Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 03:24 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,722,396 times

Advertisements

Yes, I've had to provide specific GPAs for some jobs (well after graduation), too. I would never now provide specific GPA without it being specified, but my honors ALWAYS goes on it. It would be silly not to include it. I can't imagine it ever being a liability; for those who have encountered the random interviewer who is hostile because he or she notes the high grades, that seems like it should serve as a a big red flag that it's a bad place to work, anyway. I can certainly believe that most employers don't care about the college grades of an applicant, but it shows a problem if they have a problem with good grades. What would it be like to work somewhere like that? Would you always have to work on never looking too "smart" or like you're trying too hard? I wouldn't bring it up in an interview unless asked, but if you have a degree with honors then it absolutely belongs on the resume. In almost all situations it can't hurt, and if it does, are you so desperate that you'd take that job anyway? I figure it's sort of like major. You list your major on your resume, even if it's not directly relevant to the job in question. I really like being able to put the honors on a resume; it gets across the fact that you did well in school, but without the clunkiness factor of putting an actual GPA (unless requested, of course).

I wouldn't take advice from someone who brags about getting by with the bare minimum in college; while I don't think performance in college is necessarily directly linked to performance in the work world, someone with the philosophy of doing just enough to get by is probably not a good role model for either educational or career success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 07:27 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,307,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I graduated *** Laude last year. Upon the completion of my last course I believe my GPA was 3.75. I was proud of myself as I worked hard to obtain my degree. My husband told his mother of my honor status and my sister n law who holds a masters piped in that *** Laude is handed out like candy. From what I know my sister n law did not graduate with honors so not sure if she was just trying to make a dig (she is a b****h). Anyway, should I put it on my resume or is my sister n law correct, that it really isn't that big of a deal? I am still proud of myself but in terms of letting others know of this status, does it matter?
It is sorta handed out like candy. But you should still put it on your resume and still be proud. I would not bring it up in any conversations or interviews.

If you got it with a major that is easier, and somebody in Physics, Engineering, or Mathematics didn't get it, it certainly doesn't mean that you are smarter or better than them. It means nothing for your job prospects either.

As far as your SIL goes, she'll probably be an underachiever in life as she was in college.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Now much its valued dependso n the degreee but in many cases the top ten per cent are always the most in demand . Now much demnd depends on the numbers and degree type.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Quote:
I graduated *** Laude last year. Upon the completion of my last course I believe my GPA was 3.75. I was proud of myself as I worked hard to obtain my degree. My husband told his mother of my honor status and my sister n law who holds a masters piped in that *** Laude is handed out like candy. From what I know my sister n law did not graduate with honors so not sure if she was just trying to make a dig (she is a b****h). Anyway, should I put it on my resume or is my sister n law correct, that it really isn't that big of a deal? I am still proud of myself but in terms of letting others know of this status, does it matter?
I really don't see why you botehr with tem;by now thatif in the right field fro the right university should show its value. Congraduations.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:15 PM

624 posts, read 1,246,851 times
"Talk don't cook rice"...you'll be hired because you have a good attitude, responsible actions and can follow directions. Nobody cares that you can write in a blue book or take a multiple choice test.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
I've been involved in hiring, and I definitely give significant weight to evidence of scholarship (of which honors designations are obviously only one of many possible indications). Probably because I, like most competent interviewers, understand that true scholarship entails more than writing in a blue book or taking a multiple choice test.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:13 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,722,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I've been involved in hiring, and I definitely give significant weight to evidence of scholarship (of which honors designations are obviously only one of many possible indications). Probably because I, like most competent interviewers, understand that true scholarship entails more than writing in a blue book or taking a multiple choice test.
I agree with this 100%; I've hired people, too, and while I never focused on honors one way or the other, it would be something that we'd note as a positive.

To the earlier poster who suggested that one would be hired because of "good attitude, responsible actions, and can follow directions" -- isn't that exactly what graduating with honors demonstrates? It's not the only way to demonstrate those skills, of course, but to graduate with high grades requires that one put in time and effort, not to mention follow the professors' directions and meet deadlines.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:18 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,374,384 times
Quote:
It is a very big deal, and don't you let anyone tell you otherwise. You worked hard to achieve that honor, so be proud of it. It makes you one of few and signifies academic excellence at a level achieved by few.

Definitely put it down whenever you list your degree.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:45 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,029 times
I don't understand the comment that she made, that it is handed out like candy! Yes, it is handed out like candy to everyone who worked hard enough to earn a certain GPA!

I also graduated summa *** laude with a 4.0...no employer has ever mentioned it, I have never mentioned it to them either, but it is on my resume, why not? I have seen a few job listings in the past that said, must have earned a minimum 3.? or something like that, but I've only seen it once or twice.

Really, it should be considered a wonderful, PERSONAL, accomplishment, more than anything else.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:09 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,443,317 times
Quote:
It's not a huge deal, but it definitely means something. Not everyone has the brains and dedication to earn strong academic results. I have high GPAs/rankings from undergrad and grad school, and I absolutely put those in the Education section of my resume. Why not? It isn't going to have people bending over backwards for you, but it's one more positive data point that can't hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities