U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 10:18 PM

16,434 posts, read 13,011,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by figmalt View Post
On the other hand, as one who relies on public transportation, it's not unusual for my bus to be late and cause me to arrive 5-10 minutes late to class. The only alternative is to take a bus that would put me at school an hour earlier, which I am frankly unwilling to do for an 8:30 am class.
I've had to do EXACTLY that thing, before...only not for class, for a job. You do what you've gotta. Work is not forgiving of public trans snafus. No reason for schools to be, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 10:18 PM

3,188 posts, read 2,588,689 times
figmalt - I agree. College isn't high school nor is it hired work. The shoe is kind of on the other foot as the student is actually paying the instructor. He or she is only hurting his or her self by missing instruction. I also agree that late entries can be a bit annoying. However, after 7 years of post-secondary education and even a few semesters of teaching, I have learned to tune it out. Your sister should too. If she feels the need to penalize for it, have 10% of the grade be based on "participation" (read: attendance, taken at the beginning of the class). Locking the students out of the room is probably going to cause her a bit of grief as tardiness is often a fact of life when people have day jobs. If an instructor ever did that to me, I'd go straight to his or her supervisor about it.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:22 PM

3,188 posts, read 2,588,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I've had to do EXACTLY that thing, before...only not for class, for a job. You do what you've gotta. Work is not forgiving of public trans snafus. No reason for schools to be, either.
Professional occupations are usually VERY forgiving when it comes to traffic issues. As most college students don't have their own, reliable transportation, schools and professors need to be flexible. S**t happens, roll with it and reward the students who comply.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:24 PM

7,495 posts, read 6,964,615 times
Well, I understand what you all are saying. However, adult people pay for their education. We don;t go yo college because our mom and dad said so. We all have family's, sick children, jobs and other things that can be the cause for late arrivals and absences. One morning I had somebody rear-end me at a traffic light on the way to school one morning. That was one unexcused tardiness. I had a sick child that caused me to be late one time due to an extra visit to the doctors clinic before class. Another day I had to come into work extra early which forced me to leave class 30 minutes early. That was another strike.
The teachers policy was. : A tardiness is a tardiness whatever the reason is. So here is this one particular college professor complaining about us showing up late, or not all all, like we are a bunch of children! Yet, himself shows up late a number of times.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:18 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,206,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That's my question View Post
Someone once told me that timeless is next to godliness. Well the students in my sisters college classes do not agree. She teaches small seminar classes where latecomers are disruptive. She begs the students to be on time but no one listens. Half of the students are late constantly walking into class 30 minutes late without an excuse. Discussion has to end while the person walks in and moves loudly to their seat and puts away their coat. When called to task for being late they simply say, "I was held up"

Would you recommend that the Instructor just lock the door when the class starts and not let in any latecomers?

my first question is what level of college kid does she deal with? first year or senior? if these are seniors and this seminar is towards their major then i dont believe you. if these are first year kids and this seminar is a supplement to their overall lecture course then i believe you. in my experience supplemental seminars have at most a 10% impact on the students overall grade. during undergrad my first and second years i had probably a handful of courses that had seminars attached to them that impacted your grade by 10%. basically all you had to do was show up so they could justify the need for TA's in that department but i digress.

is this a small college? large university?

first as a teacher myself you don't stop the lecture or discussion to berate the student a.) it wastes even more time which is dumb and b.) can lead to other issues that again waste more time. tell her to document document document and speak to whoever is above her about it. if the school has a policy then act on policy, if not then have her consult her supervisor or whoever is over her and seek guidance from them on the issue. second, how long are these seminars? 45 minutes? hour?

in a collegiate setting i'd lock the door if possible but again check with school policy. some schools may say that an instructor has to let the student in regardless of tardiness.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:41 AM

19 posts, read 1,444 times
I asked her for a update after I posted my orginal question yesterday. She got the Ok from the Assistant Dean to lock the door after ten minutes and put a sign on the door saying that no late comers would be admitted and the absence would be counted against the quota. She says that most of the late arriving students will get angry and start banging on the door causing further disruption!

Old 01-13-2011, 05:33 AM

2,049 posts, read 1,267,078 times
As a college-prep high school teacher, I tell my students that the professors lock the door when class starts. I have seen college students lined up listening outside the door because they were late and they chose to stay and take notes by listening from the hallway.

Recently two of my former students came to visit my class. I asked them if this was still done and they overwhelmingly agreed. I didn't know that tardies were allowed at all.

I attended 6 different colleges and none of them allowed tardies. Once the class began, you could leave but not enter.

The only way I could see making an exception is if a student notified you in advance and received permission to enter the class late for an approved reason. Otherwise, you get there an hour early if necessary.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:11 AM

9,856 posts, read 7,063,312 times
she has to start acting like the authority figure and stop 'begging her students' to be on time. I am taking classes for a graduate degree at night now, and one of my professors told us on the first day "if you are going to be late and don't let me know ahead of time, don't bother showing up"

The next time a student gets in late, ask for an excuse and if they don't have any, just tell them to leave. Very simple...

Old 01-13-2011, 06:25 AM

5,744 posts, read 13,933,747 times
What is her policy in the syllabus? She should stick to it.
I have a professor this semester who is strict about timeliness. She takes attendence at the very start of class. If you aren't there by the time she is done, it's a tardy. Three tardies = an unexcused absence, which knocks off 25 points from your final grade (total points for the semester is 1005).
Otherwise, most of my professors have been very lenient with coming in late...BUT I am in graduate schools, and almost everyone is an experienced professional, and does not make a rucus when they come in, if they are late.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:04 AM

19 posts, read 1,444 times
The trouble is they do cause a rukus when they come in late. Because a lot of the work is group projects, case studies and role playing, things are already started within ten minutes of the class start time. The late comers will arrive in the class and ask what is going on and the Instructor will have to stop each time and get these people up to speed.

It is not a question of being adults and professionals, being late in these types of classes is disruptive.

I can't picture some no nonsense CEO is going to stop his presentation in an executive meeting while some of his employees come into the meeting 30 minutes late. College should be a prepartation for the real world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
What is her policy in the syllabus? She should stick to it.
I have a professor this semester who is strict about timeliness. She takes attendence at the very start of class. If you aren't there by the time she is done, it's a tardy. Three tardies = an unexcused absence, which knocks off 25 points from your final grade (total points for the semester is 1005).
Otherwise, most of my professors have been very lenient with coming in late...BUT I am in graduate schools, and almost everyone is an experienced professional, and does not make a rucus when they come in, if they are late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities