Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 02:33 PM

867 posts, read 2,976,520 times

Advertisements

I attend a lower-tier state university in East Texas and on flat-screens in at least two academic buildings on campus, the Graduate Studies program has been making advertisements targeting undergraduates.

They cite two statistics on one slide. Totally not making this up. I should take a picture of it next time I come across it.

"Masters degree holders make 2.1 million dollars more than those with just bachelor's degrees."

"Masters degree holders make 2.4 million dollars more than those with just a high school diploma."

I should also note on the screen they provide no source for that statistic. (I thought you're supposed to cite where you find data/facts).

As a college student who very intensely follows the issue of higher education in America via this forum and throughout the net, these statistics certainly look fishy as h3ll to me.

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 03:12 PM

185 posts, read 349,893 times
Well, there isn't much of a difference between having a bachelor's degree or high school diploma!

Even if it's true, there's probably a catch, like a masters costing more money or a lower graduating rate for masters courses than in a bachelor's course.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:14 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
I found this:

How Much Is That College Degree Really Worth? - US News and World Report

Old 03-03-2011, 08:50 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
I attend a lower-tier state university in East Texas and on flat-screens in at least two academic buildings on campus, the Graduate Studies program has been making advertisements targeting undergraduates.

They cite two statistics on one slide. Totally not making this up. I should take a picture of it next time I come across it.

"Masters degree holders make 2.1 million dollars more than those with just bachelor's degrees."

"Masters degree holders make 2.4 million dollars more than those with just a high school diploma."

I should also note on the screen they provide no source for that statistic. (I thought you're supposed to cite where you find data/facts).

As a college student who very intensely follows the issue of higher education in America via this forum and throughout the net, these statistics certainly look fishy as h3ll to me.

What are your thoughts?
I pick up the newspaper and check the Classifieds every Sunday. So far what I see is that the higher paying jobs require a degree. I am not talking about trades like electrician, plumber, or carpenter or some other high risk jobs that pay high wages in some areas to atract people. I am talking about professional jobs that require degrees and from what I see the higher the degree the higher the pay.

With that in mind I believe there is validity on those stats. Maybe skewed to some degree as part of advertising though, take care.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:28 PM

I should also note that I'm 26 (non-traditional student), Asian-American, grew up upper-middle class (mom is an RN, dad is a researcher for a well-known Houston area oil services co., holds a PhD), from a Houston, TX suburb but in spite of that served as an enlisted member in the US military. (3 tours in Iraq, been around the block) So even though I grew up upper-middle class/in a pro-college environment, I'm very pro-working class/blue-collar and have my own skepticism towards to pro-college folks. At least particularly those who tout college for financial gain.

My dad, who knows the college game, (has a PhD in CS) is of the view that unless it's a degree in a viable field (engineering, medicine, & some science) college is garbage and questions that statistic on the grounds that everyone has their own college/post-college experience. A Master's in CJ isn't the same as a BS in EE. He also works in a lucrative American industry that has very blue-collar origins (oil, "Roughnecks") so that has a lot to do with it as well.

I'm not afraid to admit that I'm primarily going to college for 1. the social aspect. 2. to please the folks. (But I'm not going into debt for my degree and thankfully live in a relatively low cost of living part of the US. Not living in Santa Barbara or NY helps, too.)

With that said, I already have my own well-developed opinion, -- the "statistic" is pretty much BS -- I just want to see what others think.

Last edited by Alphalogica; 03-03-2011 at 04:49 PM..

Old 03-03-2011, 07:30 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
I should also note that I'm 26 (non-traditional student), Asian-American, grew up upper-middle class (mom is an RN, dad is a researcher for a well-known Houston area oil services co., holds a PhD), from a Houston, TX suburb but in spite of that served as an enlisted member in the US military. (3 tours in Iraq, been around the block) So even though I grew up upper-middle class/in a pro-college environment, I'm very pro-working class/blue-collar and have my own skepticism towards to pro-college folks. At least particularly those who tout college for financial gain.

My dad, who knows the college game, (has a PhD in CS) is of the view that unless it's a degree in a viable field (engineering, medicine, & some science) college is garbage and questions that statistic on the grounds that everyone has their own college/post-college experience. A Master's in CJ isn't the same as a BS in EE. He also works in a lucrative American industry that has very blue-collar origins (oil, "Roughnecks") so that has a lot to do with it as well.

I'm not afraid to admit that I'm primarily going to college for 1. the social aspect. 2. to please the folks. (But I'm not going into debt for my degree and thankfully live in a relatively low cost of living part of the US. Not living in Santa Barbara or NY helps, too.)

With that said, I already have my own well-developed opinion, -- the "statistic" is pretty much BS -- I just want to see what others think.
You are welcome to any opinion you like but statistics by their nature are not BS in and of themselves but rather how they are presented. For example, I suspect you are misreading the adverts, since according the the us census, a masters will earn you 2.5 mill over the course of your lifetime cumulative NOT 2.5 mil more than a bachelors. As a matter of fact a masters will average you a bit less than 1/2 a mil more over the course of your life time than a bachelors.

http://www.census.gov/prod/2002pubs/p23-210.pdf

You can't really argue it as it is a statistical fact.

On the other hand, who cares? 500k over 35 years is not a whole lot more money if you are not interested in the education for its own sake.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You are welcome to any opinion you like but statistics by their nature are not BS in and of themselves but rather how they are presented. For example, I suspect you are misreading the adverts, since according the the us census, a masters will earn you 2.5 mill over the course of your lifetime cumulative NOT 2.5 mil more than a bachelors. As a matter of fact a masters will average you a bit less than 1/2 a mil more over the course of your life time than a bachelors.

http://www.census.gov/prod/2002pubs/p23-210.pdf

You can't really argue it as it is a statistical fact.

On the other hand, who cares? 500k over 35 years is not a whole lot more money if you are not interested in the education for its own sake.
Well, I make money on the stock market without a degree and are doing better than most, I'd say 80% of people I know from HS with a degree. (AND I went to an upper middle class suburban High school that is nationally ranked by USNWR) It's awesome when people make assuptions about you over the Internet.

Started working at age 18, saved, saved, saved (from 3 Iraq tours), avoided debt (unlike most college students) made kick ass investments and continuing to this day worked wonders.

Last edited by Alphalogica; 03-03-2011 at 08:41 PM..

Old 03-04-2011, 06:15 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Well, I make money on the stock market without a degree and are doing better than most, I'd say 80% of people I know from HS with a degree. (AND I went to an upper middle class suburban High school that is nationally ranked by USNWR) It's awesome when people make assuptions about you over the Internet.

Started working at age 18, saved, saved, saved (from 3 Iraq tours), avoided debt (unlike most college students) made kick ass investments and continuing to this day worked wonders.
One of the things I learned with my worthless master's degree is the concept of an overconfidence bias.

Look it up.

Did you know that when polled, 90% of people say they are above average drivers too? Forgive me if I don't believe you when you say you are doing better than 80% of people.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:19 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:

Your individual success has little to do with what the average person who only went to HS has accomplished in regards to career/income. There are outliers in anything.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
One of the things I learned with my worthless master's degree is the concept of an overconfidence bias.

Look it up.

Did you know that when polled, 90% of people say they are above average drivers too? Forgive me if I don't believe you when you say you are doing better than 80% of people.
Not an overconfidence bias. Honest belief, friend.

FWIW, I do know what an overconfidence bias is and can be aptly applied to those with college degrees as a degree can give them overconfidence that one will find a decent job. (law school comes to mind)

Anyway, I sent you proof.

Last edited by Alphalogica; 03-04-2011 at 09:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities