Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 09:11 PM

306 posts, read 758,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I don't disagree with the general thrust of the article and I certainly don't disagree that we have way too many people with degrees, but I do think a lot of the college grads are working these non-degree jobs simply because they want to. Sometimes a college grad tending bar is just a college grad who wants to tend bar, not a victim of a horrible economy or a higher education crisis. Or think of it this way: if every college grad started his own business, then 100 percent of college grads would be working in jobs that didn't "require" a degree, right?
No, college grads tend bar or wait tables because nothing else will TAKE them. Or go to Alaska and work in a fish canning factory, again, because nothing else will TAKE them. When you have a college degree the first thing employers demand is WORK references. On purpose. Just to weed you out. So you have to go to Top of the World, Alaska, where hopefully no one else wants to LIVE and hope beyond all hope that that places you first in the running for a **** fish-cannery job. No, wait, those are in Nome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 01:45 AM

454 posts, read 1,242,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrine Summer View Post
I didn't go to college to get a job, I went to get an education. I think if you look at only the monetary value of a degree you over looking the real purpose higher education.
but by that logic couldn't you have just gotten a library card and learn, essentially, the same thing?

I've been to college, these classes are nothing special and most are, "textbook" classes (ie. the teacher doesn't actually teach, rather just makes you read the textbook and administers tests).

Old 09-09-2011, 08:41 AM

337 posts, read 1,023,679 times
College grads always like to say that too many people are going to college, but if you ask them if their OWN kids are going to college, they'll always give you the same answer.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:19 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomgd3 View Post
College grads always like to say that too many people are going to college, but if you ask them if their OWN kids are going to college, they'll always give you the same answer.
Agreed! And that answer is always "yes".

Old 09-09-2011, 01:06 PM

961 posts, read 2,026,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
At what point in time do you become, for example, the person with sales clerk experience rather than college graduate with a BA in Communications?
lol

Communications majors get no love on here. Probably the most maligned field of study out there (along with "English" majors).

Old 09-09-2011, 01:14 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrine Summer View Post
I didn't go to college to get a job, I went to get an education. I think if you look at only the monetary value of a degree you over looking the real purpose higher education.
Tell that the millions of people who were told to believe otherwise.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:23 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Didn't have time to read the entire article but here's my 2 cents:

I think we have way too many people who didn't finish high school to be considered an "overeducated" society. I'd rather the government take care of that first before working on boosting college enrollment.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:40 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
lol

Communications majors get no love on here. Probably the most maligned field of study out there (along with "English" majors).
Well, let's face it, Communications is a pretty meaningless degree; it's some strange offshoot of English, and something that people in Journalism might have some interest in, but it's pretty much a phony degree.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:19 PM

961 posts, read 2,026,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Well, let's face it, Communications is a pretty meaningless degree; it's some strange offshoot of English, and something that people in Journalism might have some interest in, but it's pretty much a phony degree.
"Communications" or "Public Relations" are rather vague and not very deep degree.

Public Diplomacy
International Communication
Information and Communication Technology
Cross-Cultural Communication
Media Studies
etc

are rigorous and marketable though.

Admittedly, even at the graduate level, you still find people banking on "communication" which is insane (in terms of marketability).

There's a difference between "communication" and the more specific areas of expertise that I highlighted.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:03 PM

44 posts, read 116,204 times
The problem with articles like this one, or any for that fact, is their percentages is based solely on the sample pool. If you ask a group of X people (pick a number, it doesn't matter) then you will get X results. They never account for ALL the people that either weren't asked or didn't participate. Ask the next group of X people and you will likely get entirely different results.

Sure, many college grads have crappy jobs or aren't working, but I tend to believe some of that is by choice. The other part is likely their inability to take what was learned and APPLY to a useful function for themselves. Having trained/mentored numerous new college grads, I can tell you there is a wide variety in the intelligence field and self motivation from people with the same degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities