U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Mass Communication vs Mechanical Engineering Degree
Mass Communication 3 10.00%
Mechanical Engineering 27 90.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-25-2011, 09:33 AM

10,009 posts, read 4,456,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
This types of question are hard to answer.

It depends on sector, and it depends on what expertise (if any) you do within your field or study OR

"Mass communications" is very general, and a mechanical engineer would probably earn more.

But I hate it how people get degrees for what is in demand. Really though one should estimate what will be in demand in 5-10 years, and also they should always pair their degree with something else to give them a comparative advantage, and also it's advisable to have a specializtion/concentration within one's program. That allows for one to be unique, general/versatile, and an expert depending on what the situation calls for--you cover all your bases.

"Law". = bad.
"Law" + fluent in Russian + specialization in Corporate Law = Good.

"History" = bad.
"History" + fluent in Chinese + specialization in East Asian history = Good.

etc.
Actually, that is not that great and potentially bad. First you are discussing the holy grail of law international corporate law I call it this because everyone and their cousin wants it, but it doesn’t really exist, at least not on a substantial scale. I know of one person who does this. He had Law + Japanese + Harvard + Law review. He was also the 1/7 SAs with those type qualifications they liked and decided to hire. Everyone wants corporate big law and that is shrinking, international corporate is a small subset of corporate law. Corporate IP law is also getting glutted. Essentially, unless you went to a good school, are at the top of your class and made law review your chances of landing such a job in international corporate law are near non-existent regardless of whether you know Russian. This is because there are going to be a bunch of people out there who also know Russian and are competing with you for those 7 jobs that require a law degree and knowledge of Russian. Chances are a fair amount of them also did better than you and went to better schools. Also if you don’t get that job where are you going to apply, you likely won’t have litigation skills since a lot of corporate law involves writing memos and helping to draft contracts, and for new associates, not so much, if any, arguing in trial courts. Furthermore if your specialty is corporate and you don’t get it why would a criminal, real property, family, or tort based employer (which is what a lot of the available legal work is) want you when they could hire criminal, family, or tort specialty lawyers many of whom have litigation experence.

Now law + litigation skills + good networking = good
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 10:13 AM

12,210 posts, read 5,442,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
I was just curious what your opinions were.

Thanks.

My opinion:

Attractive people who can also speak fluently have a chance to get jobs as "journalists" on TV with a communications degree. Those who aren't both attractive and well spoken? Well, they can look forward to a career as management trainees.

Mechanical engineering opportunities are much more merit based. If you're a good engineer, your boss won't care much about your pretty face. Your performance will determine your future.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:13 PM

129 posts, read 179,552 times
Statistically speaking, ME is the way to go if the average Joe wants a job quick after school.. however if you are a powerful communicator a communications degree might be something you want to look at.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:57 AM

2,529 posts, read 2,469,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
My opinion:

Attractive people who can also speak fluently have a chance to get jobs as "journalists" on TV with a communications degree. Those who aren't both attractive and well spoken? Well, they can look forward to a career as management trainees.

Mechanical engineering opportunities are much more merit based. If you're a good engineer, your boss won't care much about your pretty face. Your performance will determine your future.
I'm black so I defiantly want a fair chance.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:34 AM

4,334 posts, read 3,371,793 times
Quote:
My opinion:

This is generally true, although there is MUCH more arse-kissing and office politics in engineering than you might imagine.

But to succeed in PR, HR, or journalism, you're going to have to be a much more charming SOB...

Old 07-23-2011, 03:33 PM

159 posts, read 132,862 times
A Mass Comm degree is almost the equivalent to have a degree in Basketweaving

ME is pretty much the way to go in terms of job security and earning potential

Old 07-23-2011, 05:36 PM

4,334 posts, read 3,371,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBound09 View Post
A Mass Comm degree is almost the equivalent to have a degree in Basketweaving

ME is pretty much the way to go in terms of job security and earning potential
That's not quite the way it works in the real world.

A tall handsome, charming man who has a degree in Mass Communications from say Bridgeport College and gets his foot in the door in say advertising or sales and busts his a@@ could work his way up the ladder and make $150-200K eventually in a management position if he knows how to play the game.

Meanwhile, a hard working unassuming Mechanical Engineer with a degree from UCBerkeley without the right 'leadership qualities' might be stuck as a Senior Engineer making 80K.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:02 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,603,103 times
Quote:
My opinion:

LOL! So true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
I'm black so I defiantly want a fair chance.
So this is why you're going into engineering? Malo.

I doubt you're old enough to appreciate the fair chances you have because of others before you. Regardless of the degree you earn, this hint of pessimism and cynicism won't get you far in your career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
That's not quite the way it works in the real world.

A tall handsome, charming man who has a degree in Mass Communications from say Bridgeport College and gets his foot in the door in say advertising or sales and busts his a@@ could work his way up the ladder and make $150-200K eventually in a management position if he knows how to play the game.

Meanwhile, a hard working unassuming Mechanical Engineer with a degree from UCBerkeley without the right 'leadership qualities' might be stuck as a Senior Engineer making 80K.
Yep. It's really the individual, not the degree.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:28 PM

26,365 posts, read 51,661,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom53 View Post
Im sorry can u be more descriptive? I see: City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Mass communications degree Vs Mechanical engineering degree

I dont see the New thread button anywhere can u give the web link where the button is?

Did you major in mass communications?

Old 07-25-2011, 09:04 PM

12,167 posts, read 9,507,163 times
Seriously? This is like comparing cow intestine to New York Strip....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities