Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 06:52 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times

Advertisements

Not every year, but I do donate to my high school.

I'm going to my 40th reunion next month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 07:21 PM

659 posts, read 1,759,657 times
OK - at the risk of getting pummelled by this group.... I'm a professional higher ed fundraiser. I think I just saw a rotten tomato fly past my head...

So I won't get on my soapbox because I know everyone has strong opinions about this. I'll just say 3 things, then I'll run away as the rotten tomatoes are flung in my direction:

1. If you're feeling harassed by calls - just pick up the phone and tell them to take your name off their list. They should stop calling. You can even be asked to be removed from all university communications - every university database has a coding function for this. But if you don't answer the phone, or you don't explicitly tell them to stop calling - like forever - you will get called again. It's a standard fundraising practice.

2. Tuition doesn't pay all the (university) bills. It varies widely from state to state and institution to institution, but it's a mathematical fact that tuition covers roughly 1/3 of operating costs (especially at state universities - this mathematical equation is very different at private/ivy league schools) - the next time you get a phone call - ask them to give you the breakdown of tuition vs. state funding (if it's not a private institution) vs. donations - I promise they know those numbers by heart and can send you a budget pie chart and operating cost figures.*

*This point comes with a huge caveat that there can be some wasteful spending - particularly at very large state institutions, but even trimming the wasteful spending wouldn't make up 2/3 of the operating costs that aren't covered by tuition dollars.

3. Even if you don't contribute to your alma mater - contribute somewhere - even if you just contribute your time - there are lots of needs to go around and everybody's budget is getting slashed.

OK - pummel away...

Old 03-24-2011, 08:07 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
I've never really given to mine. Don't care enough. We've given to DH's periodically through the years. Now that we have a son attending the same school we don't. They were calling all the time. Last time they called, I told them that we would be happy to write them a nice check if they would waive our son's out of state tuition charge. The guy said they couldn't help us, and I said I couldn't help them.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:49 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,644 times
Never had; never will under any circumstance. I don't mind tithing for legitimate charities to help people, but university is last on my list. I am not paying for renovations on a football stadium.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:51 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I've never really given to mine. Don't care enough. We've given to DH's periodically through the years. Now that we have a son attending the same school we don't. They were calling all the time. Last time they called, I told them that we would be happy to write them a nice check if they would waive our son's out of state tuition charge. The guy said they couldn't help us, and I said I couldn't help them.

Imagine if he said yes to the OOS Tuition fee...you would have been inducted into the negotiator hall of fame!

Old 03-27-2011, 09:48 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
are you still in touch with your school?
Back when I was making decent wages I did. Due to the economy and switching careers into teaching, I can't afford to right now. I will resume when I can and I will write them into my will when my kids are raised (right now, everything I own goes to my sister who will be raising my kids for me if I should die).

I owe them. They gave me a free ride when I needed it. My goal is to pay that back before I die (or after, whichever the case my be).

Old 03-27-2011, 02:10 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
I gave some my first couple years out of college, but I gave directly to the business school. I don't like putting money in a general fund where it can go to sports or landscaping or whatever else. I wanted it to go to academic programs.

Now, I've lost most of my affinity for the school and give all our charitable donations to organizations that I believe are more important.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:21 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,699,219 times
I would have considered donating if not for the nickel-and-dime-ing they pulled upon graduation. Graduation fee, cap and gown fee, exit fee, diploma fee...

When I earned my master's, I told them I wasn't going to the ceremony and to just mail the diploma (or I'd pick it up). Nope, had to pay all the fees any way.

For my graduating class, they did a ****-poor job helping us find jobs. I'm not saying that they should get everyone a job. But, nearly all of the interviews I had through my school were more out of courtesy to the school rather than a real need by the company. But sure enough, they get to advertise that each graduate gets four to five interviews during their senior year thanks to the school.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:49 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I would have considered donating if not for the nickel-and-dime-ing they pulled upon graduation. Graduation fee, cap and gown fee, exit fee, diploma fee...

When I earned my master's, I told them I wasn't going to the ceremony and to just mail the diploma (or I'd pick it up). Nope, had to pay all the fees any way.

For my graduating class, they did a ****-poor job helping us find jobs. I'm not saying that they should get everyone a job. But, nearly all of the interviews I had through my school were more out of courtesy to the school rather than a real need by the company. But sure enough, they get to advertise that each graduate gets four to five interviews during their senior year thanks to the school.
Blame the companies for that. One company I worked with would go to colleges and insterview knowing full well they were not hiring any of the applicants. Someone in the personnel department, accidentally, left a list on the copy machine, one year, that listed the number of interviews, by school, and the number of students they would hire. The latter number was zero for most of the schools on the list. Unfortunately, the universities don't know which companies are doing that. IMO, they should keep track of which companies hire their grads and stop inviting the ones who don't.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:32 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinitegirl View Post
OK - at the risk of getting pummelled by this group.... I'm a professional higher ed fundraiser. I think I just saw a rotten tomato fly past my head...

So I won't get on my soapbox because I know everyone has strong opinions about this. I'll just say 3 things, then I'll run away as the rotten tomatoes are flung in my direction:

1. If you're feeling harassed by calls - just pick up the phone and tell them to take your name off their list. They should stop calling. You can even be asked to be removed from all university communications - every university database has a coding function for this. But if you don't answer the phone, or you don't explicitly tell them to stop calling - like forever - you will get called again. It's a standard fundraising practice.

2. Tuition doesn't pay all the (university) bills. It varies widely from state to state and institution to institution, but it's a mathematical fact that tuition covers roughly 1/3 of operating costs (especially at state universities - this mathematical equation is very different at private/ivy league schools) - the next time you get a phone call - ask them to give you the breakdown of tuition vs. state funding (if it's not a private institution) vs. donations - I promise they know those numbers by heart and can send you a budget pie chart and operating cost figures.*

*This point comes with a huge caveat that there can be some wasteful spending - particularly at very large state institutions, but even trimming the wasteful spending wouldn't make up 2/3 of the operating costs that aren't covered by tuition dollars.

3. Even if you don't contribute to your alma mater - contribute somewhere - even if you just contribute your time - there are lots of needs to go around and everybody's budget is getting slashed.

OK - pummel away...
Seconded this, though I am also a professional higher ed fundraiser (alumni relations, not soliciting myself).

If you don't specifically tell the school to stop calling you, they will continue to. It's just the way the database works. Don't harass the poor student worker who calls you- just ask to be coded "Do not call".

Even if you paid full tuition, that didn't nearly cover your costs of education. Donations subsidize everyone.

Rankings come from participation, not amount of giving. I am a recent grad and encouraged all of my friends upon graduation to give $1. Does it look ridiculous in the database (especially now that I work there)? A little. However, it helps with participation numbers.

More importantly, if you don't want to give to a football stadium or landscaping, specify where you want the money to go! The school will honor those requests. Almost all of my gifts go straight to the beleaguered Latin American studies program or study abroad.

Giving back doesn't always mean monetarily. Did you have a problem with your college career center? Offer to help mentor students, network with them (and, more importantly, teach them HOW to network), do mock interviews, help them find jobs or internships in your company, etc etc. Most alumni associations have tons of events that are either free or subsidized by the school. Check them out! Volunteer to host events, even if that just means making a few phone calls to get people involved. Be on committees, volunteer with reunion. There are so many ways to give back and help build the reputation of your school without putting forth one cent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities