Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 07:56 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
No it is not. Michigan accepts sub-par minority students over much more qualified non-minority students just to fill a quota.
Ohio State is closer to Pitt and Rutgers in a reputation/selectivity sense.

Michigan is closer to Berkeley and U of Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 07:57 PM

9,339 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
No it is not. Michigan accepts sub-par minority students over much more qualified non-minority students just to fill a quota.
Incredibly racist AND wrong. Check yo standardized test bands:

Michigan
///
SAT
CR: 600-700
Math: 650-750
Writing: 620-720

ACT Composite
28-32

OSU
///
SAT
CR: 540-660
Math: 600-700
Writing: 550-650

ACT Composite
26-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba
Yes, Pitt is comparable to Rutgers.

If your friends had that going on, then they had a kick arse GPA or resume or something else special going on, because my sis had a 3.3 or 3.4 from Columbia and real good (not awesome) MCAT scores and got in nowhere the first time before she reapplied (2nd time she got into multiple places).

I also know several people who went to various Ivy League schools and MIT for premed and very few of them got into top 20 schools. We're talking about admittance into middle of the pack med schools, which really is very good.

So I stand by my original statement ... a 3.3 at Rutgers and you'd have to start thinking about alternate options to American MD school.

Not that I care at all ... I never even applied or was interested in an MD myself. I just know so many people who went that route, I'm kind of familiar with it.
Yes, and I'm trying to say your sister would probably have gotten somewhat higher than a 3.3 or 3.4 if she had gone to, say, Binghamton or Buffalo, which makes it more or less even out. I'm not denying that top schools don't provide perks state schools simply can't offer. I'm just saying that as far as most grad schools go you'll end up in about the same place if you put in the same amount of work. You can't coast on UG prestige alone.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:14 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Incredibly racist AND wrong. Check yo standardized test bands:

Michigan
///
SAT
CR: 600-700
Math: 650-750
Writing: 620-720

ACT Composite
28-32

OSU
///
SAT
CR: 540-660
Math: 600-700
Writing: 550-650

ACT Composite
26-30

Yes, and I'm trying to say your sister would probably have gotten somewhat higher than a 3.3 or 3.4 if she had gone to, say, Binghamton or Buffalo, which makes it more or less even out. I'm not denying that top schools don't provide perks state schools simply can't offer. I'm just saying that as far as most grad schools go you'll end up in about the same place if you put in the same amount of work. You can't coast on UG prestige alone.

Go read your history books. The University of Michigan lost a lawsuit several years ago because the school was admitting lesser-qualified minority students over more-qualified non-minority students.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Ohio State is closer to Pitt and Rutgers in a reputation/selectivity sense.

Michigan is closer to Berkeley and U of Virginia.

Berkeley and UVa are nothing more than state schools.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Go read your history books. The University of Michigan lost a lawsuit several years ago because the school was admitting lesser-qualified minority students over more-qualified non-minority students.
I know the cases, breh. I actually read them in Con Law this semester. The fact that Michigan was singled out does not change the fact that just about every undergraduate institution practices a similar form of affirmative action, including, gasp, the Ivies! I doubt OSU is any exception to the rule. What Michigan did wrong was explicitly apportion a disproportionate number of "points" to ethnic status. It's not hard for universities with nominally "holistic" systems to do the exact same thing and still pass constitutional muster, a fact the concurring justices were eager to point out.

And who cares if Berkeley and UVA are state schools? They're still superior to the vast majority of private universities. They're certainly better than Syracuse, GW, and Miami, which, while certainly decent schools, are still on the same plane as Rutgers, Pitt, Penn State, OSU, etc.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 05-11-2012 at 09:42 PM..

Old 05-11-2012, 09:53 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Most people are not choosing between "Stanford" and a "T4" school.

There are many good schools in between and in the top 364 colleges. I think a high GPA at any of those colleges, and even some not included in those, would be better than a 2.3 at a name college.

But I am not talking about a college that accepts everyone either.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
And who cares if Berkeley and UVA are state schools? They're still superior to the vast majority of private universities. They're certainly better than Syracuse, GW, and Miami, which, while certainly decent schools, are still on the same plane as Rutgers, Pitt, Penn State, OSU, etc.

And Case-Western and Rose-Hulman are better than any of those.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
And Case-Western and Rose-Hulman are better than any of those.
Overall, Case Western is halfway between them. Case's engineering and sciences are tops, but a lot of its "softer" liberal arts programs are quite dismal. Michigan and Berkeley are far better-balanced, and with better business schools to boot (and their science-related programs are no slouches either). Rose-Hulman I am not as familiar with, but given that it's a small specialty school, you can't really directly compare them anyway.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:12 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,767,416 times
Quote:
That was Berkeley, not Michigan.
Regents of the University of California v. Bakke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Michigan was a different affirmative action situation, in which the system they adopted to promote affirmative action was failing to achieve it because it assessed groups and not individuals for their contributions to campus diversity, and so was thrown out. It did not affect the admissions opportunities of non-minority students (especially since Michigan is not a competitive system).
Gratz v. Bollinger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-12-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
That was Berkeley, not Michigan.
Regents of the University of California v. Bakke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Michigan was a different affirmative action situation, in which the system they adopted to promote affirmative action was failing to achieve it because it assessed groups and not individuals for their contributions to campus diversity, and so was thrown out. It did not affect the admissions opportunities of non-minority students (especially since Michigan is not a competitive system).
Gratz v. Bollinger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You're thinking of the holistic AA schema used for Michigan's Law School (Grutter v. Bollinger), which was upheld. But the points system they used for undergraduate admissions (Gratz v. Bollinger) was struck down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities