Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 07:47 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,523,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
My dh, OTOH, is always early for everything. He's in school and wouldn't schedule a class that he couldn't be early for.
I am this way, as well. I ALWAYS plan to be where I need to be minimum of 20 minutes early. I have plenty of stuff I can work on while I wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 07:52 PM

53 posts, read 109,540 times
Give a two minute delay and then lock the door. Sweeet!

Old 01-19-2011, 08:04 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,178,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I am this way, as well. I ALWAYS plan to be where I need to be minimum of 20 minutes early. I have plenty of stuff I can work on while I wait.
Yea, especially for things like a class or any environment where your presence is going to be noticed. And you are going to be noticed coming in late to a class. I was on my way to a seminar a few months ago and didn't leave myself enough time (I got lost). I was late and just decided not to go in. It would have been rude otherwise. If it's going to affect people in the slightest than that's enough of a reason to be on time (most of the time at least).

Old 01-19-2011, 08:13 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,523,977 times
I have definitely had it happen where I have neglected to map out my route sufficiently, and gotten lost on my way to something, and ended up running significantly late.

If it's not been something essential, I will typically forego attending rather than walk in late and disrupt.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:48 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,476,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Not when those "grown folk" are interrupting a lecture that I am listening to. Then it's *my* business.
I don't care what you think. They are GROWN, not children. And especially not YOUR children. Who cares about you? You are not the only one in the class. You are not the only important one in the class. If the person comes in quietly enough, it is not that bad. Maybe you need to learn how to ignore them coming in.

As others have noted, people have various reasons for coming late. Most are not doing it just for fun or to tick people off. Some of the commuters may come in late once in a blue moon because of bad parking. The professor understands this and excuses them.

Please understand that the world doesn't revolve around you. Again, it is NONE of your business. What are you going to do? Fuss at your grown classmate for being late? The only thing that will happen is that people will look at you like you are crazy.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:52 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,476,407 times
Quote:
Entitled much?

You follow the rules of the environment. It's not a power trip. It is extremely disruptive to arrive late for class. I *hate* when fellow students do it during a lecture. It's really rude.
Again, none of your business. If they are late, they are late. End of story. Just suck it up and go on with your life. Most professors I know only go after those who are habitually late or who come in after 10+ minutes.

Quote:
She should lock the door and be done with it.
Again, nunya business. Most professors don't lock doors b/c it is childish. Why stoop to a third grade level when you obviously are smart enough to get a masters or a phd?
Quote:
Then an email or phone call to your professor is in order.
Um, he said that it was a last minute thing. The professor won't get the email or call at last minute.
Quote:
Put that big brush away. I was raised in the 80s and 90s. I know being on time is important.
LOL! So, it is okay for you to stereotype others, as long as they don't do the same to you? Thank you. I love having a good laugh before bedtime.

Magritte, you seem a little too obsessed with this topic, no?

Last edited by Marissy; 01-19-2011 at 10:01 PM..

Old 01-20-2011, 06:47 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,829,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post

Again, nunya business. Most professors don't lock doors b/c it is childish. Why stoop to a third grade level when you obviously are smart enough to get a masters or a phd?
It's everyone's business when the class is disrupted. Maybe you don't value your education enough to be on time but other people do!

Old 01-20-2011, 06:57 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,712,475 times
Quote:
Entitled much?
yup. school isn't cheap.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:49 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,282,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Employees who can't work out a way to make it to work in a timely manner aren't necessarily going to be valued as worth it in all settings, though. Chance you take.
No, not necessarily. But in professional atmospheres there is more leeway, depending on the industry.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:51 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,282,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
I don't care what you think. They are GROWN, not children. And especially not YOUR children. Who cares about you? You are not the only one in the class. You are not the only important one in the class. If the person comes in quietly enough, it is not that bad. Maybe you need to learn how to ignore them coming in.

As others have noted, people have various reasons for coming late. Most are not doing it just for fun or to tick people off. Some of the commuters may come in late once in a blue moon because of bad parking. The professor understands this and excuses them.

Please understand that the world doesn't revolve around you. Again, it is NONE of your business. What are you going to do? Fuss at your grown classmate for being late? The only thing that will happen is that people will look at you like you are crazy.
LOL You sound like my preschooler. You come off as very spoiled and entitled. A mature person realizes their actions affect others.

Please understand that the world doesn't revolve around YOU and that classes are scheduled for a reason. It is MY business when YOU are disrupting the class that *I* am paying for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities