U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 05:15 PM

9 posts, read 58,882 times
Default what is the most versatile degree?

currently working as an automotive technician. I love my job. The money is OK. But i see myself losing interest as I master this trade, and it is possible that i may not want to be in this business forever.

I've considered going back to school part time, possibly online via phoenix/strayer etc.

I have interests in finance/business/real estate/investing in stocks, foreign exchange/entreprenerial stuff but i have NO idea career wise what i would do after "moving on" from my grease monkey position. I know a degree doesn't guarantee a job, but i feel i need something else to fall back on and to get my foot in the door later on in life.

any input? thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 05:29 PM

6,908 posts, read 15,421,246 times
Looking at your interests, I would suggest a course that would lead to a degree in Business Administration with a minor in accounting. No matter what kind of career you choose, what you learn in that area will help. Knowing what and how to make a profit is a valuable thing.

It's not the most interesting field in the world, but it is a very practical one.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:27 PM

431 posts, read 1,161,331 times
Just a tip..whatever school you go to, if it's for a business degree, make sure it's from a school that is AASCB accredited. It is the gold seal for business schools and it's a big foot in the door against candidates who did not go to AACSB accredited schools.

Here is a link that lists schools that are accredited:
AACSB International

If you intend to ultimately want to get past a bachelor's, it would be in your best interest to go to a bricks and mortar school or an online program affiliated with a bricks and mortar school. If a bachelor's is your ending point, then an online school would be ok, but it depends on what you ultimately want to do with your degree. Some jobs, you wouldn't get an interview coming from an online school, whereas others it wouldn't matter so much.

Old 07-21-2007, 05:34 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,877,743 times
I would suggest Hotel Management. That's a very diverse field where you have to know a little bit of everything ( accounting, financing... )...There are a lots of schools, even "specialty" schools, but specialty schools that I found are VERY expensive. Even here in the USA.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:17 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,857,627 times
I would say Major in business with a an"emphasis" on either

a)Finance
b) Accounting
c) Healthcare (as its HUGE right now).

Old 07-22-2007, 07:43 AM

786 posts, read 7,709 times
Beware that the finance field is dominated by MBAs from top-20 B-schools. If you want versatility, though, I would put accounting up towards the top of the list. You have lots of options from there. Just bear in mind that an accounting degree without CPA certificate won't be nearly as valuable - or as versatile - as if you had the CPA certificate. So before going that route, I'd get familier with the rules for getting certified in your state... in particular the experience requirement. After that, if you still want to pursue a career in finance, you can then shoot for that MBA... and the accounting background will be very helpful in that, too.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:04 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,995,544 times
Default I vote accounting degre

I have an accounting degree and have a healthcare (insurance) background. The accounting degree has worked out very well for me, more than doubled my income. As for the CPA, only need it if you do public accounting and is state-regulated. If you think you want the CPA then I would definitely go to school in the state in which you plan to practice to be sure that you meet the regs. Personally, private accounting has been more lucrative for me and with a lot fewer hours/more flexibility.

Anyway, my vote is definitely for a business degree. I also second the suggestion for going with a bricks & mortar school or at least distance education program that is affiliated with a bricks & mortar. From what I've seen some employers that I've worked with definitely look twice at the totally online business programs.

Good luck.

Last edited by bande1102; 07-22-2007 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: trying to add the "e" to the title--key stuck

Old 07-22-2007, 08:08 AM

786 posts, read 7,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
As for the CPA, only need it if you do public accounting and is state-regulated.
Good luck.
I disagree with this. I see you have left public accounting... do you think you would have the same opportunities you have now without your CPA certificate? My feeling is, someone with the CPA certificate is going to have a tremendous advantage in competing for any given position... either with a new company or within an existing company... over someone who is not certified.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:14 PM

3,530 posts, read 8,902,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kachowc5z View Post
.............I've considered going back to school part time, possibly online via phoenix/strayer etc......any input? thanks.
Online instruction is not easier than traditional face-to-face delivery and simply because you can do some basics with internet communication doesn't mean it is a "piece of cake - how hard can it be??" That said, GO FOR IT!!!!! I would stay away from companies that advertize on television for their degree - many, if not most of the state colleges/universities have online components to their different departments, not to mention community colleges and private universities (like Harvard). My daughter has an MBA from Western Carolina U. completed in part via internet and a second Masters completed entirely in this format. Your first step is the hardest - applying! After that hurdle, it gets easier - trust me! Good luck!

Old 07-22-2007, 02:40 PM

1,773 posts, read 5,081,490 times
A degree in Business Administration with a concentration on Entrepreneurship from a good school would be a great fit for you. If you get a minor or major concentration in Finance you will have many opportunities. US News and World Reports does an annual report on undergrad and graduate business program rankings.

FYI - You probably do not want to attend anything worse than a tier 2 business school. With a Business School program you generally get what you pay for - thus be prepared to take out some loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities