Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 05:08 PM

44 posts, read 143,376 times

Advertisements

On a scale of 1 to 10 can people rate it in these areas?

Job security
Salary
Potential for entrepreneurship(heard comp sci majors make small businesses a lot, is this true?)
Use to society
Happiness

I'm thinking about majoring in it. I might go for SE though instead of just programming. I would need a masters for that though right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 06:24 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
Security: 8/10 (risk of outsourcing to India and such)
Salary: 10/10
Entrepreneurship: Not sure, I think that has more to do with the individual
Use to society: 10/10, computers are our world now.
Happiness: Again, has to do with the individual

Old 12-14-2010, 06:39 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Security: 8/10 (risk of outsourcing to India and such)
Salary: 10/10
Entrepreneurship: Not sure, I think that has more to do with the individual
Use to society: 10/10, computers are our world now.
Happiness: Again, has to do with the individual
Excellent assessment!

Kind of waitimg to what other posters would say since the OP is brand-new.

My daughter found all of the above to be true, PLUS grad school was completely funded. Sweet, huh?

If you loooove it, go for it.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:11 PM

I don't really know if I'll love it, but I can't see my self doing anything else besides CS or engineering. It's not just about the money, but I just think that technology is interesting.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:18 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Job security 9/10 - rising demand continues to outpace outsourcing
Salary 9/10 - solid (even for new grads) especially in relation to hours and education reqs
Potential for entrepreneurship 8/10 - potentially very low startup costs
Use to society 10/10
Happiness - to each their own, it has been a great career for me

Old 12-14-2010, 07:29 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,268,773 times
If you have a penchant for continuous learning, and you enjoy applying creativity, then this is about as good a choice as you can make. There are so many applications of computer science - from working in oil and gas, to working for NASA, working in a research department for a cancer hospital, working in a school district supporting infrastructure, making web sites, working on open source projects for fun and for the benefit of everyone, etc.

On the flip side, be vigilant of the direction of your career. Computer science changes VERY rapidly and you can get pigeonholed in obsolete technology. Also some places have high turnover.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:47 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Rating the major would depend on the school/program. While they all may cover the basics, some will be more rigorous and some will "specialize" in a particular area or two in order to stand out from the crowd. CS from MIT, WPI, Cal Tech, et. al. would be different than CS from Joe's Podunk State. Some schools/departments just expect more from their students than others.

But, in general:

Security: 7/10. There will always be a need, but there will always be be plenty of willing employees. I suppose it really depends on what aspect you do for employment.
Salary: 7/10. There is the potential to make big bucks; or peanuts.
Entrepreneurship: 10/10. Anyone can start their own business, CS majors are no different.
Use to society: 10/10. I think this goes without saying.
Happiness: 6/10. It really depends on the individual and where they end up working. I have a few friends who were CS majors that went into robotics. They absolutely love it. I have another friend who ended up working for an on-line trading company. He makes good money, but I wouldn't say that he is exactly thrilled about his job. Doesn't hate it, though. An ex GFs mom makes bank, six figures, but she has 13 years experience and has moved into a project manager position. Honestly, I think she hates it (but loves the money), or at least hates the people she works over. She claims they are lazy (because of job security reasons). Then I know a few people who either never really found a decent job, or ended up doing up other things.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:06 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
Get a security clearance somehow, that way you can do jobs that require them.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:31 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
I don't know many software developers who make peanuts. I mean I'm sure there are some but median salaries for the field demonstrate the the majority make pretty good money.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:10 PM

I heard that good Comp Sci majors can make like 80k starting out. Is that what SE make or programmers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities