Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 12:44 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times

Advertisements

I graduated *** Laude last year. Upon the completion of my last course I believe my GPA was 3.75. I was proud of myself as I worked hard to obtain my degree. My husband told his mother of my honor status and my sister n law who holds a masters piped in that *** Laude is handed out like candy. From what I know my sister n law did not graduate with honors so not sure if she was just trying to make a dig (she is a b****h). Anyway, should I put it on my resume or is my sister n law correct, that it really isn't that big of a deal? I am still proud of myself but in terms of letting others know of this status, does it matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 12:54 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,278 times
Different schools have different standards in terms of honors but I would say 3.75 is a high overall GPA. Congratulations! You must be a very diligent student! Best of luck to you in the future!

Old 03-16-2011, 12:57 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,859 times
Unfortunately, no, it's not a big deal. Nobody cared that I got a 4.0 in college; and I found that even mentioning it made the interviewers resentful. Since they probably didn't do as well, put it on the resume but don't mention it (unless you're interviewing for a technical job, but if those truly need technical expertise, they'll quiz you).

Employers want friendly, personable people that they will enjoy working with. Smart people tend to annoy those not as intelligent, so hide it!

Old 03-16-2011, 05:08 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
I believe it is just a great personal accomplishment. Other than a college application, I wonder if anyone else cares outside of family.?

Old 03-16-2011, 05:56 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,978 times
I don't think it could ever hurt you to put it down. 3.75 is impressive.

But to play the devil's advocate, if I told you that I had a 4.0, would you resent me? If so, NHart has a good point.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:52 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Apparently, it means you need to have your mouth washed out with soap.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:54 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Wth? Anyone who resents anyone else's gpa needs to seriously grow up.

Is CL a 'big deal'? I don't know...depends on what the school has set up for their cut-offs, I guess. Also, depends on your major (in my opinion).

Old 03-16-2011, 08:17 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,900 times
It's an honor that I think you'd want to mention on your resume. And it was meaningful in the graduation ceremony. You should feel a sense of accomplishment in your high GPA. But in the real world, your on the job performance is what your professional life will be based on.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:18 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,581,539 times
I would go ahead and put it on your resume. There's no harm in listing it. Some people will likely consider it a positive thing. Others may not care as much, but again, I don't think it will hurt anything to list it.

Probably part of the issue is that all GPA's are not created the same. I don't pretend to think that the "A" I got in an art elective was the same as the one my roommate got in Organic Chemistry. I sat there every night while she studied for hours, cried, tried to throw that textbook out the window, cursed her professor, etc. I might have earned my "A" too, but hers came at a much higher price. Yet, when it came time to calculate GPA? They were counted equally. Additionally, some universities are more demanding than others.

Still, a 3.75 speaks well for what you were expected to do for your college and program and no matter if others give it weight or not, there's no harm in listing it.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:28 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,551,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I graduated *** Laude last year. Upon the completion of my last course I believe my GPA was 3.75. I was proud of myself as I worked hard to obtain my degree. My husband told his mother of my honor status and my sister n law who holds a masters piped in that *** Laude is handed out like candy. From what I know my sister n law did not graduate with honors so not sure if she was just trying to make a dig (she is a b****h). Anyway, should I put it on my resume or is my sister n law correct, that it really isn't that big of a deal? I am still proud of myself but in terms of letting others know of this status, does it matter?
I suppose it varies with employers. Some may see it as someone that works hard to be at the top of the group. In other words as trying harder at what you do then the rest. To me that is an indicator but is not the only one would look at as the most critical factor. It is one more indicator to come up with a conclusion of that person, take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities