Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 10:21 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times

Advertisements

If you're attending a 4 year or a 2 year college - show the hell up on time for your classes. What is so hard? And if it is? You should have thought about how hard it would be for you to get to class before you signed up for any of it and probably should have looked a little harder into taking online classes so you could do so at your whim and leisure.

Excuses don't cut it, that's all they are: excuses. Whether it be a excuse revolving around a 100 or 300 level class.

Maybe you should re-think the college you're attending or WHY you are even in college if showing up on time to a class is so beneath you. Because if you think that the 100 level prof's shouldn't give you a hard time, they are living up to what is expected of the students they admit into the college, no matter the level of the course, and good luck when you find the 100 level prof teaching higher level classes you NEED to graduate. They already have your number.

Slugs at the lowest level remain slugs at every level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 10:24 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post

No, man! Some people are just SUPER DEDICATED EMPLOYEES, and are constantly having their jobs conflict with their evening classes, which they didn't realize when they signed up! Or something.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:35 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
^Not all people have the luxury of having nothing else to do. If you're taking graduate classes and your boss needs you to stay and finish something for a presentation or you get an emergency call from a customer a few minutes before you're supposed to leave work, you would keep timely attendance as your priority? In my opinion, that makes you the one who is less competition for the rest of us.
Why take classes if you can't commit to them?

How far would not committing to your job get you?

It's a good thing, for a lot on this thread, that college classes are an apparent after-thought and/or a "continuing education" kind of a thing.

Either way, why waste your time/money/company money if you're not that serious about it and then get your panties all twisted in a knot when the prof is telling you his time is HIS priority in the class HE is teaching and THIS is they was HE is going to RUN IT..and if you can't mesh, don't BOTHER to walk into the class late or get upset when you do and can't pass the class b/c you've been so tardy for the party more than once or twice.

The teacher or professor owes you nothing. You paid for a class, you don't show up on time? S/He's got rules about late-commer's? That's your problem. Not his/hers.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:39 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,703,263 times
How do they pass? I know most colleges where I am you can't pass if you are late/absent too many times. I've had loads of professors claiming that they'd lock the door or whatever, none ever did.

Last semester students would come in the class eating food! I don't think it is fair to those that want to learn, and if you want to risk those students who want to learn for those who don't then allowing it to continue is the perfect way to go. That is her classroom. People should be mature enough to be on time to learn.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:07 AM

51 posts, read 362,303 times
Quote:
If you're attending a 4 year or a 2 year college - show the hell up on time for your classes. What is so hard? And if it is? You should have thought about how hard it would be for you to get to class before you signed up for any of it and probably should have looked a little harder into taking online classes so you could do so at your whim and leisure.

Excuses don't cut it, that's all they are: excuses. Whether it be a excuse revolving around a 100 or 300 level class.

Maybe you should re-think the college you're attending or WHY you are even in college if showing up on time to a class is so beneath you. Because if you think that the 100 level prof's shouldn't give you a hard time, they are living up to what is expected of the students they admit into the college, no matter the level of the course, and good luck when you find the 100 level prof teaching higher level classes you NEED to graduate. They already have your number.

I am torn in this debate. If I had only my life and opinions to consider, I would agree 100% with what was said in the above comment. However, because my mom is currently attending a community college, I know the extent of those who have a true reason for being late. Using my mom as an example: she gets out of her full time job at 6pm, has to go through traffic in order to make it home by 6:30, makes sure my brothers are taken care of (e.g. homework, cooking), and if she's lucky leaves the house at or before 6:50 in order to make it to a 7pm class. Should my mom be punished because she has a family? Should she be forced to give up her attempts to get a degree because she is not a traditional student? I don't think so. Many older students are in a similar situation.

However, it irritates me when other students come in late and disrupt the class by requesting to be caught up or by breaking the teacher's train of thought. Since I am at the university level, I see this more often because these disruptions are usually caused by young adults who thought it was cute to lose track of time.

But somehow I feel like taking pity on older students and punishing younger students is unfair. In this case I don't know what to do. Have the professor lock the door or take off points? Even for me it seems to harsh. Some people just have good reason. But how can you tell who has a "good reason"? Emailing the teacher seems like a plan. But how can you make sure they are really "good excuses"? I guess one way would be to notice who keeps sending excuses - chances are they are the ones who can't be bothered to look at the time - , but what teacher is going to do that? I can go on and on, but there never seems to be a justified solution.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:47 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Maybe you should re-think the college you're attending or WHY you are even in college if showing up on time to a class is so beneath you.

I went to college so I could learn something useful, graduate, and get a job, not so I could win the citizenship award for perfect attendance.

Now that I've achieved success in my academic goals and have moved on, I can look back and laugh at the petty righteous indignation of people like you, and others in this thread. I can thank god that i'm done living under the thumb of people with your attitude.

Where I am now, people can recognize the difference between crap work and quality work, and that is what drives the decision-making. If your employer is obsessive about tardiness, then all that means is that you are an interchangable widget whose job is not very difficult to replace. Like the military, irrational punishment is a classic strategy for ensuring that the ground troops understand who is "the boss".

Last edited by le roi; 01-18-2011 at 10:00 AM..

Old 01-18-2011, 01:17 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
I agree with le roi. I have the same views on college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I went to college so I could learn something useful, graduate, and get a job, not so I could win the citizenship award for perfect attendance.

Now that I've achieved success in my academic goals and have moved on, I can look back and laugh at the petty righteous indignation of people like you, and others in this thread. I can thank god that i'm done living under the thumb of people with your attitude.

Where I am now, people can recognize the difference between crap work and quality work, and that is what drives the decision-making. If your employer is obsessive about tardiness, then all that means is that you are an interchangable widget whose job is not very difficult to replace. Like the military, irrational punishment is a classic strategy for ensuring that the ground troops understand who is "the boss".

Old 01-19-2011, 10:46 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
So college students do not recognize that it is *rude* to come to class late and disrupt a seminar? I am glad I don't teach college anymore and I am glad I was brought up in an era where being on time was considered a virtue.

There are times when being late is unavoidable, but if several students are coming in late constantly and coming in more than 5 to 10 minutes late, then why are they even in the course? This is *your* education. If the class is not valuable enough for you to be on time, then why even bother to come to class at all?

I taught math on both the high school and college level. While I never penalized students for being tardy, we did not have much of a problem with this back in the 70s when I taught college. If students were tardy, they missed a lot. There were very few college freshmen who could *get it* from reading the book in Finite Math or Calculus. Since they had to pass a math class or flunk out entirely, they usually came to class on time.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:50 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
So college students do not recognize that it is *rude* to come to class late and disrupt a seminar? I am glad I don't teach college anymore and I am glad I was brought up in an era where being on time was considered a virtue.
Yes, it is basic manners, which apparently are not that important to some people. Being late (without good reason) for something to which you are expected (a meeting, a class you have registered for, an appointment, etc...) IS rude, and tells the other people you think you are more important than them. Occasional lateness due to transportation issues, emergencies, etc... is generally excusable, and not rude, especially if one, at the appropriate time, apologizes/asks for information that was missed, but habitual lateness out of an attitude of "I don't need to be here til I want to be here" shows a lack of courtesy. Like I mentioned previously, for some programs, tardiness can result in removal/re-cycling in the program.

If you are a shift worker (nurse, hospital physician/resident, police, etc...) being on time and ready to start when your co-worker is ready to go home is pretty important. They cannot leave until you get there.

If you are in sales, showing up late to meet with a client can leave a bad impression.

So sometimes its not about a tyrannical boss but an awareness that people are relying on you.

If a class is not counting attendance, I still think showing up 15-30 minutes into it is disruptive and perhaps the student should just skip, wait outside to see if they can get notes from someone, or wait for a break in the class if there happens to be one.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:39 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,476,898 times
Well, college students are grown folk. And if grown folk want to be late, then its their business.

I was late to an accounting class this week by about five minutes. I feel as long as it is not a regular thing and you are only late by at most 10 minutes, then its ok. I was late today for an econ class by 25 min. So I waited outside until the class ended (another 25 min) to give the prof my hw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities