U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 09:43 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,541,527 times

Advertisements

So, I know this professor at the next college I am going to. He does not agree with my viewpoints or opinions. He thinks I'm immature and one-sided. And he is anti-religious while I'm in a religion. He keeps saying to me "watch out because you never know who your professors will be" And its like he is going to stalk me or talk behind my back. What do I do? Ugh I don't like going to a new college knowing somebody doesn't like me or agree with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 10:41 PM

12,476 posts, read 16,980,854 times
Most of the professors and students at the college are probably going to disagree with you, that is life.

Anyhow, a professor doesn't have to like you, all he has to do is treat you fairly. It sounds like you have some sort of existing relationship with him, perhaps he is just kindly asking you not to take one of his classes due to this pre-existing relationship.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:47 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,541,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Most of the professors and students at the college are probably going to disagree with you, that is life.

Anyhow, a professor doesn't have to like you, all he has to do is treat you fairly. It sounds like you have some sort of existing relationship with him, perhaps he is just kindly asking you not to take one of his classes due to this pre-existing relationship.
Yeah. So I will try to avoid contact with this person. But If I can't be respectful I guess.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:04 PM

2,502 posts, read 7,889,555 times
Do you have to take classes with this professor? If not, don't worry about it - you'll probably rarely see him.

If you do have to take classes with him, then you'll have to prove to him that you're not immature. Be respectful and allow him to teach his lessons without arguing with him on every point. It can be tempting to express your own opinions during class, but if you know that your comments will irritate the professor and create problems, it's better just to hold your tongue.

In life, there are going to be millions of people who don't agree with your opinions. Truthfully, I think this professor is just trying to help you. He's right. You need to be careful about what you say and how strongly you present your opinions, because you never know who you might offend. Your future professors will come from all different backgrounds, so it's better to be cautious than to be overly opinionated and risk offended them.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:53 AM

1,055 posts, read 2,055,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
So, I know this professor at the next college I am going to. He does not agree with my viewpoints or opinions. He thinks I'm immature and one-sided. And he is anti-religious while I'm in a religion. He keeps saying to me "watch out because you never know who your professors will be" And its like he is going to stalk me or talk behind my back. What do I do? Ugh I don't like going to a new college knowing somebody doesn't like me or agree with me.
How do you know him?

Is he disagreeing with you in a mean "I hate your guts" way or a "friendly debate" way?

Do you have the tendency to be the one in class who always raises your hand when you are slighlty offended and voice your opinion, sometimes taking up a majority of the class time? Does this happy every to every other class?

Are you 100% sure he is going to stalk you and talk about you, or are you being paranoid?

I am not blaming you at this point. I just think that there are two sides to every story. This seems very simplified, as if there is a piece of the puzzle missing. Usually, professors won't act so "out of wack" in fear of losing their jobs and cred among others. What has he done exactly? I can give you suggestions if you give more information.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:57 AM

4,037 posts, read 8,849,730 times
That's part of what college is all about. Hearing other points of view. It's not just about learning what's in the text book. You don't need professors to do that. It's about making you think about things in different ways. Sometimes that might mean changing your mind, or sometimes that might mean agreeing to disagree.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:04 AM

4,033 posts, read 8,257,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Do you have to take classes with this professor? If not, don't worry about it - you'll probably rarely see him.

If you do have to take classes with him, then you'll have to prove to him that you're not immature. Be respectful and allow him to teach his lessons without arguing with him on every point. It can be tempting to express your own opinions during class, but if you know that your comments will irritate the professor and create problems, it's better just to hold your tongue.

In life, there are going to be millions of people who don't agree with your opinions. Truthfully, I think this professor is just trying to help you. He's right. You need to be careful about what you say and how strongly you present your opinions, because you never know who you might offend. Your future professors will come from all different backgrounds, so it's better to be cautious than to be overly opinionated and risk offended them.
The whole point of college is to discuss and learn. It is not immature to express one's opinions nor should a student censure his or herself b/c he/she knows that his/her opinion differs from that of the prof, or out of fear that there will be retaliation from an offended professor. If that's the case, then there's no point in going to college.

To the OP: find a college that suits you, where the profs value differences of opinion and debate; speak to profs at colleges and feel them out before you start attending. These will be the professors who value you as a student and will always write good recs for you. No reputable professor would ever write a student a bad rec b/c he/she didn't agree with him/her. In fact, I would classify your current prof's comments as very unprofessional.

I am opinionated as well and often bring up issues in class, but my profs value them, especially at the grad level where classes are small and discussion is promoted. I've had profs, like you, who don't appreciate my opinion but, then, I have also had students approach me after class thankful that I expressed a differing opinion b/c it was what they had been thinking but had been too afraid to express. Those ideas have also laid the ground work for exciting research projects that offer a fresh perspective.

Moreover, I have had some very memorable and exciting classes b/c I spoke up, prompting others to speak up as well. College is all about exchanging ideas. The only thing you have to be aware of is being able to debate without getting (noticeably) upset. Also, you can't engage the prof the entire class; pick your spots and make sure it is relevant to the topic at hand. If the prof is getting annoyed, back off.

Academia is notoriously liberal but most professors are professional enough to respect others' opinions, even if they are conservative in ralation to the prof's opinions. Furthermore, profs who have done extensive research will value a fresh perspective, even if they don't agree with it, if it is backed up by a well-researched and well-thought argument. In fact, that is actually the whole point of grad school.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:13 AM

9,360 posts, read 15,818,519 times
I didn't agree with a lot of my professors' views. Sometimes that's just the way it is. It is not going to hurt you to be exposed to other viewpoints. Unless you are going to a very small school, you won't have to take any classes with him. Maybe you are immature and one-sided and he is simply trying to challenge you to open your mind a little.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:25 AM

12,904 posts, read 18,464,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Here's a wild thought... Maybe a college professor who is probably at least twice your age, has devoted his live to the study of a subject and earned a PHD in the process DOES know more than you.

There are jerks of all types. You don't have to like him, you don't have to see the world as he does and once you are done with college you'll never see him again...

...but boatloads of money are being spent for you to have time with him and you'd be a fool to not learn from him. My advice is to do less head butting and more listening. It's pointless to try to sway the opinion of a "know it all"; dig though his box of knowledge, take what is good for you and forget about him when it's all done. He doesn't "know it all" for sure, but I bet he knows more than you about at least a few things.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:26 AM

7,099 posts, read 23,906,180 times
There is a big difference between the professor that doesn't like your opinions, and one that doesn't like YOU. Be sure you know the difference.

He may value your opinions, but if you present them in a way that is immature, then you need to think about growing up a bit. He isn't like your mommie or daddy, he expects you to act like an adult.

Listen to opposite opinions, Try to understand how and why other people disagree with you. You don't have to agree with them, but you need to understand how they have arrived at their opinions if you expect them to listen to yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities