Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 07:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I don't think you can possibly compare a top 10 university to a for profit school. That said, there are a lot of places where a degree is just something necessary to check of a list to make you eligible for a position. Especially if you have prior work experience that is going to speak much louder than the degree, it might make sense to go to the cheapest, easiest university you can find.

It just depends on your goals.
That sure as h*** wouldn't be a for-profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
One problem that I've noticed with not-for-profit universities and community colleges is that it's EXTREMELY difficult to find programs that will accommodate a non-traditional student who has a full time job. My partner didn't finish college because his family ran into financial trouble (he left school to get a job to help them out) but wasn't able to return to school so he doesn't have a college degree. We've been looking at bachelor's degree programs and it's very hard to find something that offers only evening and weekend classes (or online classes) that isn't a for-profit institution. The not-for-profit universities that we've found that DO offer some sort of alternative schedule for undergrad degrees often only offer (in my opinion useless) degrees like 'liberal studies', but nothing more practical, like business or accounting (which is what he's interested in).

I think this is one area in which not-for-profit universities could improve. My partner is very bright, but can't afford to stop working in order to attend college classes during the day.
Since you live in Denver, have you looked at DU or Metro?

Old 06-14-2011, 02:02 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
There are so many distance learning degrees out there
I've been trying to find a good list out there for places that offer a distance learning degree for a BS in Public Administration but I've had no luck. Are there any out there? Ones that are accredited of course.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:37 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I mean, most of the people I've come across in the professional world in the past two and half years have gone through some for-profit program at some point. I'm talking UPhoenix, Art Institute, Argosy, Westwood, ITT, etc. I meet folks who've attended everything from MBA programs to nursing programs to graphic design programs at these schools. And guess what? They're all working. They all have professional level jobs.
Ummm....they were most likely "working professionals" before they earned their degrees...

Old 06-15-2011, 05:43 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
One problem that I've noticed with not-for-profit universities and community colleges is that it's EXTREMELY difficult to find programs that will accommodate a non-traditional student who has a full time job. My partner didn't finish college because his family ran into financial trouble (he left school to get a job to help them out) but wasn't able to return to school so he doesn't have a college degree. We've been looking at bachelor's degree programs and it's very hard to find something that offers only evening and weekend classes (or online classes) that isn't a for-profit institution. The not-for-profit universities that we've found that DO offer some sort of alternative schedule for undergrad degrees often only offer (in my opinion useless) degrees like 'liberal studies', but nothing more practical, like business or accounting (which is what he's interested in).

I think this is one area in which not-for-profit universities could improve. My partner is very bright, but can't afford to stop working in order to attend college classes during the day.
There are lots of non-profit programs that fit the bill; especially if you are considering online options. Nova Southeastern University has an online accounting program. For sure there are others (Nova is private; so kinda expensive).

Also I am a liberal arts grad. I wouldn't knock it; especially if the choice is "liberal arts degree" vs. "no degree". An L.A. degree can be excellent preparation for graduate school....in that you can work in the prerequisites to help you gain admission into professional programs like medicine, law and business.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:23 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,237 times
How would you guys rate Kaplan University?

Old 08-20-2011, 11:22 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,273 times
I'm not familiar enough with for-profit universities to be able to argue for or against them, but someone earlier in this thread (probably weeks or even months ago now) raised the objection to them on the basis that they promise the moon and leave students riddled with $150K in debts.

I'm wondering how this is different from many of the non-profit universities out there, particularly some of the more specialized programs at the elite universities. There are plenty of people -- probably millions -- who have graduated from traditional universities with staggering debts and minimal job prospects. They might have jobs, but they're not in any way, shape, or form what they were told they could expect when they graduated. Granted, career advisers are not fortune tellers, but still...if the argument against for-profits is that they over-sell and under-deliver, I don't think that's really a point to emphasize if I were trying to argue the advantages of going to a traditional school.

I would agree that reputation and credibility of the program is more likely to be an issue. That being the case, I think for-profit schools are probably an okay option for those who have a lot of experience and are looking to complement their skills with having some or even just a minimal amount of theory behind it. On the other hand, those who are looking to establish an educational pedigree would probably be better off trying to get into a program that has a reputation and manageable tuition costs.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:50 PM

155 posts, read 291,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I'm not familiar enough with for-profit universities to be able to argue for or against them, but someone earlier in this thread (probably weeks or even months ago now) raised the objection to them on the basis that they promise the moon and leave students riddled with $150K in debts.

I'm wondering how this is different from many of the non-profit universities out there, particularly some of the more specialized programs at the elite universities. There are plenty of people -- probably millions -- who have graduated from traditional universities with staggering debts and minimal job prospects. They might have jobs, but they're not in any way, shape, or form what they were told they could expect when they graduated. Granted, career advisers are not fortune tellers, but still...if the argument against for-profits is that they over-sell and under-deliver, I don't think that's really a point to emphasize if I were trying to argue the advantages of going to a traditional school.

I would agree that reputation and credibility of the program is more likely to be an issue. That being the case, I think for-profit schools are probably an okay option for those who have a lot of experience and are looking to complement their skills with having some or even just a minimal amount of theory behind it. On the other hand, those who are looking to establish an educational pedigree would probably be better off trying to get into a program that has a reputation and manageable tuition costs.

Well put!!

Old 08-20-2011, 08:26 PM

165 posts, read 323,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
How would you guys rate Kaplan University?
Kaplan is owned by the The Washington Post, Inc.

Would you want a degree conferred to you by a school that is owned by a newspaper company? lol

It's also the same company that sells the test prep books. They should have stuck with test prep and stayed out of the realm of providing education in the form of a college degree.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:09 AM

155 posts, read 291,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBound09 View Post
Kaplan is owned by the The Washington Post, Inc.

Would you want a degree conferred to you by a school that is owned by a newspaper company? lol

It's also the same company that sells the test prep books. They should have stuck with test prep and stayed out of the realm of providing education in the form of a college degree.
The same can be said for public institutions...do we want our higher education system owned and run by a bunch of bureaucrats and politicians? No, but that is what we have for the most part.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:51 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
I don't think there is really any good argument to enrolling at a for-profit school with the exception of convenience and inability to be accepted into a traditional program...

Reputation: For-profits have a less than stellar reputation with potential employers....the studies have been done and they show what one would expect, employers will take a brick and mortar grad over a for-profit on-line grad nearly every time.

Cost: Not even an argument, for-profits charge exorbitant fees' for diplomas that aren't worth the paper they are printed on. Predatory loan practices and hard sell tactics are rampant in this industry.

Graduation rate: Just horrible percentages which speaks to the industry's practice of taking all comers, no admission requirements or selectivity needed....

Future educational plans: Try to further your "education" outside of the online for-profit world. Good luck getting into a graduate program or having your credits transfer to a "real" school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities