Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 12:29 AM

484 posts, read 2,210,237 times

Advertisements

Hey guys...I have the option of
a.renting a used/new book or
b. buying a used/new book.

Renting a used is the cheapest option and I think renting a new book is kind of dumb..... Buying a new book is also dumb while buying used might be smart.

I have this dilemma now... Renting used=cheap but you don't get your money back as opposed to buying a used textbook in which you could possibly resell at the same price in the future in which that means you didn't really fork out any money for the books.
Which option do you think is the best for the ones who want a higher return on our investment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 07:11 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
FWIW I have NEVER EVER resold a text book for the same as I bought it. It's always less.

As for renting, sometimes they have to book and you have to wait for it to get to you (if you do it online). That in it's self was a turn off for me.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:22 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
It depends, if the book is for a gen ed and you KNOW you will not need it in the future, renting is a good option. Keep in mind that the rental terms often do NOT coordinate with the college terms (semesters) and you may have to return the book before the class is over or pay a hefty fee-often MORE then what it would have cost new.

We just spent some time researching the best prices for books and have found that for most books, buying used from Amazon or Barnes and Nobel have been the most economical-even over renting.

We just put everything into an excel sheet and figured out the best prices from various sources. For this semester, our son's books, all new, would have been over $800. Utilizing used books in there we got the cost down to about $250. He actually only ended up buying a new workbook for his Chinese class, a used copay of the textbook for that class and used copies of 2 other books he needs. He is borrowing the others from friends in his dorm that had the classes last semester. His out of pocket costs this semester will be just under $100.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:34 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I've never received full money back on a used book, either. When buying (with hopes of reselling) you also run the that they'll change the edition on you and you'll get little to no money.

I've never rented a book (I don't think that was even an option when I was in school), but agree that shopping around will get you the best prices. Get the official ISBN numbers and do some price comparisons, if you haven't already. There probably isn't one single right answer for this one, and you'll find it to vary book-by-book, class-by-class.

For things that aren't pressing, you may also want to wait until you see the syllabi; you could well run into professors who assign books that are seldom used. For those you might be best off checking to see if you can get it at the library; both of my colleges (undergraduate and graduate) had copies of all books on reserve at the library, and you could check them out for a couple of hours at a time. While that could be difficult for a heavily-used text, it could be good enough for many purposes.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:08 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I've never received full money back on a used book, either. When buying (with hopes of reselling) you also run the that they'll change the edition on you and you'll get little to no money.

I've never rented a book (I don't think that was even an option when I was in school), but agree that shopping around will get you the best prices. Get the official ISBN numbers and do some price comparisons, if you haven't already. There probably isn't one single right answer for this one, and you'll find it to vary book-by-book, class-by-class.

For things that aren't pressing, you may also want to wait until you see the syllabi; you could well run into professors who assign books that are seldom used. For those you might be best off checking to see if you can get it at the library; both of my colleges (undergraduate and graduate) had copies of all books on reserve at the library, and you could check them out for a couple of hours at a time. While that could be difficult for a heavily-used text, it could be good enough for many purposes.
Our DS learned this right away. He didn't get any books until classes started this semester because half the books that were marked "required" first semester he never used.

We didn't have the option of checking around when I was in college-you could only get your textbooks in the school bookstore. They bought used copies for pennies on the dollar and resold them for a huge mark up though. If you were lucky you would get $5 for a $100 textbook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities