Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 07:51 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,645,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
I'd like to know the stats for people who graduated from tier one schools.
Can't say for a fact, but I doubt that any such collective data exists for all Tier 1 schools as a whole. Although, I'm sure that most if not all schools keep statistics on their own job placement success rates and my school is one of them. The particular department which I'm a part of, is averaging around 94% the last time I checked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 08:07 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,972,902 times
I don't disagree with the general thrust of the article and I certainly don't disagree that we have way too many people with degrees, but I do think a lot of the college grads are working these non-degree jobs simply because they want to. Sometimes a college grad tending bar is just a college grad who wants to tend bar, not a victim of a horrible economy or a higher education crisis. Or think of it this way: if every college grad started his own business, then 100 percent of college grads would be working in jobs that didn't "require" a degree, right?

Old 02-21-2011, 08:40 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
I have four children who are college age...one graduated, two are in college, one in military. My son is majoring in Funeral Science, it is a two year degree, he is already working at a mortuary, and doing pretty good. My other son did internships, unpaid every summer for four year, at USGS, where he is now working full time, and getting his masters paid for, my last one, is majoring in Optometry. So...for those who are not employed...were my kids just lucky? Or does going to "college" take more planning than just going to classes to get a degree as so many do...not seeing the "big" picture.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:53 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,063,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
As of 2009, baby boomers made 28% of the population. That is about 68.2 million people. Of these 68.2 million people, as of 2009, about 50.4 million were working. Obviously, as a generation, they dominate the job market. As they exit the job market, things should get better as time progresses.
It will be interesting to see what kind of an effect that has, if any. There has been talk about a fabled Baby Boomer retirement for about two decades. In the science field people talked about how old professors would retire, making way for new scientists to get assistant professor positions. If they've retired, it doesn't seem to have made much of a difference.

For underemployed and unemployed college grads, if the mass retirements ever do come, they have to hope that they won't suffer job market discrimination for having graduated into gluts and that employers won't prefer fresh new graduates who aren't "damaged goods".

Old 02-22-2011, 12:18 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
Those loans are all non-dischargeable in bankruptcy. If someone only earns a menial income they still have to pay the loans and are essentially "educated indentured servants".
You, like others who make this claim, are wrong. Student loans can be discharged in bankruptcy. Anyone who has taken out a recent student loan would know this if they actually bothered to read the paperwork (which you should have in order to pass the required "test" before your loan was granted), and, this info is also found in a dot gov website. It's just not an easy task.

On one hand it is up to the bankruptcy judge to declare it dismissed or not, not the Government. On the other, "legally", you have to prove that repaying your student loan(s) would cause some sort of financial hardship, and therefore, cannot be repaid.

Also, you have options for your monthly payments. One of which is to set the minimum monthly balance at 10% of your disposable income. Of course, this takes an effort on your part-the Government is not going to do it for you. If you are too lazy to read what you are singing, let alone to actually make this arrangement, than so be the consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I don't disagree with the general thrust of the article and I certainly don't disagree that we have way too many people with degrees, but I do think a lot of the college grads are working these non-degree jobs simply because they want to. Sometimes a college grad tending bar is just a college grad who wants to tend bar, not a victim of a horrible economy or a higher education crisis. Or think of it this way: if every college grad started his own business, then 100 percent of college grads would be working in jobs that didn't "require" a degree, right?
This solely depends on the region/city/particular bar, but, generally, bar tending is damn fine money. Like many of my co-workers, when i went through college the first time, I worked as a server in a restaurant. I made almost twice what the salaried managers made, plus I worked twenty hours less a week. I kept that job because the money was too good.

These stories of the college grad working at Starbucks are a bit awkward. They paint the picture that the barista graduated from college first, then went to Starbucks because nothing else was available. The fallacy here is that most of these degree-holding employees had the job prior to graduation, if not though-out college, and, Starbucks, like all fast-food, has a strong tendency to not hire college grads to menial positions. Anyone going from college to fast-food is entering into a managerial or other upper-level position.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:23 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,238,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My son is majoring in Funeral Science, it is a two year degree, he is already working at a mortuary, and doing pretty good.
He's pretty smart, that's a good line of work if you're the type of person who could handle it. Everyone dies someday & it would just not be feasible to send the dead over to China where someone would embalm them for 75 cents an hour, so those jobs will be very secure.

If you're not going to attend college, your best bet is to get into a union trade like an electrician, millwright, or elevator installer/repair. These jobs are extremely difficult to get into though, the local IBEW where I used to live only took about 2% of all applicants to their apprenticeship program. People nowadays like to demonize unions, but at least they offer a living wage. Journeyman electricians can make around $30 an hour. If you only have a HS diploma, it's better to try and go that route instead of working at Wal-Mart, Taco Bell, or Home Depot for minimum wage.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:37 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
How many years after graduation, and not working in your field, does the degree become worthless? I assume, for potential employers, it has an expiration date. Is that true? At what point in time do you become, for example, the person with sales clerk experience rather than college graduate with a BA in Communications?

Old 02-22-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
You, like others who make this claim, are wrong. Student loans can be discharged in bankruptcy. Anyone who has taken out a recent student loan would know this if they actually bothered to read the paperwork (which you should have in order to pass the required "test" before your loan was granted), and, this info is also found in a dot gov website. It's just not an easy task.

On one hand it is up to the bankruptcy judge to declare it dismissed or not, not the Government. On the other, "legally", you have to prove that repaying your student loan(s) would cause some sort of financial hardship, and therefore, cannot be repaid.
As a practical matter, it is almost impossible to have a judge grant a discharge of student loans in bankruptcy due to hardship. I don't think financial hardship is even a reason for discharge. You practically need to be a quadrapeligic. I've read stories about cases where bankruptcy judges refused to discharge student loans in spite of debilitating disease or physical ailments. (No, I don't have links to any; I'm not sure where to find them, but I come across them sometimes.)

Quote:
Also, you have options for your monthly payments. One of which is to set the minimum monthly balance at 10% of your disposable income. Of course, this takes an effort on your part-the Government is not going to do it for you. If you are too lazy to read what you are singing, let alone to actually make this arrangement, than so be the consequences.
This is for Income Based Repayment on federal loans only as far as I know. If you have private loans, which many people did before the amount you could borrow from the feds was increased, you're SOL in those regards.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:23 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
There unemployemnt rate is less than half the non-degreed now. That is with mnay gettign degreees that are not wanted i the market palces;so many are having no problems get a good job.
I think that's more of a function of employers having the choice between college grads willing to take anything over high school grads. It certainly doesn't indicate, to me, anyway, that college grads in general are having no problems getting a good job.

And not to be "that guy", but spell check wants to be your friend. You should consider getting to know it.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
He's pretty smart, that's a good line of work if you're the type of person who could handle it. Everyone dies someday & it would just not be feasible to send the dead over to China where someone would embalm them for 75 cents an hour, so those jobs will be very secure.
Never say never. The funeral services employment market isn't immune from greater economic forces. What would happen if people wised up and rushed into the mortuary field, flooding the market with funeral homes and embalmers?

What would happen if America became a third world nation and huge amounts of Americans were poor and couldn't afford to pay for traditional funeral services and just started cremating their dead? What if people started to do the cremation or burial work on their own, especially in rural areas? What if people were so cash strapped that they no longer cared if their relatives were buried in expensive land-limited city cemeteries and sought out less expensive, price competitive rural cemeteries or places where they could purchase plots of land inexpensively and do it themselves?

Also, isn't it possible to turn a dead body over to the city or county or state and have the government deal with it? I think they just cremate unclaimed bodies.

It sounds like it's a good field for the foreseeable future. My point is just to say that it isn't absolutely immune from greater economic trends (almost nothing is). In other words, the market for mortuary services doesn't exist in a vacuum. If Americans become poor, they aren't going to be able to pay what they used to pay for funeral services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities