own dime is being an immigrant... But thats a whole 'nother story.

I know a lot of people like me that are well-adjusted, college aged, and putting themselves through school just fine. We have CHOSEN to go to school, and we have practical majors.

I'm sick and tired of hearing people belittle what we do and look down on our parents for not helping us. I feel sorry for the kids that get put through school and when they get a taste of the real world they freak out and work ****ty jobs they hate and walk around like an exposed nerve in a harsh environment .
The poster who said that was referring to people that go to college on the GI Bill. They really did risk getting their heads blown off.

By the way, I don't spend my money on partying. I know self-supporting students that have already consumed way more alcohol than I will in my entire life. I've never tried weed either, but my cousin who puts himself through college smokes weed.

Why is it so hard for some people to understand there are quality young adults who are currently being supported by their parents but have a desire to better themselves?

My major is the type of major that a lot of people think is useless, but it's actually practical. I guess that just means less competition for me if other people are less likely to choose my major. Upon finding out my major, my mom said "I don't know if I want to pay for you to go to college if you're just going to end up working at Target." But now she realizes my major is useful and you can do a lot with it.

Last edited by city_data91; 02-02-2011 at 09:29 AM..

Old 02-02-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
You should get your tuition back from the school for your 'education'.
No, I am admitting nothing of the sort.

I guess the fact that a 14/15 year old kid can beat that on his first job.
Instance: a Journeyman's apprentice (The lowest of the low... basically a fetch and carry) can do much better.
And in the amount of time it takes you to get yoru degree be making more than you intend to.

-Just one example.

Welders, oil field workers, skilled cooks etc...

Read the book "The millionaire Next door" It may open your eyes on many levels.

See above. The solution: Ambition and hard work.

"Shouldn't" LOL... Entitled much?

"Should support me".... Your entitlement mentality is amazing, but nothing compared to your ingratitude.

HEY... Why don't you start sending me $100 a month... after all, because your parents have all this money, you can afford to!
Ergo... You should support me!

You are going to make the attempt to "Get by without help"
Check out the economy lately?
Lot of people thought so...
My point: you state 'what you think' and 'what you hope' as if they are facts.
Never even held a job, supported yourself or lived life, stood on your own two feet.
Not really busting on you for that... busting on you due to the fact that you make these judgments out of your ignorance. (Ignorance is not an insult, it is merely the correctable state of lack of knowledge.)

What????

-Oh, just for the sake of my curiosity... I deducted from my current expenses things like the insurance on my two motorcycles (I also have a truck) and things of that nature.

Working a 40 hour week at minimum wage $7.25 per hour , I could meet my basic necessities for a month working only 3 weeks a month. (Actually 124 hours)
-The remaining week would cover 'better food', internet, my Netflicks etc...
(That's before taxes, but would also put you in such a low tax bracket it would be negligible)

That's with my current living conditions, a 2 bedroom apartment, with a fireplace, and living alone.
It would be even cheaper if I had a roommate.

So, While I stated that The minimum wage was never intended to be a living wage...

IT IS!
You're right when you say I don't have much life experience. I admit that.

But I know for a fact that I won't have kids to help me when I'm old. You're implying I'm going to need help when I'm old. But who would help me? Other family members? The government? Or would I be left for dead?

Ok, so you could manage to live on minimum wage if necessary. But you said it was never intended to be a living wage, so it should be understandable that some people are unable to support themselves on minimum wage.

Where you live plays a factor too. Living on minimum wage in West Virginia...maybe. Living on minimum wage in Manhattan or San Francisco...not a chance.

Since you have a hard time understanding what I've been trying to say, why don't I use an example:

Let's say someone just graduated high school and they start working for minimum wage. By the time they're 21, they make $14/hour. That's enough to support themself. But what about before that? What about when they're 18 and making minimum wage? Are you admitting they would need to temporarily be supported by their parents until they work their way up to a living wage?

And I won't give you $100 a month. Even though my dad could afford it, he wouldn't want to give me money for that purpose. He could afford to provide me with a car, but he doesn't want to.

Last edited by city_data91; 02-02-2011 at 09:33 AM..

Old 02-02-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I've heard that one of the perks of owning your own business is being able to pick your own schedule. Select 6 days to work and any 12 hour block of time! :P
Yeah, but 12x6 is 72. That's a 72 hour work week. I heard owning a business is way more work than working for someone else.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:45 AM

104 posts, read 99,523 times
Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
You hear some people say how college students are selfish for living off their parents. But what's wrong with having your parents support you during college? It doesn't mean they're going to support you forever. Sure, you could get a low paying job right after high school. But you would have to live with your parents because you won't make enough money to move out. In the long run, the person that goes to college will make more money (on average, but there are exceptions). If anything, people should look down upon the person that starts working right after high school because they will probably still be working a low paying job living with their parents at 30. But when the person that went to college is 30, they will probably be making more money and living on their own. Something is wrong when someone compares a college aged person living off their parents to a 30 year old living in their parents basement. I'd say your success at age 30 is more telling than your success at age 18-21.

I agree. I mean, I know I am only 16 and, what do I know, right? But, I think that parents who support their kids during college are showing that they care enough not only about their kids when they are legally obligated to support them, but they want to see them do well and succeed in life. What's wrong with that? Kids can't just graduate high school and jump straight into things when they don't have any credit, or a stable job. I wish my father had the money to pay for my college and pay my rent when I move out, unfortunately, he doesn't. So, I think there's nothing wrong with it.
On the other hand, I guess people are just jealous and think that the kids are taking a free ride. But, personally, I don't think it's anyone's place to judge others' finances. Whether it's their own or their parents, mind your own business right?

Old 02-02-2011, 09:57 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,448 times
Mod edit - removed quote from deleted post and response to the quote.

My husband came from a lower middle class working class family. His parents paid for his bachelor's degree at a private college (but my husband paid for his 1st year with savings he had from age 6-10). He worked in the summers, and that was alot of his spending money, but his parents paid for everything else. My husband went on to get a masters degree and a medical degree on his own. He is the hardest working individual I have ever met. And no he is not crippled or helpless because his parents paid for his bachelors degree lol

We also plan on paying for our daughter's college education, for her bachelor's degree and she will pay for her master's/phd.
Because we want to and we CAN. It will in no way make her lose self respect, become lazy, she is already worldly, economical, knows the value of money even though she has plenty of it, and appreciative. And the hardest worker when it comes to school. Money is nothing but a tool, people but too much emotional value on it.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-02-2011 at 10:23 AM..

Old 02-02-2011, 10:41 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Quote:

I have had great jobs where I could have stayed, worked full-time and grown with the company. Instead I bartend, or cocktail waitress. I work nights, whenever.I still have time to study and get A's. People like me aren't out spending mommy and daddy's retirement money on Grey Goose and drugs. We are the bread and ****ing butter of what makes America...America. The only thing more American than putting yourself through college on your own dime is being an immigrant... But thats a whole 'nother story.

As someone who did get help with college, majored in something most on this forum would consider not "practical," and who is now well established, independent, and doing stuff I greatly enjoy. I take issue with this post on so many levels.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:10 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Quote:
You're right when you say I don't have much life experience. I admit that.
Quote:
But I know for a fact that I won't have kids to help me when I'm old. You're implying I'm going to need help when I'm old. But who would help me? Other family members? The government? Or would I be left for dead?
No you don't. Your about 20 right?
When I was your age I had NO IDEA I would want to work for myself... EVER. I also didn't think I'd have any kids.
Now, All I want to do is work for myself, and I'm considering having kids (Date a couple women with kids... it'll impact you)
Those are a couple of many changes, and I'm not 30 yet!

Quote:
Ok, so you could manage to live on minimum wage if necessary. But you said it was never intended to be a living wage, so it should be understandable that some people are unable to support themselves on minimum wage.
If by 'understandable' you mean that people CHOOSE to live beyond their means whether they make $10,000 or 100,000 per year...
Otherwise: No.

Quote:
Where you live plays a factor too. Living on minimum wage in West Virginia...maybe. Living on minimum wage in Manhattan or San Francisco...not a chance.
So move. (I know this is a revolutionary concept to the current generation, but it's been a worldwide standard for eons. You go where the work/resources are.
That's what the Grapes of Wrath was about!

Quote:
Since you have a hard time understanding what I've been trying to say, why don't I use an example:

Let's say someone just graduated high school and they start working for minimum wage. By the time they're 21, they make $14/hour. That's enough to support themself. But what about before that? What about when they're 18 and making minimum wage?
If they even halfassed apply themselves they WON'T be making minimum wage.
Buddy of mine's wife graduated last year with a teaching degree.
Couldn't find work that wouldn't involve moving or driving over an hour to work.
So she started working at Lows. WELL above minimum wage (Degree had nothing to do with it)
By SHOWING UP FOR WORK ON TIME she got a raise 3 months later.
Now, less than a year later (Just over 6 months) she is making more than she would as a teacher.

3-4 YEARS later... No telling. But the 'Reason we don't understand what you are trying to say' is because we DO understand, it's just that we have actually held down a job, and know that the world works differently than you think.

-Now, if you WANT to be like her brother, be late, miss work often, get fired from one job after the other... that's a different story.

Quote:
Are you admitting they would need to temporarily be supported by their parents until they work their way up to a living wage?
WHY do you KEEP comming back to this! To justify your mooching?
NO, NO, NO, NO, no!
Baring seriousmedical issues etc... PEOPLE DO NOT NEED TO LIVE OFF THEIR PARENTS.
Some CHOOSE to.
Quote:
And I won't give you $100 a month. Even though my dad could afford it, he wouldn't want to give me money for that purpose. He could afford to provide me with a car, but he doesn't want to.
Why not? You can afford it, so you should....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities