Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 01:45 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times

Advertisements

Law school is a real crap shoot, especially if you don't graduate at the top of a T1 school. I know a number of attys and they can't believe how many people are going to law school and what they pay for tuition now. Students are graduating 75k-100K in debt and praying they get a job as an assistant DA making 36K a year. If you graduate, will the company you work for now put you in their contract law office? Will they pay for any of your education?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 03:53 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,373,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Law school is a real crap shoot, especially if you don't graduate at the top of a T1 school. I know a number of attys and they can't believe how many people are going to law school and what they pay for tuition now. Students are graduating 75k-100K in debt and praying they get a job as an assistant DA making 36K a year. If you graduate, will the company you work for now put you in their contract law office? Will they pay for any of your education?
I am already in contract law. I do not know if they will pay

Old 02-17-2011, 07:22 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
I don't know about that program. I am going now to Virginia TEch.

Thanks!
Just chiming in to say, LET'S GO HOKIES!

Old 02-17-2011, 08:06 PM

724 posts, read 1,685,685 times
Sounds like you just need to get into the working world.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
Sounds like you just need to get into the working world.
I have been in the working world for 11 years! LOL

Old 02-18-2011, 06:37 AM

Yeah go hookies!!!!!

Old 02-18-2011, 08:58 AM

307 posts, read 476,978 times
As a lawyer, I'd say go to law school if you: 1> WANT TO BE A LAWYER. Law school qualifies you to be a lawyer, not to do random other professions. Lawyers often do do other professions because the profession of law is overcrowded, but law school doesn't teach you these. 2> Go to a top law school. The only guarantee of getting a "good" job in law is to go to a top 15-20 school. If you can't get into these schools, just do something else.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:17 PM

8 posts, read 10,516 times
Don't listen to the Nay Sayers....If this is what you want to do then take the leap. It's better to try and fail, then to never try at all. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Old 02-24-2011, 10:43 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
I am in business law right now. Thanks! VaTech does not offer the MBA/JD option though
A MBA/JD basically lets you carve one year out of doing these programs separately. Typically, the JD program will let you do a few elective outside of the law school and count the credits to your law degree, so you'd typically take business classes that would count towards your MBA. Also, there will be law classes that are cross listed with the MBA school (i.e. tax, corporations, accounting for lawyers, securities regulation) and MBA classes cross listed for law school (mergers and acquisitions, derivatives, real estate finance).

Most law schools are totally inflexible outside of their joint program and will not let you apply prior graduate degree classes to your JD. You typically need a dean waiver to take a prospective class outside of the law school to count.

So you might want to contact a few law schools and find out their transfer credit policies for prior degrees. It may impact what you take as electives at VA Tech, i.e. maybe real estate finance instead of advanced auditing.

As for the usefulness of a JD, in law, in any area of law where business principles are very important, a MBA could be helpful (i.e. tax law, securities law, anti-trust, etc.).

As for business, a JD may be useful in highly regulated industries. In particular, in industries where the rules and regulations may have more impact on profits than general economic conditions or operations. One example I could think of is the telecommunications industry, where lawyers have gone on to be CEOs over say engineers or finance folks.

Another area of business where a law degree might be useful if litigation is used as a business strategy. There are some companies that hold lots of patents and copyrights and earn revenues by licensing them. They are constantly suing to enforce their rights.

Also, in industries where very detailed, major contracts are crucial, having a legal background can be helpful. I know a guy that worked at a bank, and his job was to evaluate credit applications. He needed to look at contracts to see how they impacted a companies cash flow or if there were any hidden red flags. Similarly, a research analyst at an investment bank might have to evaluate long term supply contracts to see if they pose problems.

However, in general, most business jobs don't really require legal skills, except for spotting issues where legal counsel needs to be consulted. So I would think long and hard whether it is worth the time and cost.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:19 AM

311 posts, read 844,035 times
i don't have much to add...but I found this video pretty funny which was emailed to me awhile back lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMvARy0lBLE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities