Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 06:39 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,232 times

Advertisements

I get as many of my needed books as possible from Amazon - WAAAY cheaper. If you're a student then you can get a 1-year Amazon Prime membership for free, which includes free 2-day shipping on eligible books. I don't bother with brick & mortar stores anymore; in this day and age, more often than not they just can't compete. Hell even most online retailers that I've tried can't do any better than Amazon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 08:09 PM
PYT

122 posts, read 290,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croye22 View Post
So here I am ordering my books and as usual they're overpriced at the bookstore. Found two on Half.com for cheap. But then I get to another and it's almost $200. But lo and behold the international edition, which is paperback, is only $50. Now someone kindly tell me why the **** are we being ripped off with hardback books?

Why isn't something being done by this? The content of the books are exactly the same yet the difference in price is so big.

And the problem is that books keep going outdated which is even a bigger slap in the face to us students.
Yeah... I spent much more my first year at College than the 3 remaining years at school. Once I discovered how buying "international/old editions", ordering from half.com/amazon and just borrowing/trading books with others can save so much money. College textbooks simply evaporated from my expenses.

Ironically, I used to work at a college bookstore.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:10 PM
PYT

122 posts, read 290,415 times
Quote:
So here I am ordering my books and as usual they're overpriced at the bookstore. Found two on Half.com for cheap. But then I get to another and it's almost $200. But lo and behold the international edition, which is paperback, is only $50. Now someone kindly tell me why the **** are we being ripped off with hardback books?

Why isn't something being done by this? The content of the books are exactly the same yet the difference in price is so big.

And the problem is that books keep going outdated which is even a bigger slap in the face to us students.
Yeah... I spent much more my first year at College than the 3 remaining years at school. Once I discovered how buying "international/old editions", ordering from half.com/amazon and just borrowing/trading books with others can save so much money, college textbooks simply evaporated from my expenses.

Ironically, I used to work at a college bookstore.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:18 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
I get as many of my needed books as possible from Amazon - WAAAY cheaper. If you're a student then you can get a 1-year Amazon Prime membership for free, which includes free 2-day shipping on eligible books. I don't bother with brick & mortar stores anymore; in this day and age, more often than not they just can't compete. Hell even most online retailers that I've tried can't do any better than Amazon.
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I priced out our son's books for this semester and several of the books were less expensive at the school bookstore. About half of the others were better at Amazon and the rest at Barnes and Noble.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:48 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,555,837 times
Quote:
Now someone kindly tell me why the **** are we being ripped off with hardback books?
Because you should have moved to eBooks! I rented a hardcover book priced at $107 for $26. You can copy-n-paste from the book into a word processor. This prevents needing to wade through useless anecdotal information when reviewing for an exam. You can instantly search ebooks when you need extra information about something with.

When you use paper books you're missing out on very good methods for learning.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:36 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,359,716 times
I almost always bought my books from a used college textbook store just down the street from campus and I know a lot of friends used half.com, eBay, and craigslist too.

One of the most ridiculous moments of my college career was when I ended my Biology class. The professor informed us that the book we were using was being discontinued, so we could make no money selling it, but he would appreciate it if we would donate our books back to the school so they could reuse them for one more semester. We all agreed that we would have a mass burning before we gave back books that were priced over $100 in the campus store. I still have that book. My daughter likes looking at the pictures.

Damn the man!

Old 01-16-2011, 05:45 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,176,348 times
Yeah, it sucks when you have to buy $4-500 worth of textbooks. But, when compared to the $5K+ per semester in tuition, it's a pretty small expense. Nobody ever said that college isn't expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities