Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 02:32 AM

62 posts, read 93,869 times

Advertisements

Yeah thats what I have planned as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 04:55 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Congratulations on your acceptance to such a diverse group of Universities. All 3 are similarly ranked, though Iowa at one time was ranked higher.

I think you have to decide the environment that best suits you for studying.

I've been to all but LSU.

Temple is an urban university, campus looked ok (nothing too stunning) and the neighborhood seemed safe in spots and not so safe in other spots. If you wanted an urban environment this would be for you.

Iowa has a beautiful campus and Iowa City is a nice town. Its relatively liberal for the midwest and you have easy access to Chicago. Lots of students from over 100 countries so you will find people from your country. If you wanted the typical all american college experience (big 10 football, etc) Iowa would be for you. Don't be afraid of winter. Coming from a warmer place... I got used to it and winter is now my favorite season. Chicago is not far away when you need a city. People are very nice. coming from California I was surpised how much I liked Iowa.

LSU. Don't know much about Baton Rouge or LSU thougjh I've been all over Louisiana several times. My brother is law is from BR and some areas are safe, others not so, he was happy to leave BR. Its hot and humid in the summer and it can get cold in the winter. Campus is pretty from what I've seen. Not sure it will give you the best college experience but neither can I say go for it (or avoid it).

Now if you had applied to Indiana University in Bloomington and gotten in.. I would not hesitate to recomment that Uni and town.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:24 AM

Hello,thanks for your kind reply.Unfortunately I havent applied to Indiana University in Bloomington but I did apply to the University of Oregon but Im still waiting for their reply.If you were in my place,would you go Iowa or Temple.I mean not considering the location,what would you choose to get the better education ?

Old 03-20-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengerr91 View Post
Hello,thanks for your kind reply.Unfortunately I havent applied to Indiana University in Bloomington but I did apply to the University of Oregon but Im still waiting for their reply.If you were in my place,would you go Iowa or Temple.I mean not considering the location,what would you choose to get the better education ?
Personally, Iowa. At least it makes the Times education list of a top 200 global university. The others don't.

If Oregon says yes.. I'd go to Oregon. Love the area and the Uni is very nice.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:38 PM

And Iowa would be a close or a distant second ?

Old 03-21-2011, 01:16 PM

I mean Temple

Old 03-22-2011, 06:17 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
If all the academics are equal, then it seems you are mostly looking for a social fit and I think as an international student, Temple would be the best choice. You will be able to find people with similar backgrounds at Temple. Also, the public transportation in Philadelphia is the best of any of the colleges you've mentioned. There's a rail station right in the middle of campus at Temple and that will take you anywhere. You can easily hop on a train at the airport and go right to campus.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:34 AM

I chose Iowa today,submitted the final documents for the visa.In the end it was quite a big gap in the academics and Iowa seemed the better choice overall.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengerr91 View Post
I chose Iowa today,submitted the final documents for the visa.In the end it was quite a big gap in the academics and Iowa seemed the better choice overall.
Congratulations. I just went to their site to look at campus photos.. I had forgotten how nice their campus looked (though not as nice as the University in Australia that I had attended.. kidding!)

Old 03-27-2011, 02:36 AM

Thank you.The campus looks really nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities