U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 08:06 AM

1,646 posts, read 1,241,703 times
Default I am thinking of going to law school

Once I finish my MBA. Am I insane or what? BTW I am 33 and will be 35ish by the time I finish my MBA.

How many years is law school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 08:18 AM

8,270 posts, read 5,896,318 times
Three, then usually some time for structured study to pass the bar.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:19 AM

Is not a long time.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:20 AM

bu shi

In fact you might as well go ahead and get your medical degree too.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:21 AM

1,688 posts, read 2,111,541 times
It might be worth your while to google something like "law school scam blogs"- there are a bunch of them out there that will provide you with some good "look before you leap" kind of stuff. I'm not saying not to do it, but the legal industry is taking a beating.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:23 AM

2,187 posts, read 3,520,275 times
Does your school have a JD/MBA Program? I would talk to the dean and get their take. Ultimately, you need to figure out what you really want to do with both degrees because if you don't, you could overqualify yourself for too many jobs and have a lot of debt to struggle to pay off because of that...considering you could get admitted to law school. The LSAT is not like the GMAT and many people struggle with it and the score on that admissions test is everything for most schools. (at least the ones worth going to)

Old 02-15-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Does your school have a JD/MBA Program? I would talk to the dean and get their take. Ultimately, you need to figure out what you really want to do with both degrees because if you don't, you could overqualify yourself for too many jobs and have a lot of debt to struggle to pay off because of that...considering you could get admitted to law school. The LSAT is not like the GMAT and many people struggle with it and the score on that admissions test is everything for most schools. (at least the ones worth going to)
I don't know about that program. I am going now to Virginia TEch.

Thanks!

Old 02-15-2011, 08:30 AM

The college up the street from me in the strip mall has a combined JD/MBA/MD/RPh/PhD degree, they call it the "Ultimate Excessively Academic Achievement Program" it is a one year course of study. When you finish you are kinda like Lex Luthor.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
The college up the street from me in the strip mall has a combined JD/MBA/MD/RPh/PhD degree, they call it the "Ultimate Excessively Academic Achievement Program" it is a one year course of study. When you finish you are kinda like Lex Luthor.
wow why are you so bitter? Your post is like really rude.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:37 AM

7,746 posts, read 4,273,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
Once I finish my MBA. Am I insane or what?
Yes, quite possibly you are.

Why exactly do you want to do this? What career options are you trying to uniquely position yourself for that you can't achieve with either just an MBA or a law degree? What is the realistic supply vs. the demand of these kinds of career options, and how competitive are you given your past experience and the schools you're going to? Have you factored the impact of your burgeoning school debt and delayed timeframe to income into these career options?

I did an MBA at a pretty reputable school, and I saw JD-MBA students from start to finish...my experience is that more often than not, it makes absolutely zero sense to get both degrees. At very least, it would be good for you to use your MBA skills and think very thoroughly about the likely return on this investment before you drop a large amount of money on this. Given that you haven't yet been able to resolve basic questions such as school length given the internet resources you have at your disposal, I'm figuring you haven't really done this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities