Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2013, 01:40 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
Any real PhD would tell you that they received the title after it was determined that they had achieved [P]ermanent [H]ead [D]amage

I also totally agree to the sentiment of the education race of sorts.

I am a 28 year old working on my 7th collegiate degree. I was able to attain a nice cushy job akin to what I have now after just one degree, but I actually go to school for the classical pursuit of knowledge. That is to say, I like learning in a quasi-structured environment and getting a big sticker...erm I mean diploma at the conclusion.
I applaud that. You are doing education the right way. Many of us, did it the wrong way and only did it because we needed to.

I think the issue with college is we pick a major and we will graduate anywhere from 4-6 years if not longer (depending on post grad and changing majors due to difficulty of lower level requirements) The question is, in that time are the course we are taking relevant to the major. I took one course as a "throw-away" for a certificate program with my management degree on electronic marketing and guess what, I found it to be very helpful and understanding of online stores and becoming savvy with social media for jobs.

However the issue of the education arms race is proving to mean that the degrees have lesser value. When education is limited it is respected, when it is given out everyone is equal and no-one is special. I think it is time society re-thought the importance of college, particularly when the costs are as high as they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 03:57 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I applaud that. You are doing education the right way. Many of us, did it the wrong way and only did it because we needed to.

I think the issue with college is we pick a major and we will graduate anywhere from 4-6 years if not longer (depending on post grad and changing majors due to difficulty of lower level requirements) The question is, in that time are the course we are taking relevant to the major. I took one course as a "throw-away" for a certificate program with my management degree on electronic marketing and guess what, I found it to be very helpful and understanding of online stores and becoming savvy with social media for jobs.

However the issue of the education arms race is proving to mean that the degrees have lesser value. When education is limited it is respected, when it is given out everyone is equal and no-one is special. I think it is time society re-thought the importance of college, particularly when the costs are as high as they are.
Not many more people are graduating from college but a ton are starting and never finishing. What is water down degrees are for profits and a labor market that was in recession and is coming back slowly now.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:07 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,296,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
Any real PhD would tell you that they received the title after it was determined that they had achieved [P]ermanent [H]ead [D]amage
I enjoyed graduate school quite a bit while getting a PhD in a very technical field. I can see why some people would hate it, but science has always been fun for me and if I was a billionaire I would pay for the privilege of doing my job. I guess I am the outlier, though, as many of my colleagues refer to their grad school days as 'The Dark Ages'.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:42 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,040 times
Scam is a strong hard and perhaps somewhat true but my take on college is this:

You have to major in something employable, something marketable, something the employer wants to hire.

Yes the employer could proably hire and train a pysch grad, a history grad, a sociology grad, American studies grad etc... to do the job just as well as a graduate of the more "specialzed major" accounting, finance etc... but what I am finding is the employer would rather hire the finance grad, the accounting grad, the economics grad and train him/her over a generic Liberal arts grad. For whatever reason employers' today are more picky, they can be more picky, they can hold out for the niche majors, so in my mind if you want to maximize your chances of success then you might as well study a niche a "REAL" major.

Now that being said regardless if your major is a "Real" one or a "fluff" major, getting internships, summer work etc... is absolutley essential, start freshmen year and never look back. The degree is almost perfunctory it is the expereince that gets you work.

We are not in an age (with the exception of a few areas of study) of college degree=job. Yes i know your highschool counselers told you otherwise but they are wrong, employers can afford to be as choosy as he/she wants to be, they ARE being as choosy as he/she wants to be-therefore it only makes sense to major in what the employer wants to hire

Old 05-23-2013, 06:20 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
You left out higher income and lower unemployment.

Not always. Many who moved out of Michigan for jobs were highly educated.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:01 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Not many more people are graduating from college but a ton are starting and never finishing. What is water down degrees are for profits and a labor market that was in recession and is coming back slowly now.
The for-profits do not help no, but we have an inflated view of what degrees from any institution actually do. We have seen more and more people going into college which means more dropouts and more degrees. The issue is for the people going to college, there aren't enough college jobs. We nearly have a high ratio of college graduates to (true) college degree required jobs.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:12 PM

844 posts, read 1,656,710 times
Yes.
It's not college education any more. It's college experience!

Old 05-24-2013, 08:57 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Not always. Many who moved out of Michigan for jobs were highly educated.
That data is quite clear actually with a large sample size.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
M.S. = more of the same

Ph.D. = piled higher and deeper.
How original, not! I first heard that about 40 years ago, and even then someone told me it was an old joke.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The for-profits do not help no, but we have an inflated view of what degrees from any institution actually do. We have seen more and more people going into college which means more dropouts and more degrees. The issue is for the people going to college, there aren't enough college jobs. We nearly have a high ratio of college graduates to (true) college degree required jobs.
The college drop-out rate is about the same as it has been for at least the last 50 years; ~ 50%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities