Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 09:01 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times

Advertisements

Midwestern States
A quick list for the geographically challenged:

Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Ohio
Wisconsin

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
U Chicago
Notre Dame
Wash U

all come to mind.

Just curious, how may people have heard of Case Western Reserve University??
Great college. I know a few graduates. One is now in medical school.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:29 AM

62 posts, read 93,869 times
What about the University of Iowa ?.Member of the Big Ten,Association of American Universities, Committee on Institutional Cooperation, and the Universities Research Association.Also,its endowment just topped a billion dollars.Also categorized as one with very high research activitiy.Three specialty departments were recognized as being in the top ten across the country.Not as good as the others but still I think its worth a mention in some areas.

Last edited by avengerr91; 03-20-2011 at 02:34 AM.. Reason: Wrong Information

Old 03-20-2011, 08:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
If you want to make money after graduating from a public school, the Colorado School of Mines is ranked #1. Thats what employers seem to like.

Just an interesting thought.
Link? It's highly ranked, but I believe CU and several other schools are ahead of it.

Some people do consider Colorado the midwest, BTW.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:13 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Midwestern States
A quick list for the geographically challenged:

Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Ohio
Wisconsin
Add:
North Dakota
South Dakota
Kansas
Nebraska

Old 03-20-2011, 02:15 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Add:
North Dakota
South Dakota
Kansas
Nebraska
Yup.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:55 PM

I looked at a few sites and two considered the four states above to be Great Plains States, but looks like Wikipedia includes them. Midwestern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Good enough for me! Colorado the midwest??

Realtors, See This.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I looked at a few sites and two considered the four states above to be Great Plains States, but looks like Wikipedia includes them. Midwestern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Good enough for me! Colorado the midwest??
Midwestern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Today people as far west as eastern Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana, and southward into Oklahoma sometimes identify themselves with the term Midwest.[9]

There is a lot of discussion on the Colorado boards about this. I wouldn't call Colorado School of Mines or any of the colleges in Colorado "midwestern" though. They don't identify as such.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:32 PM

83 posts, read 340,031 times
U of C is not just the Harvard of the Midwest, but the two schools are so similar that U of C = Harvard and I'll tell you why:

1.) Both are strong in liberal arts
2.) Both are strong in business/economics
3.) Both are strong in medicine
4.) Both are strong in physical sciences
5.) Both SUCK in engineering (I don't think it even exists at UofC and at Harvard, their department just started roughly 4years ago).
6.) Both are $50k/yr schools.
7.) Both have many Nobel Laureates associated with the institutions.
8.) Related to the previous point, they both have long, rich histories (UofC physics and Harvard medical in particular).

So, you can see that their similarities are frightening. NO other school in the Midwest comes close to being so similar to Harvard than U of C. (Northwestern does not have 4, 7 and 8 and 5 is arguable depending on specific field)

/thread

Old 03-24-2011, 01:50 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,482,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Link? It's highly ranked, but I believe CU and several other schools are ahead of it.

Some people do consider Colorado the midwest, BTW.
This is from Wikipedia:

"The median B.Sc. starting salary is $62,000[6], and the median B.Sc. salary at mid-career is $113,000[7], making CSM the top public university in terms of salary potential[7] and ranked fourth for all public or private engineering schools, just behind Caltech and MIT[8]"

As a Colorado resident, I see Colorado being called the midwest very frequently. Kansas is in the middle, Colorado is in the midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities