Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 11:06 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times

Advertisements

24 days from today my oldest is heading off to college.

Just spent the weekend shopping for him. By myself, b/c he couldn't care less about what his comforter or sheets look like or how much extra "under the bed storage" he doesn't know he needs. He did, however, head off to Staples this evening after he got home from his summer job and bought "desk stuff". You know, tape, a stapler, highlighters, pens, pencils, notebooks, a desk calendar, etc.

Have a fridge, a microwave, a fan, comforter, sheets (2 sets), pillows, towels, shower caddy & all of the "stuff" that goes in to one, hamper, printer, hangers, a small box of cold meds & pain relief meds, etc.

What did you send you kid to college with that he/she didn't need, or you found out that he/she needed & didn't have?

I'm not sure if I'm over-doing it or missing a few things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 11:24 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Durable Power of Attorney, Health Care Proxy, HIPPA Form, and Living Will.

No, I'm not kidding.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:25 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Durable Power of Attorney, Health Care Proxy, HIPPA Form, and Living Will.

No, I'm not kidding.
good idea ^^^ (Not kidding)

Mine went with NOTHING but their OWN $35 car (off our policy since day one) and a few bucks in their pocket. They grew up FAST... found and rented their own flats and subleased, (paid every dime of U + books + food + clothes). They were really demanding on the school and profs since my kids expected VALUE for their hard earned and harder spent $$. They held multiple jobs in college (each were DONE (Summa C-um Laude) and well employed by age 20 (since WA State gave them free college instead of HS).

They were 'other "wise"' pretty well equipped for college. (totally on their own / life skills / worker skills (high paying jobs)
Had been trading their ROTH IRAs since age 12, so each invested 100% of the equivalent of their college loan in equities and made a bundle. (500 - 800+%) so... 10 yrs later... they still have 50% remaining of their 2.8% consolidated student loans, and are very happy about (still) using that money to great gain!

They didn't change majors, and haven't 'rebelled' yet!

Anything can happen, anytime.

Best benefit for my kids during college was REALLY growing up FAST by having to fend for themselves 100%.

Having just participated in interviewing and hiring 6 college grads into professional positions ... there is a LOT of room for improvement from parents and U's. To do it over again... (I just finished a grad program post age 50) I would send my kids on a one way ticket outside of USA to get their edu, work experience, and cultural savvy. A friend did that with his kids with interesting results! (Some came home after 5-7 yrs, some never came home and still lived happily ever after).

Given LOTS of responsibility, kids usually will shine. They are far more adaptive / creative / adventurous than their parents! I trust they are far more successful and happy!

Old 08-01-2017, 06:48 AM

8,053 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post

LOL You're over-doing it, but all Mom's overdo it. My wife overdid it, too. Don't sweat it. He'll be fine.

Maybe get him a spare charger for his phone. Our son's died (actually, it wouldn't fast-charge) when he was there for a few weeks.

And a printer with a cable. Yeah they should be able to use the "central" printer in the library, and yeah they should be able to print via WiFi, but for convenience get him his own printer.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:03 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
What we've found in our family: take a minimum of things for one week and then make a list of what is truly needed.

I've known young men to get by with a smart phone, school backpack (with computer notebook, pens, laptop), ditty bag (toiletries), and seven tee shirts, four pairs of jeans, skivvies, one sweat shirt and a raincoat for many weeks. In that case, the dorm was providing linens (for a fee, of course) and that young man had a meal plan on campus.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:05 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
good idea ^^^ (Not kidding)
In my experience, moms tend to worry too much about outfitting a dorm room and not enough about ensuring that all the legal, financial, & insurance documentation is in place. Look up the dorm packing list issued by the college, hand it to your student, and let him worry about it. He'll ask for help if he needs it. Been there, done that.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:06 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Before you buy microwaves and fridges, check school policy. Some only allow micro fridges. Also many students loft their beds so under bed storage may not fit in the room. Coordinate with the roommate so you don't double up on big stuff like fridge, microwave, printer, tv etc. For example our daughters first year we got the printer and roommate got the fridge. They split ink and paper when needed.

Also small things like a real basic tool kit for assembling things. Command hooks for walls.

Amazon prime for books. Much cheaper than the bookstore.

Collapsible laundry basket. Some basic cups, a bowel, and a couple utensils for cereal, coffee, and such when the don't feel like the dining hall. Keurig machine because they live on coffee and it's cheaper than the campus Starbucks.

Good umbrella and rain gear because they will be walking to class in the rain.

But again on the big stuff coordinate with the roommate to avoid duplication.

Last edited by tnff; 08-01-2017 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: Typing on my phone

Old 08-01-2017, 09:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
In my experience, moms tend to worry too much about outfitting a dorm room and not enough about ensuring that all the legal, financial, & insurance documentation is in place. Look up the dorm packing list issued by the college, hand it to your student, and let him worry about it. He'll ask for help if he needs it. Been there, done that.
Agreed. And remember, they're not going to the "great beyond" (usually). There's almost always a Target, Walmart, etc around where they can buy what they don't have, and often a student store on campus as well.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:37 AM

2,199 posts, read 3,356,826 times
Your list is fine. My son also brought a mattress cover, mattress pad (the beds were HARD) and clip on fan (to attach to bed at night) instead of a desk fan. The cold meds/pain relief meds box should include basic first aid items – bandages, alcohol pads, Neosporin, pepto if he ever uses, etc. You might want to toss in a very small sewing kit (one of those that has 3 basic colors, needle and small scissors). That came in handy when my son sewed a button back on his shirt.

Check with roommates as to what they’re bringing (you don’t want 2 microwaves, 2 fridges, etc). My son’s college room came with a microfridge and they didn't allow students to bring their own.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:38 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
24 days from today my oldest is heading off to college.

Just spent the weekend shopping for him. By myself, b/c he couldn't care less about what his comforter or sheets look like or how much extra "under the bed storage" he doesn't know he needs. He did, however, head off to Staples this evening after he got home from his summer job and bought "desk stuff". You know, tape, a stapler, highlighters, pens, pencils, notebooks, a desk calendar, etc.

Have a fridge, a microwave, a fan, comforter, sheets (2 sets), pillows, towels, shower caddy & all of the "stuff" that goes in to one, hamper, printer, hangers, a small box of cold meds & pain relief meds, etc.

What did you send you kid to college with that he/she didn't need, or you found out that he/she needed & didn't have?

You way over did it.

My kids got all of their stuff on their own paid for from summer jobs which also was their spending money for college.

What did we do for them? We gave them a college education. That was enough.

Ga Tech, USC, USC, and East Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities