Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 06:18 AM

19 posts, read 79,357 times

Advertisements

I am Vietnamese girl. I took SAT on Dec 4th, it's my first shot, quite bad I think. Math 670( should have been better), CR 440( need much more practises, I am working on it), W 540.

I have just got my score some minutes ago and now I am confused. I plan to apply to BYU for the program beginning next Fall. It's time for me to complete my application. But i am afraid that my score is not good enough. If u have any opinion, comment or advice, please don't hesitate to write on this thread. I appreciate all.

In addition, I registered for SAT test next Jan, too. I hope I can increase my score. I think I should apply for BYU even though my score is bad because of 2 reasons: first, I still have chance to show the admisson commitee who I am on my next SAT result; second, I need to, have to join a school next Fall. ( I graduated my high school on 2009,so I really want to get higher education as soon as possible)

What do u think? All replies will be definitely helpful to me. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 09:22 AM

866 posts, read 1,559,837 times
I'm not sure about your SAT score, most people use the ACT in Utah, but your GPA might be more of a problem. The average ACT score for BYU is about 28, which is an SAT score of 1900. You should still apply, you neve know what will happen.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:47 AM

467 posts, read 712,837 times
Haha, you posted this on CollegeConfidential as well didn't you? Anyway, Brigham Young has a 70% acceptance rate as shown here, and I'm sure a little increase in your score would get you in. Brigham Young University Admissions | My Chances.net - College admissions predictions.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelsMatt View Post
Haha, you posted this on CollegeConfidential as well didn't you? Anyway, Brigham Young has a 70% acceptance rate as shown here, and I'm sure a little increase in your score would get you in. Brigham Young University Admissions | My Chances.net - College admissions predictions.
Yes, exactly. U caught me.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:42 AM

Thank you both of u, Kangrui and TarheelsMatt!

Old 12-21-2010, 10:44 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingxing View Post
I am Vietnamese girl. I took SAT on Dec 4th, it's my first shot, quite bad I think. Math 670( should have been better), CR 440( need much more practises, I am working on it), W 540.

I have just got my score some minutes ago and now I am confused. I plan to apply to BYU for the program beginning next Fall. It's time for me to complete my application. But i am afraid that my score is not good enough. If u have any opinion, comment or advice, please don't hesitate to write on this thread. I appreciate all.

In addition, I registered for SAT test next Jan, too. I hope I can increase my score. I think I should apply for BYU even though my score is bad because of 2 reasons: first, I still have chance to show the admisson commitee who I am on my next SAT result; second, I need to, have to join a school next Fall. ( I graduated my high school on 2009,so I really want to get higher education as soon as possible)

What do u think? All replies will be definitely helpful to me. Thanks in advance.
Just join the Church of LDS, and you will be guaranteed admittance.

Joking aside, sort-of, BYU is more of a liberal arts college. As such, a high math score is not really required unless you plan to study one of their few sciences offered.

Your CR and writing are low. But, you mention you are Vietnamese. If English is not your first language, this could explain the low scores here and it is common for ESL speakers to score low on the CR. And, if English is not your first language, you may want to take the TOEFL.

Retaking the SAT is not a bad idea if you know you will do better the second time.

Also, are you applying to other schools? Or is your heart set on BYU?

There are many ways to impress the admittance commitee other than grades/scores.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangrui View Post
I'm not sure about your SAT score, most people use the ACT in Utah, but your GPA might be more of a problem. The average ACT score for BYU is about 28, which is an SAT score of 1900. You should still apply, you neve know what will happen.
Yeah. I am a little worried about my GPA, too. Actually, in Vietnam, we count GPA on the range of 0-10. With secondary and high schools, 8-10/10( equally to 3.2-4/4) means excellent. I have never seen any student in Vietnam that have GPA 10 out of 10 ( or 4/4), yet I have heard that there is in the US.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Just join the Church of LDS, and you will be guaranteed admittance.

Joking aside, sort-of, BYU is more of a liberal arts college. As such, a high math score is not really required unless you plan to study one of their few sciences offered.

Your CR and writing are low. But, you mention you are Vietnamese. If English is not your first language, this could explain the low scores here and it is common for ESL speakers to score low on the CR. And, if English is not your first language, you may want to take the TOEFL.

Retaking the SAT is not a bad idea if you know you will do better the second time.

Also, are you applying to other schools? Or is your heart set on BYU?

There are many ways to impress the admittance commitee other than grades/scores.
Thank you so much! I am not mormon.

It is unlucky that my strength in Math ( it's the best I've got) is not really helpful to my application to BYU. Btw, i intend to join the program of HR Management, it's not quite related to sciences though.

My TOEFL( Jun 2010) score is 72. I just took another test a week ago with the hope of increasing my score. I will get my result soon, hopefully it will make my application stronger.

I plan to apply to Southwest Minnesota State University,too. Compare these two school, BYU is gonna be better for sure, isn't it?
Still, I am working on finding some more schools that might match my profile ( my scores, my expected financial devotion, ...).

Old 12-21-2010, 11:53 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:

If you want to come to school here in Utah, why not go to the University of Utah? It's just as good as BYU and far more open to ideas the LDS church frowns upon. Your GPA should be good enough to get in too. Just a suggestion...

Last edited by Chango; 12-21-2010 at 12:05 PM..

Old 12-21-2010, 12:08 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Thank you so much! I am not mormon.

It is unlucky that my strength in Math ( it's the best I've got) is not really helpful to my application to BYU. Btw, i intend to join the program of HR Management, it's not quite related to sciences though.

My TOEFL( Jun 2010) score is 72. I just took another test a week ago with the hope of increasing my score. I will get my result soon, hopefully it will make my application stronger.

I plan to apply to Southwest Minnesota State University,too. Compare these two school, BYU is gonna be better for sure, isn't it?
Still, I am working on finding some more schools that might match my profile ( my scores, my expected financial devotion, ...).
A school you might want to consider is Suffolk University. Not a prestigious school by any means, but definitely better than SMSU and perhaps on par with BYU academically. I mention Suffolk because you more than likely will be accepted and they have a large Vietnamese student body, if that would matter to you. Their acceptance rate is around 70%, and they like to throw money at applicants ($15K scholarship for entering freshman and transfer students having a 3.0 GPA, amongst other aid). Plus it is in Boston, which can be good or bad, but better than south-west Minnesota (unless you like prairies).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities