Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2010, 09:32 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,386,632 times

Advertisements

As I get ready to transfer to the UofA for a BS in retailing and consumer science, I found out that I only need two more classes to add onto my major to also have a minor in business administration.

Is it worth it and will it make that much of a difference? I'm pretty terrified that through any hard work I put forth, that I may still struggle finding a job upon graduation (I'm expected to graduate in the fall of 2013 so who knows, the economy may be better by then) so I could use any boost I can get!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 09:45 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,028,068 times
If it's only 2 more classes, and you have a few years of school left, I would take them.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:50 AM

12,061 posts, read 23,089,443 times
Based on your major, I think that that would be a complimentary minor. It's certainly not going to hurt you. It's only two classes and you don't graduate till 2013.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:02 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,343,947 times
HR people do not understand "minors." By all means, get it, but on your resume show it right next to your retailing and consumer science.

Say:

Bachelor of Science - University of Arizona. Areas of Concentration: Major(s) Retailing, Consumer Science, Minor(s) Business Administration.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:13 AM

280 posts, read 1,132,394 times
For undergrad I majored in biology and minored in chemistry. The chem minor was only one additional class beyond the requirements for the bio degree. I can say for sure that it has not made one bit of difference in my career, although that could be because in grad school I moved away from bench science into public health, where a chem minor doesn't mean anything.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:49 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,091,857 times
I would do it to show you have a grasp of the "harder" skills like finance & accounting (assuming those would be included in a biz minor), as well as the "softer" merchandising skills. Especially if you want to be a buyer or merchandise planner- you need strong financial/ analytical/ math skills.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:56 AM

thanks for all the responses! It really helps!

Turtle-ya, those classes are included, regardless of having the minor, but I guess saying I have the minor would be more solid proof that I actually took those classes.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:02 PM

17,106 posts, read 56,712,890 times
The BA minor is a good move, just something to think about: how many more courses for a double major - bringing the BA up to a 2nd major or 2nd degree? Step daughter finished an accounting degree a little over a year ago and since the job market was soft at that time stuck around her school to finish off a 2nd degree in Finance.

I have never heard of a major in retail/consumer science, it might be quite rigorous but it's not something I recognize as a "hardcore" degree. BA is a hardcore degree.

Agree, good hardcore quantitative skills will serve you well.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
The BA minor is a good move, just something to think about: how many more courses for a double major - bringing the BA up to a 2nd major or 2nd degree? Step daughter finished an accounting degree a little over a year ago and since the job market was soft at that time stuck around her school to finish off a 2nd degree in Finance.

I have never heard of a major in retail/consumer science, it might be quite rigorous but it's not something I recognize as a "hardcore" degree. BA is a hardcore degree.

Agree, good hardcore quantitative skills will serve you well.
I think to make it a 2nd degree would require another 2-4 semesters of coursework and its through the business school (Eller), which is a whole different admissions process than the UA. If I do decide to do that, I could take night classes wherever I wind up moving to upon graduation and transfer my courses over to the University there. Thanks for that suggestion though, I didn't think of that.

As for how rigorous it is, there's a lot of math and analyzing in it as well as research, though definitely seems easier than BA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities