Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 06:14 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
I pick up the newspaper and check the Classifieds every Sunday. So far what I see is that the higher paying jobs require a degree. I am not talking about trades like electrician, plumber, or carpenter or some other high risk jobs that pay high wages in some areas to atract people. I am talking about professional jobs that require degrees and from what I see the higher the degree the higher the pay.

With that in mind I believe there is validity on those stats. Maybe skewed to some degree as part of advertising though, take care.

You mean skilled jobs that someone's going to do that doesn't want to ask "DO you want fries with that?"

LOL!

Those numbers are unrealistic, and there have been many articles disproving it.

Hell, those numbers are even HIGHER than the MOST optimistic claims I've seen prior. (Except for the bit about the BS degree not worth that much compared to a PHD)
-THat's Plain High School Diploma!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 04:22 AM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
I pick up the newspaper and check the Classifieds every Sunday. So far what I see is that the higher paying jobs require a degree. I am not talking about trades like electrician, plumber, or carpenter or some other high risk jobs that pay high wages in some areas to atract people. I am talking about professional jobs that require degrees and from what I see the higher the degree the higher the pay.

With that in mind I believe there is validity on those stats. Maybe skewed to some degree as part of advertising though, take care.
But what if you took the money you would have spent on college to regularly invest in stocks and bonds through a mutual fund like T. Rowe Price Capital Appreciation would do the trick (PRWCX). T. Rowe Price - Corporate Home. This fund has returned 8.6% annualized over the last decade and over 10% annualized for the last 15 years, with less volatility than the stock market as a whole. It's tough to know if you can consistently get more than 8%, so it's better to assume 8% or less for your rate of return.

If one invested the $80.000 (assuming $20,000/year for 4 years) into a fund getting 8%, and never adding another dime, you would have $2,191,447.76 at the end of 40 years.

But you could get lucky, the fund I mentioned has achieved over 11% over 25 years and if you got that you would have $1,009,123.17 at the end of 20 years and
$8,021,549.83 at the end of 40 years.

If you go to college with the idea you are only going for higher earnings you're in my opinion you're a blubbering idiot. Nobody should go to college simply for the money it's a stupid idea for stupid people.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:19 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
But what if you took the money you would have spent on college to regularly invest in stocks and bonds through a mutual fund like T. Rowe Price Capital Appreciation would do the trick (PRWCX). T. Rowe Price - Corporate Home. This fund has returned 8.6% annualized over the last decade and over 10% annualized for the last 15 years, with less volatility than the stock market as a whole. It's tough to know if you can consistently get more than 8%, so it's better to assume 8% or less for your rate of return.

If one invested the $80.000 (assuming $20,000/year for 4 years) into a fund getting 8%, and never adding another dime, you would have $2,191,447.76 at the end of 40 years.

But you could get lucky, the fund I mentioned has achieved over 11% over 25 years and if you got that you would have $1,009,123.17 at the end of 20 years and

If you go to college with the idea you are only going for higher earnings you're in my opinion you're a blubbering idiot. Nobody should go to college simply for the money it's a stupid idea for stupid people.
The problem is that you can go to many top public schools for a lot less than 80k. By not going to college you are likely locking yourself into manual labor.

The latest studies show career earnings with a degree at over a million more. If you want to use your example invest that difference each year and you'll have a lot more money than your examples.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:06 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post

"Masters degree holders make 2.1 million dollars more than those with just bachelor's degrees."

"Masters degree holders make 2.4 million dollars more than those with just a high school diploma."
Spread that amount over 40 years and you have $52,500/yr. Is that believable? (I've no idea if it's true.)

Ah! But there's a loophole: they didn't say how many "masters degree holders." So it could be: "Ten masters degree holders make 2.1 million dollars more than ten of those with just bachelor's degrees." That brings the difference to $5,250/yr.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:21 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Spread that amount over 40 years and you have $52,500/yr. Is that believable? (I've no idea if it's true.)

Ah! But there's a loophole: they didn't say how many "masters degree holders." So it could be: "Ten masters degree holders make 2.1 million dollars more than ten of those with just bachelor's degrees." That brings the difference to $5,250/yr.
It was on average not cumulative and the link was to the US census. There methods were in the appendices.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:31 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
The problem is that you can go to many top public schools for a lot less than 80k. By not going to college you are likely locking yourself into manual labor.
Don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting going to school is a bad idea (it isn't) but going solely for the dollars is not.

I think $80k is light when you consider all the costs associated with attending 4 years of college.

The cost of tuition is one of the smaller costs.

There is room, food to eat, books, other expenses and spending money. Then if you really want the costs how much income is lost buy going to school and not working that minimum wage job working 40 hours/week? When you consider the total cost I think I am way light on the $80k for nearly any four year college even if you live at home.

The point I was trying to make is any 18 year old in this country can be a millionaire by the time he is 60 and if money was the only thing that mattered the best/surest route would be to invest the college fund.

But there is more to life than just money. You could invest the money, add $500/month to the account while being a garbage man in New York City and retire at 55 with $5 million dollars but I'd pass on that. I would rather end up with half a million having to work until 66 doing what I like doing.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:54 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:

While I agree with your assessment here, it is based on three assumptions:

1. The stock market will remain stable, or at least continue to grow. The example you gave seems to have remained consistent, but shiv happens. A friend's mom lost $300K in 2009 alone (out of $700K total).

2. That the investor has the patience to wait 20 years. Realistically, most people will cash out long before then.

3. That students or their parents have the $80K up front to invest. Investing a few dollars here and there is pointless and a waste of time. If you don't have a large chunk to throw down initially your returns are going to be small, and anyone who has an extra $80K laying around that they can risk investing is more-than-likely not in need of the "benefits" a college degree can bring.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:03 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
It was on average not cumulative and the link was to the US census. There methods were in the appendices.
I was playing, and I was going by the original post, which said there was no reference.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:51 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
You mean skilled jobs that someone's going to do that doesn't want to ask "DO you want fries with that?"

LOL!

Those numbers are unrealistic, and there have been many articles disproving it.

Hell, those numbers are even HIGHER than the MOST optimistic claims I've seen prior. (Except for the bit about the BS degree not worth that much compared to a PHD)
-THat's Plain High School Diploma!
The ones I meant are mostly trades. And they CAN pay pretty good wages. Many people do not want to take some of those jobs in areas where the risk is high.

There are some trades and positions in let us say Afganistan or Irak. You can get a very good check in a year.

The same in the U.S. Some high risks jobs do not require a degree, just experience and willingness to risk. I am not saying they are in the majority but they do exist out there, take care.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:58 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,413 times
Quote:

But you could get lucky, the fund I mentioned has achieved over 11% over 25 years and if you got that you would have $1,009,123.17 at the end of 20 years and $8,021,549.83 at the end of 40 years.

In my opinion you proved my point. If you invest in the market you are TAKING A RISK, correct?

Many high risk decisions can pay great or nothing. Your money can disappear in a split second but your diploma can stay with you forever.

In the overall scheme of things how many people do invest in the market?

Also, many people do have comfortable lives after they got an education with a degree. It seems to me you miss the overall picture. Overall, people are in higher income bracket when they have a degree of some sort. Now, if you break it down by field some fields do not fare as well as others. Some people like to play it safe by getting a degree and get higher chances and income, other do not by taking risks and do very well, that is great also. But to say what you seem to say as if degrees are not worth much I do not share your view, take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities