Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 05:50 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Not all Bachelors degrees are created equal. Anyone who wants to experience a tough program should enroll at MIT and attempt a degree in chemical engineering. The MIT BS in ChE is extremely valuable, and pretty much guarantees a salary well into six figures until retirement. At the other extreme would be something like a BA in a field ending in "studies" from a fourth-tier local college, which may not convey any advantage at all over a high school diploma. The average difference in ability of these two kinds of students probably approaches six standard deviations, yet both graduate nominally with a Bachelor's degree.
You'd be surprised at how many people graduate with Chemical Engineering, Computer Science etc. degrees from the TOP schools and want absolutely nothing to do with even one day of work in that field.

The fact that it is tough often means it sucks balls. I could use real life examples, but believe me, it is true...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Amazing this thread is still going when the answer is very simple.
Even if someone had told me that I'd be making the same salary without a bachelors degree as with one (which could have been entirely true in my case), I'd still have gotten one.

It's just one of those things in life that'd be eating me up every day of life.

Damn, why did I never get my degree?

Unless I was a Daniel Snyder type billionaire. Then I could probably look past that.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:55 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
great OP. I am not sure it's 100% one for one, but the depreciation of a college degree is just about equal to that of a new car and a lot more expensive.
Really??

Compare the lifetime earnings of a college grad vs a high school grad....

Compare the probability of getting a job period in this economy for a college grad vs a high school grad...

Compare the current unemployment rate for college grads vs high school grads...

Compare the available high paying professions available to a college grad vs a high school grad...

When you have done all that, get back to us about "depreciation" and the "one for one" ratio....

Old 09-13-2011, 06:10 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
great OP. I am not sure it's 100% one for one, but the depreciation of a college degree is just about equal to that of a new car and a lot more expensive.
and a HS diploma is appreciating..............

Old 09-13-2011, 06:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
and a HS diploma is appreciating..............
GED is definitely appreciating. You gota be able to read and write to get one. Not so for a high school diploma. Average high school diploma toting welfare recipient in S. CA, on the dole, is reading and doing math at 6th grade level. (CASAS exam now banned , thanks to NAACP and ACLU litigation.) You gota be functioning at 9th grade level to get a job, and that is, even in a good economy. As to the posts on the thread tooting the great value of an advance college degree, they need to look at the concept of supply and demand.
A low cost trade credential is a lot cheaper and, even in a rotten economy, a debt free position and a trade skill, is a better position. Bad TRW's caused by getting behind on a mega huge college debt, is keeping a lota people from getting a job.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:14 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
GED is definitely appreciating. You gota be able to read and write to get one. Not so for a high school diploma. Average high school diploma toting welfare recipient in S. CA, on the dole, is reading and doing math at 6th grade level. (CASAS exam now banned , thanks to NAACP and ACLU litigation.) You gota be functioning at 9th grade level to get a job, and that is, even in a good economy. As to the posts on the thread tooting the great value of an advance college degree, they need to look at the concept of supply and demand.
A low cost trade credential is a lot cheaper and, even in a rotten economy, a debt free position and a trade skill, is a better position. Bad TRW's caused by getting behind on a mega huge college debt, is keeping a lota people from getting a job.
I love the trade talk like people are just throwing jobs at you if you are a carpenter or mechanic.

Like many on here you exaggerate how much debt the average college student has.

Last edited by Gatornation; 09-13-2011 at 07:45 PM..

Old 09-13-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I love the trade talk like people are just throwing jobs at you if you are a carpenter or mechanic.

Like many on here you exaggerate how much debt that average college student has.
It's true. I work with a bunch of post grads, who with 1 to 2 years of living with their parents will basically be debt free.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:34 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:

Like many on here you exaggerate how much debt the average college student has.
i personally know people with 180K in non dischargable student loans. They are currently working pte $15 bucks an hour no benefits.
As to exaggerations, did you say they are just guna move in with mom and dad for 1 to 2 years max.and pay off all their student loans???? LOL!!!!
Tell that one to the average perma parent for a good laugh!!!.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:52 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
i personally know people with 180K in non dischargable student loans. They are currently working pte $15 bucks an hour no benefits.
As to exaggerations, did you say they are just guna move in with mom and dad for 1 to 2 years max.and pay off all their student loans???? LOL!!!!
Tell that one to the average perma parent for a good laugh!!!.
Speaking of exaggerations...

"Last year, graduates who took out loans left college with an average of $24,000 in debt."

"Susan Dynarski, a professor of education and public policy at the University of Michigan, said student debt could generally be seen as a sensible investment in a lifetime of higher earnings. “When you think about what’s good debt and what’s bad debt, student loans fall into the realm of good debt, like mortgages,” Professor Dynarski said. “It’s an investment that pays off over the whole life cycle.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/12/ed...12college.html

LOL at 180K

Old 09-13-2011, 09:59 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Clearly not the norm, considering I don't know of anyone who carries that kind of student loan debt. Unless maybe you went to law school or medical school - at PRIVATE schools the whole way - and then your potential earnings will soon take care of it. Most people know better than to take out tons of student loans, when you can get a good portion paid through federal grants and/or scholarships (which don't need to be repaid)... Pell Grants, for example, are open to anyone and provide enough for a non-private school. Then, of course, you forget that many of us didn't need aid/loans at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities