Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 05:56 PM

37 posts, read 57,707 times

Advertisements

As someone who dropped out for about three years and went back I can tell u that the first two years are extremely boring but it is wat it is getting a degree really doesnt take that long, can only help u getting jobs and ur surrounded by members of the opposite sex all day, get it done make life easeir for urself down the road, I had a hard time living for tomorow when i started college but now thats how i look at things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 07:58 PM

326 posts, read 813,710 times
OK thanks i feel better about college already

Old 01-23-2011, 10:20 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,692,387 times
Depending on your age you might want to take some time off and hope you come back. People say it's bad to take time off because most don't come back. But if you're wasting money and failing classes I think you should.

If you're not failing and are passing classes then you aren't wasting your time.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:30 PM

326 posts, read 813,710 times
yea im passing them

Old 01-24-2011, 11:24 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird11208 View Post
I feel like its not for me i have no motivation to stay.... i feel like i am wasting money? Am i making the right decision?
Depends. What's your next best alternative, and are you ok with the consequences in terms of your future financial wealth and likely living standard? Bills are not going to go away.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:59 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird11208 View Post
you guys are not supposed to support this....you supposed to talk me out and tell me the value of a college degree
OK Here goes. My college degree cost me $72,000. I guess that is two degrees though as I have a Masters degree. Anyway the value is about $72,000. Or is that the price I paid to have lots of sleepless nights while I worked full time to put myself through school and raise my family. Look I didn't go to school right out of high school. I had other plans at the time. They didn't pan out as I wanted them too and figured as an adult that an education was the key to a successfull life. It was a lot of work but I am in a better position now than in the past. I am not saying that is for everyone. Heck I run a side business that does OK. I also have a trade that I learned. I can open just about any kind of lock around. Besides this MBA I am also a Certified Master Locksmith (CML). Many trades also have the ability to make someone a lot of money.

The deal is finding something that you like doing and do it better than any one else. If an education will get you there than go for it. I tell my kids that same thing. One son wanted to make money designing video games. He told me that he wouldn't need to go to school to do that. I told him is that was the case he could do it now. I even gave him time to do it. Turns out that didn't work out for him. He has a lot to learn. Lucky him that my brother has a client that happens to make video games. They have some successfull games and the opportunity for my son to see what it would take to get into that line of work.

Maybe you just need to figure out what you want to do for now.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:56 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
I had this question last year. I took a leave of absence from my current school, and worked at a supermarket for some months. After 3 months I realized this was NOT the life I wanted to live and I made a great application for reinstatement, got reinstated, and got a good GPA last semester and plan on getting a good one this semester.

So if you really don't think you're a fit for college, work in some menial labor for a while and see if you can handle it. You could go to vocational school, join the military or something as well.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:56 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,134 times
Stick with the 2 year program at your community college. You are saving a ton of money in tuition. Then transfer to a 4 year program and put plenty of thought into where you want to go so you have the best chance of being happy. It takes a while to adjust to a school so give it time.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:16 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I had this question last year. I took a leave of absence from my current school, and worked at a supermarket for some months. After 3 months I realized this was NOT the life I wanted to live and I made a great application for reinstatement, got reinstated, and got a good GPA last semester and plan on getting a good one this semester.

So if you really don't think you're a fit for college, work in some menial labor for a while and see if you can handle it. You could go to vocational school, join the military or something as well.
Right on, HurricaneDC. I never dropped out. But believe me, the thought has crossed my mind. Sometimes I get frustrated with my lack of money and having to live off my parents.

But whenever I have thoughts of dropping out, I realize I wouldn't make much money if I dropped out. I would still be dependent on my parents, and I would likely be dependent on them forever. Whereas if I get a degree and get a good job, I can support myself eventually.

This motivation is what keeps me in school whenever I think of dropping out. Besides, it's not that bad. I actually enjoy what I'm studying.

I know some people our age that are making just barely enough to live and they think they have it made. Just wait until they're 30 and their peers that went to college are making more money. There's a saying: rich 19 year olds will be poor 30 year olds.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:25 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,510 times
Honestly, I understand where you are coming from OP. I am in my second year of college, and some of the classes bore me to tears. But, nowadays, the average Joe MUST get a degree in order to advance and make money in this life.

I'd rather get it out the way and be done by 22 than drop out, find I screwed myself up, and have to go back in my late twenties to early thirties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities