Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 08:01 PM

61 posts, read 66,456 times

Advertisements

I'm looking online and not finding any list of various community colleges ranked for tuition.
In state or otherwise. I see plenty for UNIVERSITIES. And various rankings and rating
for private and public 4 year institutions...But nothing for the lowly community college.

I hope the wise and most merciful members of this site can help me.
I searched these forums for 'cheapest community colleges' and 'budget community colleges'....nothing came back.

So....anyone out there sitting on a list you'd like to share?
T.I.A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 09:16 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
I think the reason most people don't look out of their area for CC's is because the vast majority of people attend their local community college and live at home. Here's something that may help. Community College Finder

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:53 PM

61 posts, read 66,456 times
Thanks, I guess I can post my query there.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:21 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Community college tuition is for those who live IN the community. Ie, where I live, I can only attend my county's community college and would have to pay extra for a neighboring county's community college.

That's why you're not finding any national data. All community colleges offer the same basic courses and instruction doesn't really vary from one to the next. People go because they're cheap and close to home.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:26 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
It is easy enough to google the community collleges in your state. My local CC is very good and very cheap, however, unless you currently live in Ohio you are going to pay out of state tuition, which doesn't make it such a bargain anymore.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:09 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,944,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
...and would have to pay extra for a neighboring county's community college.
It could still be worth it though...I know when I was looking to make up a class, it was actually slightly cheaper to pay out of state tuition at the CC where I grew up in California than it was to pay in state tuition at the CC where I live now in Virginia. Since it was a purely online class, it didn't matter where I physically was.

A few years ago when I was looking there was a CC in New Mexico offering dirt cheap tuition (even for out of staters). I think it was like $30/credit or something insane. The problem is the courses they offered were very limited. That said, it pays to do the research.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:27 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
A few years ago when I was looking there was a CC in New Mexico offering dirt cheap tuition (even for out of staters). I think it was like $30/credit or something insane. The problem is the courses they offered were very limited. That said, it pays to do the research.
I'm pretty sure CA is cheaper than that. $26 per unit I think. Of course there are tons of "junk fees" and you have to be a resident. ::sigh:: I can remember not that long ago when it was only $11 per unit. I got my AA degree at that time.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:17 AM

40 posts, read 104,721 times
I don't think CA's CC's tuition is 'dirt cheap' for out of state students.
The school you are probably thinking of is Clovis Community College.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:10 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Community college tuition is for those who live IN the community. Ie, where I live, I can only attend my county's community college and would have to pay extra for a neighboring county's community college.

That's why you're not finding any national data. All community colleges offer the same basic courses and instruction doesn't really vary from one to the next. People go because they're cheap and close to home.
Unless a student is trying to transfer to a competitive university that have stronger transfer rates at a non-local community college. For example, the UC system in California (including UCLA) often give priority consideration to California Community College students so I can see why an out of state student would come out here to attend a community college if they are trying to gain admission to UCLA or UC Berkeley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities