Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 11:41 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times

Advertisements

I don't.

They got my name spelled right on the tuition bills, but they can't seem to get it right when they're soliciting me for money. I told them I won't donate until they fix it. It's been a decade. I'm still waiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 08:50 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,179 times
Used to, until I realized my school had discriminatory practices.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:36 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,551,562 times
Why do they ask for money?

If they wanted money from their alumni, shouldn't they help their graduates with job placement and recommendations?

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
I feel like my (former) university, as a whole, is wasteful, and they don't deserve any money from me. So no, I don't donate.

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I give annually, but give amounts I'm comfortable with at the time. I also target some of my gifts to programs relating to my major, or any other university program I'm interested in.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:45 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
If they wanted money from their alumni, shouldn't they help their graduates with job placement and recommendations?
That would cost them too much money . . .

Old 03-28-2011, 10:13 AM

659 posts, read 1,759,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
Why do they ask for money?

That would cost them too much money . . .
Actually - most large universities offer career services to alumni - the university where I work does. Now - depending on the structure of the alumni association - some offer limited services for free, then they charge after a certain number/level of consultations. BUT - even outside of the alumni association - if the university is large enough - the department you graduated from may offer their own direct alumni career services (mine does).

Have you emailed/called to ask if they offer that service? Some smaller universities don't - and Garfunkle is right - it is tied to funding availability.

But virtually ALL universities (large and small) do offer career services to students prior to graduation - for free - well, it's usually included in the fees that students pay with their tuition.

Java - see my earlier post about why they ask for money - because (roughly) only 1/3 of operating costs come from tuition and fees. If it is a state institution, roughly another 10-20% comes from state funding, but the rest has to be made up through private donations. Private universities have a very different funding model, so it can vary widely.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:15 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Yup. I donate to my undergrad (I believe they were truly awesome) and occasionally to my med school (I have less good feelings about them, but helping students with scholarships is still ok in my book). I contribute to my old high school in the form of very high property taxes...LOL!!!! Naw, they have never asked, but I'd be happy to.

What I'd really like to do is set up a foundation for kids going from my old high school to my undergrad school...give out a tuition scholarship or two every year. Give back.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:31 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinitegirl View Post
Actually - most large universities offer career services to alumni - the university where I work does. Now - depending on the structure of the alumni association - some offer limited services for free, then they charge after a certain number/level of consultations. BUT - even outside of the alumni association - if the university is large enough - the department you graduated from may offer their own direct alumni career services (mine does).

Have you emailed/called to ask if they offer that service? Some smaller universities don't - and Garfunkle is right - it is tied to funding availability.

But virtually ALL universities (large and small) do offer career services to students prior to graduation - for free - well, it's usually included in the fees that students pay with their tuition.

Java - see my earlier post about why they ask for money - because (roughly) only 1/3 of operating costs come from tuition and fees. If it is a state institution, roughly another 10-20% comes from state funding, but the rest has to be made up through private donations. Private universities have a very different funding model, so it can vary widely.
Yes mine did offer these services too. However, they are a bit of a farce. For example, career fairs often ended up with little or no job offers for new grads. There would be tons of interviews because companies hire people to recruit without giving the go-ahead for hiring. They are essentially recruiting for positions that don't exist. I took full advantage of every service offered (because I didn't have a plan B if I was unemployed) and I got my first job out of college off craigslist. I could be wrong (not trying to offend) but schools' career services departments exist more for helping companies fulfill their recruitment 'quotas' than for placing students in entry level positions. That was my experience anyway. It doesn't help that I graduated during the worst of the recession . . .

Old 03-28-2011, 11:18 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,533 times
Heck no I don't. I paid them enough money. They have enough big wigs they can solicit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities