U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-30-2012, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 6,695 times
i have failed college algebra three times even after working with a tutor and accomodations. i want to pursue a degree but i cannot because of this problem, any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 09:13 AM

14,455 posts, read 12,249,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angeliis View Post
i have failed college algebra three times even after working with a tutor and accomodations. i want to pursue a degree but i cannot because of this problem, any suggestions?

You need to figure out exactly what it is you don't understand on each chapter and work on it over and over. Also, I gotta say.. get a new tutor lol

Old 03-30-2012, 09:35 AM

1,957 posts, read 2,237,827 times
im confused...are we talking about linear algebra here or the algebra you're supposed to take in like middle school? bc ive never seen algebra as a requisite for a degree

Old 03-30-2012, 10:09 AM

5,367 posts, read 6,232,257 times
Have you tried a community college? They are typically not as intense.

However, do be sure to check your college requirements. When I went to college, if you flunked a course, you could not re-take it for credit at a community college, or any other college.You then had to re-take it at that university. Well, I squeaked by with a 1.5/4.0. I wanted to retake it for a better grade---both grades would stand, but it would help my overall average.

I did talk to the counseling office, they advised me to let it alone. They had seen many students in my position, who had a bad grade in algebra, re-took it, failed the course, and the last grade stands, so they were stuck with taking it again

If your college will allow it, perhaps you could take it online. Try TTUISD = Texas Tech University Independent School District, they have complete cirriculmsn, or just one course. Its all at your own pace, online, I used it to homeschool my son past some hurdles.

Another thought---obviously, you are weak in math. whatever the reason, you just don't have a firm footing, and probably by now have a phobia of it. Have you considered a pre-algebra, remedial type course? My first degree was liberal arts, I barely squeaked by in algebra. Then, I decided to go back for another degree. Because my math grade was so low---1.5, I had to retake it. they advised me to take their remedial course first, even though it did not count for credit. Well, I did, and it was the best thing I ever did!Prior to that, I felt like I was trying to put together a puzzle while missing pieces. that remedial course went back and filled in the gaps. BTW, I went on to get a second degree in accounting!

Don't look for short cuts, or quick fixes. If you haven't already, try talking to an academic counselor. also, talk to a counselor at a community college. they should be able to advise you how much remedial math you need.

Fear of math is such a deciding factor in many college students' choice of major, or if they even stay in college. Remember, all you need is to pass, like I did, a 1.5. Good Luck!

Old 03-30-2012, 10:12 AM

5,367 posts, read 6,232,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I passed it by trying to search for and grasp the fundamental concepts, and not just memorizing the formulas.

Exactly!

Understand what you are doing, and then you won't get it all mixed up!

Old 03-30-2012, 10:26 AM

15,820 posts, read 30,869,110 times
I bi-passed it. I took logic (philosophy course). Liked it and did well so I took another, then another. Eventually, the Philosophy 580 "logic of possibibility and probability" was also Calculus 605 or something like that. I discovered that I had met my math requriements. Hooray.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:23 PM

113 posts, read 58,037 times
Math major here.

I can tell you that to be even decent at math requires lots of practice and lots of work. Unlike most other subjects, you cannot just memorize a little here and there and expect to do well. Despite what anyone tells you, how well you do in math is a function of how well you can follow instructions, and how hard you are willing to work to learn to master and apply those instructions to a variety of similar problems. If you don't force yourself to master the algorithms presented to you, and don't put in the time applying what you've learned to countless problems and learning from mistakes, you'll get bad grades and end up finding excuses (math is hard, bad high school education system, etc).

Math requires much more investment than other subjects (excluding subjects that utilize Math as the tool it is, (I.E. Electrical Engineering). To progress in Math requires one masters the previous step; you cannot do Algebra without a thorough understanding of basic Arithmetic; you cannot do Calculus without a thorough understanding of Algebra; you cannot do Differential Equations without a decent understanding of Calculus, etc. If you aren't willing to go above and beyond, you will not do well. There are no shortcuts; grab a textbook and grind, or fall behind.

If that seems tough, or too black and white, then, well, that's Math for you.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:36 PM

3,322 posts, read 3,134,156 times
I know this web site is pretty good for getting help with a ton of subjects, maybe this one plus Kahn will help you out!

HippoCampus - Homework and Study Help - Free help with your algebra, biology, environmental science, American government, US history, physics and religion homework

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I sat next to an Asian and cheated. There's no other way I could have gotten through any higher level math.
Totally reminds me of this clip!

Family Guy - Cmon , Do Math - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
Yes, but many colleges have a ridiculous list of core classes and if you cannot pass them all you cannot continue on to your major. I understand his frustration.
Yup, most degrees I know of you have to have Algebra.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:58 PM

70 posts, read 96,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
im confused...are we talking about linear algebra here or the algebra you're supposed to take in like middle school? bc ive never seen algebra as a requisite for a degree
It's a pre-requisite to get into a math course that transfers.

I go to community college and was placed in a remedial math course when I took the placement test for math. I have to work my way up to a math class that will transfer to a 4 year university. I went from Pre-Algebra to Elementary Algebra, and currently I'm taking Intermediate Algebra. It doesn't transfer, but it's the last math class to take before you move on to one that does. That would be Statistics, that's the one that actually counts towards my major.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:02 PM

1,957 posts, read 2,237,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer22 View Post
It's a pre-requisite to get into a math course that transfers.

I go to community college and was placed in a remedial math course when I took the placement test for math. I have to work my way up to a math class that will transfer to a 4 year university. I went from Pre-Algebra to Elementary Algebra, and currently I'm taking Intermediate Algebra. It doesn't transfer, but it's the last math class to take before you move on to one that does. That would be Statistics, that's the one that actually counts towards my major.
dont you have to take that to graduate high school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities