U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2011, 03:19 PM

50 posts, read 161,098 times

Advertisements

Ok, a little bit about me..i have an associates in business administration and a bachelors in history.

Now the problem..After graduating from college i thought that i wanted to be a spanish teacher(i had a lot of credits on graduating). I taught for a year as a teacher while working to get my certification. The job in itself was cool but i was worried because I always wondered what would happen if for some reason i was fired or decided that teaching was just not for me. Pay was pretty decent, 36,500 when i started and now its up to 44,000. I know the advantages and dis advantages of working as a teacher, but where i am lost is

1. Im not interested in working in a "museum", but yet any job that has managerial ability, I once worked at a non profit but i ended up leaving since we did not agree eye to eye..but i was the manager and i managed the day to day operations of the company and i had 25 people under me which included service workers administration staff and nurses. This is an ideal job and one that required just a bachelors degree

2. Will i be able to get any other jobs with just a degree in history or am i stuck in teaching?

3. I thought about going back to school for business even though i was told that one could get a job and it wasnt really important as to what your major was(as long as its not a technical field) Should i go for the bachelors in business or is my bachelors in history good enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 05:22 PM

11,500 posts, read 20,756,910 times
Can you try to do some paid or unpaid business internships to decide if you DO really want to go that route? It seems you have a track record of leaving jobs for fairly controversial reasons (not seeing eye-to-eye with non-profit management, fear of being fired while teaching, etc) and while I think you **can** get a business job with a history BA (I did!), I think your track record is kind of scary to companies.

It would be nice if you could get your foot in the door as an intern or temp so that you & the company(s) can make a good decision about your prospects.

I don't think you need a second BA, you need to "beef up" your resume with more current and relevant business industry experience.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:36 PM

50 posts, read 161,098 times
Thanks, I think that would be a great idea to intern..however i live in a small town..and its not doable at the moment...we just have refineries and retail stores and jails..yeah...

As for leaving my job..yes i left because of not seeing eye to eye..as for me teaching, i finished the year out and since im not certified then you are automatically let go..

I just want to make sure that i wont be pigeon holed or "stuck" into teaching if lets say 5 years down the road, i decide to pursue another line of work. Since you are a history major as well, can you tell me what job you procured and how you went about getting it?

Old 02-27-2011, 05:57 PM

9,178 posts, read 15,190,921 times
A lot of companies require their manager trainees to have a four year degree and the major doesn't matter, it is the degree that counts.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:44 PM

11,500 posts, read 20,756,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
A lot of companies require their manager trainees to have a four year degree and the major doesn't matter, it is the degree that counts.
Yes, this is exactly how my industry is. I am a Senior Buyer for a major retailer. I help recruit for our corporate training program and we look for 2 things above all else- 1) demonstrated leadership ability via campus organizations or something outside of work like Junior League and 2) a passion for retail, someone with work or internship experience and someone who keeps up with industry news and trends. All they need to have is a 4-year degree and a decent (3.0-ish) GPA- doesn't matter if it's in history or finance or geology or journalism. The fact that they are leaders and are motivated is a better indicator of future success than a certain degree.

Many management programs at large retail and consumer products companies, be it Frito Lay or Target or Coca Cola or Black & Decker, will have similar criteria (just need a 4-year degree with decent GPA froma decent college).

Management consulting companies like Ernst & Young, Bain & Co, Deloitte, etc also hire across all majors since you will be working across manycompanies and industries- diversity of backgrounds is the key! There are also niche consulting companies who focus on just one area, like automotive or media or non-profit.

There are many career paths a history major can take besides teaching. The only paths eliminated are those which require technical skills, like being an engineer or an accountant or a nurse/dr or computer programmer. For those, you would need additional schooling.

But for most management type jobs, your personality and leadership philosophy/ style is going to be the most important "hurdle" to getting a job as you need to find a company whose style "meshes"'with yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities