Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 08:40 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
I don't care what degree whether it is two year or four year a college degree is a college degree.You don't like a two year degree that is your problem .If you have a 2 year stand up and feel proud you have something a lot of americans don't.
There's nothing wrong with a 2-year degree in general. But an AA or AS is nothing to celebrate. That would be like a football player dancing when they reach the 50 yard line. Finish up, then be proud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 04:50 AM

912 posts, read 1,331,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There's nothing wrong with a 2-year degree in general. But an AA or AS is nothing to celebrate. That would be like a football player dancing when they reach the 50 yard line. Finish up, then be proud.
Then that is your problem .To me an AA or AS is something to celebrate I am talking about a football and running I could n't give a rats behind about football .Who the heck are you to tell me it is not an accomplishment ? Then tell me it is .If that's all the education the person wants then that's all.Not even will need a bachelor's degree for their caree.Another when I see a thread on college degree I think about all degrees not just a selected few .I honestly wonder how an employeer is going to tell all these BAs's apart same job qualifications,same education equals drowned out market and lower pay.

Last edited by edwardianlady; 10-21-2011 at 05:00 AM..

Old 10-21-2011, 07:38 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
Then that is your problem .To me an AA or AS is something to celebrate I am talking about a football and running I could n't give a rats behind about football .Who the heck are you to tell me it is not an accomplishment ? Then tell me it is .If that's all the education the person wants then that's all.Not even will need a bachelor's degree for their caree.Another when I see a thread on college degree I think about all degrees not just a selected few .I honestly wonder how an employeer is going to tell all these BAs's apart same job qualifications,same education equals drowned out market and lower pay.
They'll tell them apart very easily over someone who only has an AA. The point of all of this is that most people don't view an AA as a "college degree". If you say that phrase most think you have a BA.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:04 AM

39 posts, read 135,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
They'll tell them apart very easily over someone who only has an AA. The point of all of this is that most people don't view an AA as a "college degree". If you say that phrase most think you have a BA.
Actually many with a BS look down on a BA but some like myself don't. My first degree was a AAS and I still feel that an AA, AS and AAS are great degrees for someone that wants to commit less time and money for an education.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan78 View Post
Actually many with a BS look down on a BA but some like myself don't. My first degree was a AAS and I still feel that an AA, AS and AAS are great degrees for someone that wants to commit less time and money for an education.
I never said there was anything wrong with it. People simply don't view it as a "college degree" in general. If you go around telling people you have a "college degree" they will assume it's a four year degree. If I had an AA I'd call it that and not try and associate it with a higher degree.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:38 AM

155 posts, read 291,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
A 2-year Associate degree is a great accomplishment and cause for celebration! Many fools go onto to get a Bachelors degree in some liberal arts program only to rack up more student debt and land in a job in some other field not related to their degree.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:23 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,957,413 times
Default sure you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintgum84 View Post
Yes. I am half way through a PhD programme. I would never higher anyone with less then a Masters.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katet View Post
A 2-year Associate degree is a great accomplishment and cause for celebration! Many fools go onto to get a Bachelors degree in some liberal arts program only to rack up more student debt and land in a job in some other field not related to their degree.
Those for-profits get you with their high tuition and poor results with a job after graduation.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:50 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,957,413 times
Default But they do land a job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katet View Post
I agree that a 2 year Associate Degree is an accomplishment. It can be enough "college education" for some, and in turn help them into their chosen profession.

But someone with a 4 yr. degree is considered a "College Grad".
Most job applications ask for the highest level of education attained. If some one with an AA says that they are a college graduate--they can be fired for fraud.

New Graduates May Find Rewarding Work Outside Their Majors | OEDb

Employers are often willing to hire college grads without a degree in the field because getting the degree itself takes a good deal of determination and perseverance in the first place.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:51 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Then that is your problem .To me an AA or AS is something to celebrate I am talking about a football and running I could n't give a rats behind about football .
We have a misunderstanding. I used the football analogy to demonstrate that an AA or AS is halfway there. You haven't finished yet.
Quote:
Who the heck are you to tell me it is not an accomplishment ? Then tell me it is .If that's all the education the person wants then that's all.Not even will need a bachelor's degree for their caree.
I agree with you. But when someone goes for an AA or AS, they are going for degrees that are preparation for bachelors degrees. AA and AS are continuing education degrees. Stopping after them is stopping half way. If you want just two years of college, with no intention to go on, then you should get a 2-year terminal degree. Such as an AAS and then celebrate the completion of your college education. This kind of degree is intended to prepare you for a career without having the intent to move onto further education.
Quote:
Another when I see a thread on college degree I think about all degrees not just a selected few .I honestly wonder how an employeer is going to tell all these BAs's apart same job qualifications,same education equals drowned out market and lower pay.
I never said that 2-year degrees are not college degrees. The easiest way to tell bachelors degrees apart is by school. If you went to a lower tier school vs a higher tier school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities