Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 07:02 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
I'm looking at the actual employment figure given by the ACS. What are you looking at?

I will admit I know a lot of ChemE's from all ranks and they are all pretty much employed, but that doesn't mean much for the next generation who is graduating with an unemployment rate of close to 20%. That is cause for alarm. What is that number compared to other engineering BS degrees?
So why is ChemE the third highest paid major?

I live in Texas, oil and gas companies are hiring ChemE's here all day long. So I don't know what you are all talking about. Most of them make over $80K/year within 2 years. Think they are paying them that much just for fun? Or might it have something to do with demand?

Sure if you have a low GPA (< 2.8) it will be hard to find a job. That is the same for any field. If you get a good GPA, from a good school in ChemE I wouldn't worry about finding a job...

The engineering degrees are still the best and most desirable degrees for undergrad you can get. Go back and look at my link of highest paid majors I posted. Those are actual starting salaries. http://www.payscale.com/best-colleges/degrees.asp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 07:08 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
So why is ChemE the third highest paid major?

I live in Texas, oil and gas companies are hiring ChemE's here all day long. So I don't know what you are all talking about. Most of them make over $80K/year within 2 years. Think they are paying them that much just for fun? Or might it have something to do with demand?

Sure if you have a low GPA (< 2.8) it will be hard to find a job. That is the same for any field. If you get a good GPA, from a good school in ChemE I wouldn't worry about finding a job...

The engineering degrees are still the best and most desirable degrees for undergrad you can get.
i think the argument you guys are having shouldn't focus on whether it is a good degree to have or not but whether or not they have too many people getting degrees in a field with limited demand. perhaps american graduate shcools should start doing like american law and medical schools do. put restrictions on how many people they let through the ringer.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:15 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I suspect that's the problem. Manufacturing is leaving this country (US) so the demand for chemical engineers is falling. I've only seen two postings for chemical engineering positions, in my area, in the past year, and both required a PhD. I only have a masters so I couldn't even apply. I'm not willing to go back to school for a PhD in a field that is disappearing.

The university I recieved my BChE from no longer offers the major (once known for it). They haven't for several years. At least here in the united states, it appears to be a dying field.
That will change pretty soon. Manufacturing is actually back up.

Chemical Engineering is defintely not a dying feild.

Last edited by Raging-Hetero; 03-24-2011 at 07:40 AM..

Old 03-24-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
i think the argument you guys are having shouldn't focus on whether it is a good degree to have or not but whether or not they have too many people getting degrees in a field with limited demand. perhaps american graduate shcools should start doing like american law and medical schools do. put restrictions on how many people they let through the ringer.
Okay-- then if not ChemE-- then what major should people be getting?

What major is more in demand (other than Petroleum Eng, and Mechanical Eng) than ChemE that offers a similar starting salary with just an undergrad degree?

Old 03-24-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
That will change pretty soon. Manufacturing is actually back up.

Chemical Engineering is defintely not a dying feild.
Yeah I agree, I don't know where people are getting this idea that Manufacturing is declining in the USA... It isn't growing as fast as China or Japan-- but it certainly isn't declining. China and Japan's economies and populations are growing at such a rate that it only make sense that their manufacturing industry would grow with them. They are "catching up" not "passing us." Once they reach our manufacturing rate, their rate of growth will definitely slow down.

"According to the latest United Nations Statistics data (http://unstats.un.org/unsd/snaama/dnllist.asp) the United States is the largest manufacturing nation, with an output of approximately $1.83 Trillion. This is followed by China at $1.79T, with these two nations far outstripping any other nations (Japan $1.05T, Germany $767B and Italy $381B)."

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_count...y_in_the_world

Old 03-24-2011, 07:49 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,357 times
Quote:

What major is more in demand (other than Petroleum Eng, and Mechanical Eng) than ChemE that offers a similar starting salary with just an undergrad degree?
As far as Versatility or potential employment options goes in a Bachelors Degree, I believe ChemE takes the top spot. I could be wrong but I doubt that.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:55 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,984 times
Quote:

you are missing the whole point. your value isn't IN the degree, it's IN what YOU do with that degree or any other degree. i think that's the difference between kids who grew up in the burbs vs. kids who grew up in the city. people aren't hiring cold bodies with "special degrees". lots of majors are in demand. just depends on what industry you are in. a ChemE degree is useless to someone living in hollywood. A marine science degree is useless to someone living in las vegas. and so on and so forth. Just because you come out of school making 60k a year as a chemE major doesn't mean you'll be making $600k 30 years from now. likewise, just because you come out of school making $20k as a history major, doesn't mean you'll be making $40k 30 years from now. ultimately it's up the ambition and drive of the individual with those degrees to decide where they will go professionally. i am living proof of that my friend.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
you are missing the whole point. your value isn't IN the degree, it's IN what YOU do with that degree or any other degree. i think that's the difference between kids who grew up in the burbs vs. kids who grew up in the city. people aren't hiring cold bodies with "special degrees". lots of majors are in demand. just depends on what industry you are in. a ChemE degree is useless to someone living in hollywood. A marine science degree is useless to someone living in las vegas. and so on and so forth. Just because you come out of school making 60k a year as a chemE major doesn't mean you'll be making $600k 30 years from now. likewise, just because you come out of school making $20k as a history major, doesn't mean you'll be making $40k 30 years from now. ultimately it's up the ambition and drive of the individual with those degrees to decide where they will go professionally. i am living proof of that my friend.
In general, starting salaries are very important.

If you start out making a salary in the top 15% of people in this country-- there is a good chance you will make more money in your lifetime then the top 15% of this country.

That is the point... Don't try to come back with any "special cases," we are talking in general, not about specific cases.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:37 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
From BLS
Engineers

Quote:
Chemical engineers are expected to have an employment decline of 2 percent over the projections decade. Overall employment in the chemical manufacturing industry is expected to continue to decline, although chemical companies will continue to employ chemical engineers to research and develop new chemicals and more efficient processes to increase output of existing chemicals. However, there will be employment growth for chemical engineers in service-providing industries, such as professional, scientific, and technical services, particularly for research in energy and the developing fields of biotechnology and nanotechnology.
Negative 2% growth is pretty bad. I normally consider BSL slanted too far optimistic.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
From BLS
Engineers

Negative 2% growth is pretty bad. I normally consider BSL slanted too far optimistic.
That is a really great website. Very interesting.

Still good opportunities for ChemE majors though. You have to take into account that those are for specific jobs-- ChemE majors become petroleum engineers (by profession) all the time. Petroleum engineering is experiencing 18% growth over the next decade according to the article.

They also become environmental engineers (by profession) which is experiencing 31% growth over the next decade.

With MechE, ChemE, and CivilE, your major doesn't decide which profession you choose to go into (but it does have a big effect on it)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities