Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2010, 04:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,616 times

Advertisements

Hello

I just made an account on this forum, even though I have been reading it for quite some time and I really like it, I have to say .

So, I was in Mexico this summer and I really liked the country and everything about it.Im european, fluent in spanish,finishing high school this year and I would really like to study somewhere in latin america. My parents could sent me probably around 400 euros per month, but I was also thinking about making money with teaching english.

Do you know any country that tutition fee is cheap? And do you think that is posible for me to study in latin america?

Your advices and answers will be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 10:50 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,908,945 times
My personal experience was in Jordan, where I just walked into the university and registered for courses on a full-time schedule, and I was accepted as a candidate for a degree. I arranged to have my transcripts sent from a US university. There were no fees, higher education is free in Jordan. And many other countries, probably some in South America.

I already had a Jordanian residence card, but I don't know if that was a factor in my acceptance.

If you are serious about your objectives, I would suggest going to South America and visiting some universities, and make inquiries. Your €400 per month will be plenty, to enable you to live in backpacker style as you look around.

Of those I've seen, I think the university in Sucre, Bolivia, would be a wonderful place to spend a few years as a student. Also, Merida, Venezuela. If you're going for quality, Colombia has the reputation all over South America of having the highest educational standards at the pre-college level.

Here is a list of universities in some South American countries, with links to their websites.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher_...#South_America

As you can see from this chart, nearly every country in the world except the USA has figured out a way to offer free or affordable higher education:
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20101209...x-39349ed.html
The rally today involving Prince Charles was a protest against th UK tripling their tuition fees to £9,000. So if you want to study abroad, you'd better beat the rush. A lot of British students will be out there with you.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-09-2010 at 11:12 PM..

Old 12-10-2010, 03:13 PM

254 posts, read 590,615 times
I don't know if you need information for Mexico as you mention you already lived there for a while, but most Mexican universities (even the free ones for Mexicans) will be somewhat expensive for foreigners.

As I recall public universities like UNAM, UAG, UANL, etc will run about 3000-4000 dll per semester, private ones will be a little more than that. I'm sure that there are cheaper institutions but the reputation will be questionable.

If you don't hold a teaching diploma I believe it will be hard to work as an English teacher officially, however it could be easy (depending on your people skills) to find informal jobs (like private English lessons) but I would not expect a huge pay. I never worked as a teacher in Mexico but, I would think that you could maybe make around 4000 pesos (250 Euros) in informal type of jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities